Quark aa2 / Quark Turbo aa2... what's different???

LDB

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at the 4Sevens website at these two lights. They appear to be identical in performance figures but cost different amounts. What is the difference between the two? How does the $57 aa2 compare to other reasonably priced lights? Any good online sources for them? Anyone in Houston with a good B/M store to suggest? Thanks for any and all input.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello LDB --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

The Turbo model has a Larger Head.
This gives the light somewhat better "throw" (distance)

The "normal" head is the same diameter as the battery tube.

Both are EXCELLENT choices. (i know, i own 'em both) :)

Take yer' Pick -- ya' can't really go wrong.

Hope this is helpful.

Oh, when you order (from 4Sevens.com), make sure ya' use " CPF8 " for the 8% Discount.

You are gonna' LOVE either one of those Flashlights !

I know, cuz' i have BOTH of them.

:thumbsup:
_

carrot

Flashaholic
The AA^2 Regular and Tactical are the same, except that the Tactical offers two programmable modes that are instantly accessible and the Regular offers all its modes such that you can cycle through them quickly. And the tailswitch is different -- the Tactical allows you momentary output, whereas the Regular does not.

The Turbo is the same as the Tactical, except built tougher with a larger reflector. That makes it have better throw (higher concentrated hotspot).

LDB

Newly Enlightened
Now that I know what I'm looking for it's "well duh" apparent the reflector is larger on the turbo. I'll mostly want the low setting for making sure I don't step on my glasses or something and medium setting for looking for whatever stuff I've stowed away and want to retrieve. Once in a while I'll want the max setting to read numbers on a building or street sign or something when hunting for a consignee. I think I'll want the Turbo for times when I need the max setting working at it's best.

What batteries give the best performance with the Turbo?

Does the light fit in the included holster with the included handgrip installed?

Does anyone use the handgrip and if so when and how do you like it?

Thanks for all the input so far. It's definitely helpful.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound is in the Houston area. they are one of my favorite dealers. I lived in houston for a year in 2004, but this was before CPF :wave:

the turbo models have tactical interface. you have 2 user programmed modes, and can set either one from the 8 different modes available. programming it will take less than 30 seconds.

regular interface, you have all 8 modes availible all the time. with bezel/head tighten it turns on MAX. give the switch a tap, or click and it goes strobe. with head loose, it comes on moonlight mode, and with each tap or click of the switch, it turns to low, medium, high, SOS, and beacon.

the tailcaps are also different. the turbo and tactical models have a protruding switch. while the regular has a flat reverse clicky, which allows tailstanding. also the turbo tailcap is beefier.

great thing about the quarks are you can mix, and match parts, just becareful with the heads. there are 2 voltage level range heads.

eneloops are the best rechargeable options. energizer lithium AA are the best non-rechargeable option.

jsalmika

Newly Enlightened
the Tactical offers two programmable modes that are instantly accessible and the Regular offers all its modes such that you can cycle through them quickly. And the tailswitch is different -- the Tactical allows you momentary output, whereas the Regular does not.

While legoing with my 14500-powered AA I just noticed that combining a Tactical tailcap with a Regular head gives you quite nice access to the six modes in the opened position of the head - just press the button half-wise (momentary on) until the desired mode is on - and then press it fully. OT: the Turbo tailcap fits nicely, tailstands and works well also with the Quark fingergrip in my light (Edit: The fingergrip may not work as well in a longer AA2 body though)

Last edited:

LDB

Newly Enlightened

Does the light fit in the included holster with the included handgrip installed?

carrot

Flashaholic

Eneloops and other high quality NiMH batteries are generally the preferred battery. Lithium Primaries like Energizer Ultimate Lithium also work great. Alkalines will work fine but are not preferred due to their poorer performance.

The light does not fit in the holster with the handgrip installed. The handgrip is somewhat sticky and the holster is a bit tight.

The handgrip is nice, but I never bother. It is best if you are using the light in situations where you absolutely should not drop it (when flashlight retention is at a premium.)

Nero

Newly Enlightened

I have the Quark turbo 123. It does not fit in the holster with the handgrip.
I do believe the cr123a batteries have better runtime then AA. and its shorter!
Havent used the handgrip that much, but it will probably be useful in some situations. it has a tight fit so it will stay on! I also have a Quark tactical AA2 in neutral white. Its a great light , but the throw on the Turbo is so much better!

Go with the Turbo 123!

Batang Regla

Newly Enlightened
Hi candlepower

I have almost the same question but I dont want to make another thread.

If to choose between regular aa2 vs tactical aa2 which is the better light?

They have the same price 59 dollars.

thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi candlepower

I have almost the same question but I dont want to make another thread.

If to choose between regular aa2 vs tactical aa2 which is the better light?

They have the same price 59 dollars.

thanks
It's completely based on personal preference.

I prefer the Tactical UI.

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
great thing about the quarks are you can mix, and match parts, just becareful with the heads. there are 2 voltage level range heads.

I've been curious about this. For the Turbo AA² , a subject of the OP, 4Sevens has this "warning":

This model does not have "square" threading and is incompatible with other Quark series components.

Therefore, I'd have to assume that in purchasing the Turbo, one would not have the benefit of mixing & matching. Is that correct?