Would U Pay $25 to Run Tigerlight LAs in your Mag?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering. I am thinking about putting together a kit that would allow you to convert your Mag 2D or 3D into a torch that could use Tigerlight LAs. The kit would consist of:

1. Latest production Tigerlight lamp assembly, rim and stub machined to fit a Mag head
2. Bipin to PR adapter
3. Battery adapter tube to allow the use of 3xCR123 or 3xCR123+1AA lithium in a D-body.

This would convert the lame stock Mag 2D/3D into a non-rechargeable torch that could run Tigerlight LAs either the stock ones or the texturized ones from Flashlightlens.com.

Wilkey

Mods: I'm just trying to see if there would be any interest in such a conversion kit. If this in any way infringes on Tigerlight's rights, please feel free to delete this thread.

paulr

Flashaholic
It's a cute idea but I'd have to say it doesn't interest me much. I'm avoiding Mag stuff because of their bogus lawsuits, the Mag lights are considerably heavier than the Tigerlight, and it doesn't look economically attractive. At $20 for the Mag plus $25 for the mod plus $15 for the TL LA you're at about $60, while you can get a TL 8" for what, $80 or so, and the modded Mag isn't even rechargeable.

I like the Mag mods involving Carley reflectors (or MR16's) and high power bulbs better than the TL LA idea.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
Wilkey,
I'd probably buy one. Maybe you should sell the components ala carte. I'd probably be interested an extra TL to PR adapter.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Would U Pay $25 to Run Tigerlight LAs in your

paulr,
I understand your position regarding Maglite. As for the pricing, my proposal includes the first TL LA.

elnath,
A la carte leads to a handful of individual items of low to moderate value. I don't think it would be feasible to do this. I do recognize that if the PR adapters were more readily available, people would more readily be filling their Mags with TL LAs, SL-20 and SL-35 LAs as well as the new super MagCharger bulbs.

So far, it doesn't seem like a real barn burner. If anyone is interested, I can tell you how to do it, but this mod kit idea appears headed for the graveyard of medicore ideas.

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

wilkey, what type mag head?
i believe the cmag does (or did) ievolve removal of some material for the tigerlight la to seat properly. does this apply to a dcell mag also?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

UFO,
That's true, but with the adapter, you could also run any bipin bulb in your torch. For example, turn a 5D into a Mag(non)charger with the MC bipin bulb. Or take 5 PowerStream 1/2Ds and the bulb and turn your 3D into a Mag(non)charger.

htoR,
This will fit in either the C or D heads as far as I can tell. I tried this with the one LA I have and it works. In either case, you are likely to encounter some torch-specific touching up of either the LA or the head due to Mag head internal variations.

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

thanks ginny.
i did this with an old mag c head, which may be different then the newer ones. or the newer la's may have different dimensions. eitherway, if it works now...great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

Ginseng, woops, I missed that the $25 includes an LA. I read too fast I guess. Yes it's more attractive that way. Why do you need to use a D mag host, if you're using 123 cells? Can you make it fit in a 2C host like a Space Needle?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wilkey,

I have made this work in a klutzy kind of way. I have bent the TL LA pins to fit in the Mag pedestal. It's a little touchy, but I have made it work on one of the two LAS I have, although it doesn't work reliably on the other.

The LA fits in either the 2C or 2D. I currently have it in a 2D using two stacks of 3x123. That makes it a little brighter than the single stack and doubles the battery life. I had not thought of adding an AA. If that works, it'll be fantastically bright.

Paulr's comment about it not being rechargeable points out the value of rechargeable lights to frequent users. But I use the light infrequently enough that I prefer 123s to rechargeable. It's a 17 watt light that's always ready to go, no matter how long it's been unused. Great for the glove box.

So, I don't think your proposal is a mediocre idea. I would call it a niche item. It provides a quick and easy way to get this superbright light, without going through the risk of having it work poorly or not at all.

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paulr,
No prob. As PaulW writes below your post, it should be able to go in a C body as well. In that case, it would be a..."TigerNeedle?" Apologies to both MR Bulk and Tigerlight for that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW,
I feel the same way as you do about rechargeability. All my daily use lights run on nimhs. The flash and awe lights run on lithiums. I imagine that when the L5 comes out, I'll finally spring for a couple of Pila LiIon rechargeables.

Wilkey

larryk

Enlightened

I have an old Mag 2 D and modified it to use an extra TL LA I had. I used 2 3 to D holders with nimh batteries that gave me the same 7.2 voltage as the TL. It was very dim compared to the TL. I even tried 6 Duracell's to give me 9 volts and it was still much dimmer than the TL. Am I loosing current with the stock Mag switch ?
Larry.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened

Yeah I can imagine what it would be like to get in small/low cost parts business. I'm just lazy and wanted the adapter.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elnath,

I have PR base adapters. $5 shipped, 2 for $9. Interested?

Wilkey

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Elnath,

I have PR base adapters. $5 shipped, 2 for $9. Interested?

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the same thing as a "Carley 912 PR Base Socket"?