TK45 first light

earthlight

Newly Enlightened
So me and my pal both got the TK45. Armed with those and some smaller lights we went walking last night. It was raining lightly and pitch black of course.

Having both TK45's on turbo is like bringing an artificial dawn to the forest! :huh: These lights really make night walking a fun thing! The spill is more than enough for walking without having to point the light to the ground at any time. You get this wall of light that really brings out the landscape.

We also went to lakeshore and saw a fish in the water, maybe half a meter deep. In a different place it'll be easy to spot scores of fish.

I can only think that once we get our HP20 headlamps we'll be set for great night time walks!

Earthlight

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you already have a light that can reach a good distance, I suggest you get a total flood headlight instead of the HP20. The HP20 is a great headlamp but has a strong hotspot. A little zebralight will give you a different kind of beam which is quite useful for walking the woods at night.

Personal opinion: a zebralight and a TK45 would almost be the ultimate trekking setup.

earthlight

Newly Enlightened
Since you already have a light that can reach a good distance, I suggest you get a total flood headlight instead of the HP20. The HP20 is a great headlamp but has a strong hotspot. A little zebralight will give you a different kind of beam which is quite useful for walking the woods at night.

Personal opinion: a zebralight and a TK45 would almost be the ultimate trekking setup.

Very interesting! Which zebralight would you recommend? Something like this?

http://www.zebralight.com/H50-Q5-Headlamp-AA-Flood_p_8.html

Earthlight

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent choice since you are already carrying AA's for your TK45. I would however suggest you go in a warm tint model. It's easier on the eyes and will give you a more accurate color rendition, although not perfect as an incan. Your TK45 is a cool tint light, it's great to have another perception of the surroundings.

Also, keep in mind that a full flood light is for close illumination, a couple of meter in front of you only. That's why it's the ideal lamp to light your way and the rest of the job is done by your TK45.

After buying a Zebra, you'll find hundreds of other use to it, not only to walk outside. Very useful to read in bed, navigate in the house when everybody sleeps or any other close range jobs.

Last edited:

earthlight

Newly Enlightened
Excellent choice since you are already carrying AA's for your TK45. I would however suggest you go in a warm tint model. It's easier on the eyes and will give you a more accurate color rendition, although not perfect as an incan. Your TK45 is a cool tint light, it's great to have another perception of the surroundings.

Also, keep in mind that a full flood light is for close illumination, a couple of meter in front of you only. That's why it's the ideal lamp to light your way and the rest of the job is done by your TK45.

After buying a Zebra, you'll find hundreds of other use to it, not only to walk outside. Very useful to read in bed, navigate in the house when everybody sleeps or any other close range jobs.

Order placed for the H501w Neutral White w/ new UI... Someone smack me out of this buying spree, quick! :twak: :D

Well, this zebralight has been in my mind for a while... so many glowing reviews. I think I'll have many many many uses for it.

But I'll be done getting new lights for a while. :broke: :D

Earthlight

DVN

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me that with a zebralight, which is mostly flood, you won't even be able to notice that it's on if you have a tk45 going full blast at the same time.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D Great move !

You'll like it, I'm sure.

Give us your impresions when you'll have it!

:wave:

earthlight

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me that with a zebralight, which is mostly flood, you won't even be able to notice that it's on if you have a tk45 going full blast at the same time.

Yes, that's very possible :D

I envision using the zebralight as an "always on" lamp that I'll clip to my shirt pocket or my coat and let it shine that wide beam so that I can just put away any other lamp and carry on doing things at close range.

Plus reading my Kindle in bed with it. :)

Earthlight

earthlight

Newly Enlightened
We did another night walk in the woods with our TK45's last night.

This time I used an old Nite Ize headband (originally sold to be used with a miniMag) to make my LD15 a headlamp. I had it on full blast all the time (107 lumens) and when the TK45's were on turbo it was difficult to notice even this headlamp at all. :huh:

However, such a nice little headlamp that weighs next to nothing was actually quite enjoyable to use. In thick woods it helped to see any little twig that might have scraped my eye when I was holding the TK45 the other way.

We walked by a little forest lake and had a disposable little BBQ with us (those tinfoil thingies with coal inside). We placed the TK45's on low each side at an angle and so had a convenient ligthting to do the BBQ. It just happened that I forgot the sausages in the fridge so no BBQ for us by the lake. :duh2: :D

Anyway, TK45's make these sort of outings so enjoyable. In that sense it's a revolutionary product. The gentle wall of light is just SO usable and nice that it's ways beyond any flashlight I've used to date.

Earthlight