Nitecore EX11

eman29

Newly Enlightened
I can't find any information about this light. Its 200 lumen spec looks impressive if it is accurate, but if it has the same clunky UI as the
D11 i'll pass. looks like LJ is the only place that has them in stock.

http://www.lightjunction.com/NiteCore-EX11-R5-flashlight.html

** Moderated - Hotlinked image removed - Kestrel **

I wonder why the d11 never got a pocket clip?

anyways when can we expect a review from someone? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt7337

Enlightened
What was clunky about the D10's UI? I don't agree with that at all. Like you though, I also wondered why the D11 never got a clip. It seems very strange that they would a) not include it on the D11 and b) have it as an optional accessory on the EX11. :confused:

Anyway, now my next flashlight purchase decision just got a little harder. Most of the options are Nitecores though :D

eman29

Newly Enlightened
Woops i meant the D11 with the strobe/sos in place of min/max.
but looking into it it seems this light isnt any different either

Matt7337

Enlightened
Ah I see, well that I do agree with. Not a game changer, but I certainly prefer the Max/Min on the D10 and D20 rather than Strobe/SOS. I suppose the D11 and EX11 are aimed more at emergency services/survival use than as general purpose/EDC lights then.

goldenlight

Enlightened
EX11 is for pre-order with a ETA of 10/22/2010. You can place your order now, we will ship when it is received from the manufacturer.

The EX11 clip is an optional accessory (does not come with the light), AND WILL BE AVAILABLE LATER.

=========

I'm sure that 'promise' is based on NiteCore's half arsed comment that they are 'working on a clip' for the D11.

I believe the NiteCore totally dropped the ball on a clip, and are now SCRAMBLING to get one to the market.

Fortunately for the Idjits who FORGOT the D11 (and EX11) clip, the D10 clip can be pretty easily modified, in the same basic design as the D10 clip, to work on the D11.

They just need to move the holes closer together to fit the ridiculous change they made in the tail.

I fail to understand WHY they didn't just put the new emitter in the D10, add the little ;flats' to the body, and CALL it the D11.

They would have saved money on the design and engineering costs...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look forward to seeing the review. I think I'm going to see what's left in the piggy bank. ;) I want one

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
EX11 is for pre-order with a ETA of 10/22/2010. You can place your order now, we will ship when it is received from the manufacturer.

The EX11 clip is an optional accessory (does not come with the light), AND WILL BE AVAILABLE LATER.

=========

I'm sure that 'promise' is based on NiteCore's half arsed comment that they are 'working on a clip' for the D11.

I believe the NiteCore totally dropped the ball on a clip, and are now SCRAMBLING to get one to the market.

Fortunately for the Idjits who FORGOT the D11 (and EX11) clip, the D10 clip can be pretty easily modified, in the same basic design as the D10 clip, to work on the D11.

They just need to move the holes closer together to fit the ridiculous change they made in the tail.

I fail to understand WHY they didn't just put the new emitter in the D10, add the little ;flats' to the body, and CALL it the D11.

They would have saved money on the design and engineering costs...

They'll find there legs soon enough, nitecore is still a rookie in the flashlight buiseness. I
Ordered my first one Monday, a d10.

Matt7337

Enlightened
They'll find there legs soon enough, nitecore is still a rookie in the flashlight buiseness. I
Ordered my first one Monday, a d10.

It's their. And they are not rookies... they have been producing flashlights for years now and have one of the best reputations in the business for exceptional quality and innovative design. All their "at-market" models before the release of the SR3 were exceptional, with many members here owning I would say easily in the hundreds of examples of lights from the D10 to the Extreme Infinity and everything in between. The SR3 was the first sign that Nitecore were letting things slip. The ramping circuitry and mechanism is not perfect, and has issues with mode selection. The Infilux IFE1 also has issues of a different nature, which have been discussed at great length in the IFE1 thread here on CPF. Now I find that the EX11 and D11 have come out without pocket clips and with the min/max selection modes being replaced (disregard the chronological order of these issues, I am stating them as I have become aware of them). The latter of the issues with the D11 and EX11 can be excused, as I have said before they are obviously models aimed at a different market... but the exclusion of a pocket clip seems like a complete shot in the foot to me. Who wants a small, compact EDC light with no clip? It just seems absurd that they would put these on the market like this.

eman29

Newly Enlightened
jetbeam did the same thing with the bk135a. Its small and portable, even has threaded holes. I emailed JB and they replied "We're considering a pocket clip at this time" Do not know why manufacturers do that.

T45

Enlightened
I am saving to buy a D10 and perhaps an EX10. I find that machined flat on the D11/EX11 just ruins the form factor aesthetics for me. Form factor is a definite definite reason for buy or not to buy. Is this form an attempt to "follow" Fenix? Does Nitecore think that flat will be a popular feature? Nitecore was selling a very popular EDC flashlight with the D10/EX10 series, so why change the styling or User Interface? I think that what is happening with Nitecore, this lack of an included clip for one example, is the result of a company that no longer has an understanding of what its money spending customers want or need.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Clip!.....Looks just like the one used by McGizmo! :thumbsdow Unless that is the same clip and can be used with this light? If that's the case....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Matt7337

Enlightened
I am saving to buy a D10 and perhaps an EX10. I find that machined flat on the D11/EX11 just ruins the form factor aesthetics for me. Form factor is a definite definite reason for buy or not to buy. Is this form an attempt to "follow" Fenix? Does Nitecore think that flat will be a popular feature? Nitecore was selling a very popular EDC flashlight with the D10/EX10 series, so why change the styling or User Interface? I think that what is happening with Nitecore, this lack of an included clip for one example, is the result of a company that no longer has an understanding of what its money spending customers want or need.

Just so you know, the Nitecore Extreme - one of their most popular flashlights - has the same type of flat surfaces on the body.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of these in hand currently for a pending review and I have to say, I still like it quite a bit. I'd prefer the shortcuts to Min/Max, but it's really not a game changer to me.

As far as a clip goes, I suspect there will be one since the tail has threaded holes already. I don't have one, but it won't surprise me when they show up.

purelite

Enlightened
It is a bit amazing that they did the same thing again. When the Ex10 and D10 first came out there was no clip. Everyone clamored so much that they finally "put one in the works" but it seemed to take them forever to get it out there. and being a retro fit they were anything but ideal though they did work.Then they come out with these updated lights and no clip AGAIN!!!!!:shakehead

Nitecore get your S#$@ together!!

Matt7337

Enlightened
It is a bit amazing that they did the same thing again. When the Ex10 and D10 first came out there was no clip. Everyone clamored so much that they finally "put one in the works" but it seemed to take them forever to get it out there. and being a retro fit they were anything but ideal though they did work.Then they come out with these updated lights and no clip AGAIN!!!!!:shakehead

Nitecore get your S#$@ together!!

+1

Doesn't anyone from Nitecore visit CPF and read these comments on their products? I know the opinions of CPF members can't be taken as the be all and end all of their new flashlight designs (actually it could but I'm saying we can't expect them to do that) but let's face it, plenty of other manufacturers take the advice of this community on board when designing new flashlights, and Nitecore know that CPF exists because it's mentioned on their website, on their flashlight timeline. They seem to be taking one step forward and two back lately.

qguy

Newly Enlightened
Would be great if you could post a beam shot comparison with the older ex10

Thanks !!!

I've got one of these in hand currently for a pending review and I have to say, I still like it quite a bit. I'd prefer the shortcuts to Min/Max, but it's really not a game changer to me.

As far as a clip goes, I suspect there will be one since the tail has threaded holes already. I don't have one, but it won't surprise me when they show up.