Need suggestions for a 1xCR123 weapon mounted light

gundam83

Newly Enlightened
I am putting together a lightweight AR15 build, and I need a small weaponlight. My requirements are 1x CR123, lightweight, somewhat rugged, has to fit in light mounts designed for either the 6p, G2, or E series, and won't break the bank. Most importantly activation has to be done via momentary switch. It will most likely be mounted offset and activated with my thumb or finger.

I have a Nitecore EX10 and I love everything about it except for one thing: the tailcap switch to activate it. The flat metal button just doesn't work very well for my application. There wouldn't happen to be any aftermarket tail caps for the EX10 would there? :p

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Check out the HDS Clicky. It is virtually indestructible. HDS have supplied it to the military. It is designed to handle the recoil, has programmable momentary-on, uses 1 x CR123 primary or equivalent rechargeables, made in US, and it will fit 1 inch mounts.

gundam83

Newly Enlightened
Check out the HDS Clicky. It is virtually indestructible. HDS have supplied it to the military. It is designed to handle the recoil, has programmable momentary-on, uses 1 x CR123 primary or equivalent rechargeables, made in US, and it will fit 1 inch mounts.
I've looked at that too and although it would be the ideal choice, the price is a little hard to swallow. :(

Looking to spend around $40-80 if possible.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I've looked at that too and although it would be the ideal choice, the price is a little hard to swallow. :(

Fair enough. I don't really have any suggestion for that price range but I'm sure others with more experience will be able to offer more suitable opinions. Good luck.

HaroldB

Newly Enlightened
If you already have a good tactical light, for $25 - 30 you can find a rail-mount that holds the average diameter light.

One is made by Viking Tactics.

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
How about an Inforce 6v? Takes 2 CR123's but are fairly lightweight. Under $80 (on ebay), 3.3 oz w/batteries, 135 lumens (6vx is more lumens but cost more), 1" body, carbon fiber, and has some accessories for down the road if you want (tape switch).

http://www.inforce-mil.com/products_6v9v.html

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Surefire E1B? You can get a new one for $111 or find it cheaper over at the Marketplace.

Question though, why 1xcr123 when you would have so many other choices with 2xcr123.

gundam83

Newly Enlightened
How about the Surefire E1B? You can get a new one for $111 or find it cheaper over at the Marketplace.

Question though, why 1xcr123 when you would have so many other choices with 2xcr123.
Because that sort of defeats the purpose of building a lightweight AR15 in the first place. 2-4 ounces may not sound like much, but on the barrel end of a gun, it makes a HUGE difference. Going 2 cell over 1 significantly alters the balance of the gun. I've gone from a regular profile barrel to a lightweight one, and the difference is only 4 ounces. But the change is absolutely dramatic. It doesn't feel a quarter of a pound light, it feels a full pound lighter. The gun is now more balanced towards the center as opposed to the muzzle, which greatly improves the handling of the weapon.

Last edited:

gundam83

Newly Enlightened
How about an Inforce 6v? Takes 2 CR123's but are fairly lightweight. Under $80 (on ebay), 3.3 oz w/batteries, 135 lumens (6vx is more lumens but cost more), 1" body, carbon fiber, and has some accessories for down the road if you want (tape switch).

http://www.inforce-mil.com/products_6v9v.html
3.3oz not bad. I will take a look at those. I'm trying to keep it around 4-4.5oz with a mount (roughly the weight a streamlight TLR-1 which is the most I'll go)

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

Since your price is firm, I recommend that you check out the Novatac range of lights. They're like the cheaper cousin (twice removed) of the HDS Clicky. And you can get a remote switch if you require. Keep in mind that the cheaper models are not HA III, but you can use the easter egg to make them programmable.

Battery station have the Storm on sale for $69. Click here. I've also seen them on fleabay for around $60. But.........I still think you should save up for the HDS Clicky. The 120lumen model is only $99 and it's better value than the Novatac IMHO. You may find it cheaper at the Marketplace.

Last edited:

ARA

Enlightened
+1 for the Novatac. You can get them cheap on fleabay, and they offer great value for money. Made in USA and also being used by US forces in Afghanistan.

The SPL-120 AWLK comes complete with a mount and tapeswitch.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
+1 for the Novatac. You can get them cheap on fleabay, and they offer great value for money. Made in USA and also being used by US forces in Afghanistan.

The SPL-120 AWLK comes complete with a mount and tapeswitch.

Only the expensive models are made in USA and are hard anodized. The cheaper models (Storm, Wichita,etc) are made in China (?) and only have type 2 anodizing. But all models can be programmed by using the Easter egg. The US made models are well over the OP's budget, and if he was to stretch his budget for the US made NT models, he may as well just buy the HDS lights which are superior in every respect except for size. The NT's are a tad shorter. The only other logical reason why someone would opt for the US made NT models is if they needed to use a remote switch. I don't think a remote switch is available for the HDS Clicky.

Last edited:

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
I dont have the links but I think it was Glock24 who posted up two really good threads about low cost 1-cr123 lights..

Tack Driver

Newly Enlightened
I've got a similar build going, and a thread here.......

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/298222

Maybe you could use some of that info.

My SHTF AR is a lightweight profile 14.5" fixed flash hider barreled midlength. I counted ounces the whole way, but wanted a fully dressed AR. I sports a Surefire/VTAC L4 (200 lumens with a tight TIR optic beam), in a VTAC mount. THE best serious weaponlight bang for the buck, and one of the best beams you could ask for on a carbine. The reason I think that is relevant is that it came it at almost the exact same weight as the TLR-1 that was originally the plan for the build, and is a MUCH better carbine light.

If you check out the link above, you will see I am settling around a lego'd setup of a Z68 tailcap/singe 123 e-series body/VME head/ M31 setup on my fiance's "pink" AR, which is and was planned as the lightest AR possible. I would like a tighter beam, but 230 lumens from a single cell in that small a package is hard to resist.

Tack Driver

Newly Enlightened
I dont have the links but I think it was Glock24 who posted up two really good threads about low cost 1-cr123 lights..

See the link in my post. His setup, along with his write up on M4carbine is in there, and it is inspiring.

I've got a similar build going, and a thread here.......

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/298222

Maybe you could use some of that info.

My SHTF AR is a lightweight profile 14.5" fixed flash hider barreled midlength. I counted ounces the whole way, but wanted a fully dressed AR. I sports a Surefire/VTAC L4 (200 lumens with a tight TIR optic beam), in a VTAC mount. THE best serious weaponlight bang for the buck, and one of the best beams you could ask for on a carbine. The reason I think that is relevant is that it came it at almost the exact same weight as the TLR-1 that was originally the plan for the build, and is a MUCH better carbine light.

If you check out the link above, you will see I am settling around a lego'd setup of a Z68 tailcap/singe 123 e-series body/VME head/ M31 setup on my fiance's "pink" AR, which is and was planned as the lightest AR possible. I would like a tighter beam, but 230 lumens from a single cell in that small a package is hard to resist.

ARA

Enlightened
Only the expensive models are made in USA and are hard anodized. The cheaper models (Storm, Wichita,etc) are made in China (?) and only have type 2 anodizing. But all models can be programmed by using the Easter egg. The US made models are well over the OP's budget, and if he was to stretch his budget for the US made NT models, he may as well just buy the HDS lights which are superior in every respect except for size. The NT's are a tad shorter. The only other logical reason why someone would opt for the US made NT models is if they needed to use a remote switch. I don't think a remote switch is available for the HDS Clicky.

You are correct vis-a-vis the cheaper models. To be honest i actually got a great deal for NIB Novatac SPL-120 AWLK for $75, hence i got three of them lovecpf

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of these will fit 1" mounts made for SF C/P/Z-series, but if you have a mount that fits the E-series, these will fit (or use an adapter for the 1" mounts).

Dereelight C2H (momentary works if you keep it on for more than 2-3 seconds...a quick flash to ID target only will switch modesw)
$58

Sunwayman M10R (I believe can be flashed as the modes are changed via the magnetic ring. Leave the ring on high and use the tailswitch for momentary)
$70

47s Quark 123T - $60

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
You are correct vis-a-vis the cheaper models. To be honest i actually got a great deal for NIB Novatac SPL-120 AWLK for $75, hence i got three of them lovecpf

Congrats on the great deal !!!

You may want to PM the OP the link or the eBay seller's ID. Sounds like it would be a perfect solution for his lighting needs.

Or sell him one of yours :poke:

Last edited:

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
How about a Solarforce L2M host and an XPG R5 drop-in? $31 plus shipping. I have this light and really like it. It also comes with an extender so you can run 2x16340 or 1x18650 if you want. I have NOT used this as a weapon light, so I don't know about it's durability in that case.

You can even add a tape switch tailcap for another $9.

My L2M with a 16340 weighs 4.1oz.

baker