Considering the new Surefire G2X for my Ar-15. Any other suggestions?

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a lightweight/BRIGHT light for my AR-15. It will have a use of home defense first, but I'd also like to use it for varmint hunting within 30-40 yards at night (from a buggy or truck).

The new Surefire G2X Tactical with its poly material and 200+ lumen LED for $55.00 seems like a great choice. Before I pull the trigger, do you guys have any other suggestions? I was considering the Fenix TK11/TK12 as well, but the Surefire is actually cheaper and well, Surefire. I've read that the 200 lumen surefire's actually put out closer to 240 lumens or so. Is the Fenix that much brighter? Any comments on the difference of throw and spill?

It will be going on the 2nd AR:

ARsBWsm.jpg

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone/everyone, please feel free to jump in and correct/excorciate me if I have this wrong (I love my SFs):

BailyMoto,
There was a recent thread here(?) mentioning that while the new G2x/6Px models were tough, they were not AS 'bombproof' as the regular G2/6P models, and that someone at SureFire told a CPF member that they were not recommended for use as weapon-lights, because of their different design and construction.

Can anyone find the thread, and post#?
[Edit] Just found a relevant post...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/289458&page=12 See post#341, #353-355, & #358

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
The G2X, unlike the rest of Surefire's lineup, does not have two battery springs, which means it is likely to respond badly to recoil. The springs cushion the battery in their other models whereas in these it will act as a hammer on the electronics in the head - not a good thing.

There are other differences as well - there's a reason the new 'X' lineup costs much less than the other lights in Surefire's lineup - but this is the most visible one without cracking them open and comparing the technical design.

My suggestion to you, for a cheap, lightweight, durable weaponlight would be the regular Surefire G2. This light is in service as a weaponlight all over the place. Subject matter experts will suggest this light, Pat Rogers of EAG Tactical comes first to mind. The light is good enough in itself but can also be upgraded with LED modules as long as they don't need the heat dissipation of an aluminium head or body. The Malkoff M61L and M60L units, for instance, are rated for plastic bodies while still putting out over 100 lumens and in the case of the M61L almost 200 lumens - runtime is phenonemal thanks to the slightly lower output.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
New G2X and 6PX are designed to be hand-held only.

If you want to mount a G2 on your weapon, the newer G2L is a better choice. Comes with the new KX4 bezel in place. 120 lumens, but still excellent.

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
As an alternative for a weapon mount light, considering the G2X isnt exactly weapon mount material, try the Streamlight PolyTac LED or Scorpion LED. They cost less and are built to incredibly quality standards, i believe there are weapon mounts available.
I dont know how weapon mounts work exactly. I do know the Scorpion LED/PolyTac LED are very similar in size and build to the G2 and 6P. They also have the same lumens, are assembled in USA, and cost considerably less. I would expect incredible durability, good light output, but they're not really modular like the standard Surefires (although the G2/6PX series are NOT modular either).

Last edited:

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
streamlight supertac

get the rail mount and the pressure switch

Old18c

Newly Enlightened
streamlight supertac

get the rail mount and the pressure switch

I agree on the Supertac but with out the pressure switch get used to hitting the click switch with your finger. Every remote pressure switch I have mounted on my weapons has failed (probably from abuse). I have replaced the pressure switch with a regular click switch and never had problems after that with the same light.