Crelant 7G1 ...first impressions ...updated / first pictures

ichoderso

Enlightened
Hi, got my Crelant for around one hour, 11.00 pm here in Germany, so DHL was very fast:)
For the first, some pictures, please forgive me the bad quality, but I have only a cheap camera here and would make the fotos asap....If I have the time, I will make better pictures and beamshots

For more informations pleas read the manufacturers thread:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=238904

Now the pictures:

packaging
P9210002.jpg

P9210003.jpg

P9210006.jpg

P9210007.jpg

P9210008.jpg

P9210009.jpg

P9210010.jpg

well centred LED (XP-G R5)
P9210015.jpg

P9210013.jpg

P9210017.jpg

P9210018.jpg

threads lubed and good quality
P9210019.jpg

P9210020.jpg

P9210021.jpg

P9210022.jpg

P9210025.jpg

unfortunately the switch is standing slightly over the body, so it can tailstand not perfect

P9210024.jpg

Crelant beside other AA powered flashlights
P9210027.jpg

and with other AAA and CR123 flashlights
P9210028.jpg

Last edited:

ichoderso

Enlightened
Re: Crelant 7G1 ...first impressions

some informations and first impressions
and Sorry, some measurements made only fast , so no guaranty for perfection....

the 7G1 is well made and good housing/body and good anodyzing in gray color (like jetbeam) it's a nice color for me. machining is nearly perfect, knurling has good grip, and overall design is egonomic, had a antiroll design.
Bezelring is stainless steel.
Lens is coated.
Reflector is op.
LED is XP-G R5 and well centred. the tint is cool white but a nice white, without greenish or bluish tint.
Beam is nice for EDC, no rings, nice and big spot and usefull sidespill.
mid and low is PWM regulated, but high frequency and not visible

luxreadings (1meter): (only on High for this moment)

NiMh (Eneloop): around 1800 lux around 1,2A at the tailcap
LiIon 3800 lux current is from 0,6-0,85A.

0,6A from a fresh load cell (over 4,0V) and 0,85A with a half discharged cell with around 3,7Volt so it seems, the driver is good regulated (and not only direct drive like some other AA and AAA flashlights!!)

UI:
The clickie is a reverse clickie
if the head and the batterytube is twist thight, you can swith the light on on high, There is no other possibility in this mode....ever high "I will titel it mode 1) .
if you loosen the head (if the light is on) a bit (not much, a 1/4 turn is enough) you get strobe, now if you make a half click (or a compleate click within around one second) you get low, then med and high etc...(will titel it mode 2) in this mode, the driver has memory, if you switch out the light in low, you get also low, if you switch on the light. But if you change the light from mode1 (high) to mode 2 you get always srobe for the first, but memory is active, so if you turn of the light and on back, so you get your last mode. understand?? sorry, my english is not so good:-(

Batteries:
all my Nimh and alkaline batteries are fit in this flashlight.
My LiIon (14500) don't fit. I own some blue and silver Ultrafire/Trustfire and all protected and 1-2mm to long. One of this, the protection was fail and I removed this protection chip, and this one is fit for the batterietube.
But there is a possibility to use the protected 14500 cells:
loosen the head one or two turns, so the space for the battery is longer and the cells will be fit. But now you can only use mode 2...maybe this is a compromise ...

The "tailstand problem"
If you can see at my fotos, the light can't tailstand correct.
But I noticed, if the tail is loosen enough, the light can tailstand perfect!!
The reason is: not the switch is to big/long, it's the rubber cap! the flashlight is not only water resistant but also "air tight" so if you turn the tailcap tight, the air pressure presses against the rubber cap and this come a bit out.
You can remove one o-ring and the light can tailstand now, but is not waterproof

overall I'm happy with this flashlight. Thank you Crelant, good job!!

my wishes for the second run:
batterietube (middle part) 2mm longer, so fit for more protected 14500 LiIons
maybe you can find a solution for the "tailstand problem"
and last and only my opinion: the stainless steel bezel ring is only a ring inside the tube (to hold the glas lens). I like more the style of the SS ring at nitecore EX10 (or novatac) . It looks nice and get more protection for the head....what do you think??

best Regards from Germany, Jens

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's a pretty solid review and I really like the photos.
Thanks, I've been curious about the Crelant.

Crelant

Newly Enlightened

my wishes for the second run:
batterietube (middle part) 2mm longer, so fit for more protected 14500 LiIons
maybe you can find a solution for the "tailstand problem"
and last and only my opinion: the stainless steel bezel ring is only a ring inside the tube (to hold the glas lens). I like more the style of the SS ring at nitecore EX10 (or novatac) . It looks nice and get more protection for the head....what do you think??

best Regards from Germany, Jens

Dear Jens, thanks for your great effort :twothumbs
About the tailstand problem, we did not find this problem yet,
we test all the function we posted on thread, they do work.
But thank you for point it out, we have check from the delivery office, because of the limited time before delivery that day,
our delivery office did not find this problem, and very unlucky the very few "tailstand problem light" was sent out, :eek:
but later we will post some pictures of tailstand function. Hope you all can understand

Thanks for all your effort. :twothumbs

Kestrel

Flashaholic
ichoderso, I've reformatted your post #1 so that the pics don't make the window extend extremely far to the right. Next time, please enter the pics with a <return> between each them to break them up. Thanks,

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
Ichoderso, do you think that a small bit of the spring could be cut to allow protected 14500's to fit? Kind of like you hear people doing to the nitecore d10's? It should be even easier than a d10 due to the 3 piece body.
I am hoping to run this light on protected 14500 cells.

ichoderso

Enlightened
Ichoderso, do you think that a small bit of the spring could be cut to allow protected 14500's to fit? Kind of like you hear people doing to the nitecore d10's? It should be even easier than a d10 due to the 3 piece body.
I am hoping to run this light on protected 14500 cells.

No, unfortunately you can't get mor space if you cut the spring.
The only way to use 14500 protect cells is if you use only mode 2 (or mode b)
loosen the middle part from the head, insert batterie, tighten the tailcap and then tighten the head carful. So you can use all modes, strobe, low, med and high, but you can't switch betwen mode 1 and mode 2....I think, that is a good compromise....and maybe there are protected 14500 cells they are shorter than mine and fit for this flashlight.

Jens

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are they sold and where are they made? Also did I read it right when you loosen the head it goes into strobe?

Great review thanks.

ichoderso

Enlightened
Where are they sold and where are they made? Also did I read it right when you loosen the head it goes into strobe?

Great review thanks.

Yes, loosen the head and the light go to mode 2 this beginns with strobe, half click on the tailswitch for low-med-high....

manufacturer is Crelant, can buy it from Kittronics....for mor information read in this thread:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=238904

gunga

Flashaholic
I need to get my info out too. Here is my take.

- I can use AW protected 14500s, I'm using it right now.
- When you turn the light off and loosen the bezel, you get into your last memorized mode.
- If you loosen the bezel when the light is ON, it will go automaticaly into strobe. If you want to avoid strobe, turn the light off first.
- When in bezel loosened mode, you always have to go through strobe if you want to cycle back to low from any other mode.
- The high mode in bezel loosened is the same as high mode when the bezel is tightened. Bezel tightened just gives you max/high only.

ichoderso

Enlightened

I need to get my info out too. Here is my take.

- I can use AW protected 14500s, I'm using it right now.
- When you turn the light off and loosen the bezel, you get into your last memorized mode.
- If you loosen the bezel when the light is ON, it will go automaticaly into strobe. If you want to avoid strobe, turn the light off first.
- When in bezel loosened mode, you always have to go through strobe if you want to cycle back to low from any other mode.
- The high mode in bezel loosened is the same as high mode when the bezel is tightened. Bezel tightened just gives you max/high only.

thank you, that's what I would say, but you can explain it better:)

UI:
The clickie is a reverse clickie
if the head and the batterytube is twist thight, you can swith the light on on high, There is no other possibility in this mode....ever high "I will titel it mode 1) .
if you loosen the head (if the light is on) a bit (not much, a 1/4 turn is enough) you get strobe, now if you make a half click (or a compleate click within around one second) you get low, then med and high etc...(will titel it mode 2) in this mode, the driver has memory, if you switch out the light in low, you get also low, if you switch on the light. But if you change the light from mode1 (high) to mode 2 you get always srobe for the first, but memory is active, so if you turn of the light and on back, so you get your last mode. understand?? sorry, my english is not so good:-(

ichoderso

Enlightened
and gunga, nice to hear, that the AW's protected are fit!

Can your 7G1 tailstand without problems??

Jens

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey Jens, mine does tailstand, but it is wobbly.

There is a work around (add an o-ring before installing the siwtch boot) but I have not done so yet.

Keep in mind the retaining ring for the switch is reverse threaded (ie clockwise to loosen). I was wondering why mine was not loosening...

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
So gunga, are you saying that the aw 14500's fit like they are supposed to, and the light operates the same as on alkaline? If so I may need to order a couple.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes, that is what I am saying. It also helps boost the high level a lot, so definitely optimized for 14500.

I will also mention that it uses high frequency PWM. I'd say perhspa 3 KHz or more, so very high frequency.