2010 - Annual EDC light purchase suggestions

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Edit: List updated

Hey guys, another year passed. I'm back again asking for opinions on the latest EDC light.

I've been doing this for 4 years now, primarily because I have too much stuff going on to be able to visit regularly. :sigh: Anyways...

My current lineup:

- Surefire 6PN (had this one for 8 years now)
- Fenix P2D (2007)
- EagleTac P10C2 (2008)
- Maratac AAA and AA (2009)

Here is the list of lights I've been looking at, but I'd also love some suggestions. I'd prefer to stay with single AA.

- Fenix LD15
- Nitecore D11
- Nitecore EZ AA
- Quark Mini AA (regular or Ti)

As you can tell, I'm trying to stay as compact and pocketable as possible. Single cell AA. Nice, bright output, with decent interface. Let me know your thoughts, gents. You haven't steered me wrong before.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
What about getting a Lumapower Incendio V3+ (CR123) with little new improvements?
Or the Preon Revo (AAA)?

krevo

Newly Enlightened
What about getting a Lumapower Incendio V3+ (CR123) with little new improvements?
Or the Preon Revo (AAA)?

I had the incendio on my list, but I wouldn't consider it a pocket carry light, and the CR123A thing kinda takes it off my list. I don't carry spare cells with me, and I need something I could swing into a gas station and buy. Just a more well rounded EDC for the guy who packs light.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my LD15. I EDC it every day for work. Some people don't like the fact that it starts on high, but you won't use low when there are lights around.

Why AA only and not lithiums? more compact and slightly more runtime/brightness. This would add the Fenix PD20 and Quark 123 to you list and these are very pocketable and very nice lights, plus with the Quark 123, you get more modes. If not, the Quark AA is also a very nice light to pocket.

Worldfusion

Newly Enlightened
How about either of the new Niteshot models? EA2 & BA500 www.niteshot.org. From what I can see, specs are the same but shell is slightly different. Both running CREE XP-E Q5 with a claimed output of 250 lumens and multi function including strobe. :thumbsup:

HIDblue

Enlightened
  • JetBeam E3S
  • JetBeam BK135A
Both take one AA; the BK135A is slimmer than the E3S; the E3S is brighter on a regular AA than the BK135A; and the fit and finish on both are really nice.

I have them both in my daily pocket EDC rotation. I like the UI on the BK135A better than the E3S, but that's personal preference.

You may also want to check out the Lumapower Trust Model 1.

HIDblue

Enlightened
  • JetBeam E3S
  • JetBeam BK135A
Both take one AA; the BK135A is slimmer than the E3S; the E3S is brighter on a regular AA than the BK135A; and the fit and finish on both are really nice.

I have them both in my daily pocket EDC rotation. I like the UI on the BK135A better than the E3S, but that's personal preference.

You may also want to check out the Lumapower Trust Model 1.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
this year.. i would suggest zebralight too.

h501 (for floody task light) or h51 (for throw)

or zebralight sc50/sc51 if you want an "more normal looking flashlight".

preon1 or 2 is also option. aaa or 2aaa penlight (preon revo is 1aaa light that is more aimed for keychain carry, the "normal" preons have pocket clip)

and i always try to suggest people to buy neutral or warm tint if its available.. in my eyes/mind they offer slightly better color rendition.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
another suggestion the Zebralights. SC51 or H51
great interface, soft-press for low, fast press for high, double click for medium. and 200 lumens for an eneloop! with a flawless beam.

Last edited:

krevo

Newly Enlightened
I can't really find much about the Nitecore D11. It looks pretty nice as well. I may have the bite the bullet and just buy 3-4 new lights for this year. So many I'm droolin over. lol

yowzer

Enlightened
+1 for a Zebralight SC50 (Or wait a bit for a SC51) and Jetbeam BK135A. The Jetbeam has a bit of an advantage in pocket carry because its switch is less likely to accidently turn on (ZLs often need to have the tailcap locked out to avoid this unless your pockets are very baggy).