Surefire 6P LED variations?

CAMVDCS

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm a newbie so forgive me if this has been discussed. I have this addition to knives & flashlights. I've been thinking about finally getting a Surefire even though I hate buying those special lithium batteries. I'm looking at the model 6P LED but in my research I find that there are some being offered that is rated 80 lumens and others 120 lumens. I go to the Surefire website and they list the 6P as having 120 lumens. Are the 80 lumens model and older model? :thinking:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends. Originally the 6PL came with a P60L. a surefire made dropin that replaces the incandescent P60 lamp. The P60L puts out 80 lumens vs the 60 lumens from the P60 incan bulb.

Now they have the KX4 head which has a newer led built in. Those put out 120 lumens.

Actually you might want to look into the new surefire 6PX or G2X. they put out 200 lumens. if you splurge the extra $10. you can get the dual stage versions.

Lithium CR123 batteries are not that bad. SF sells them for about $1.75 or you can get US made ones online for $1.25 each.

You might want to look into Rechargeable CR123 batteries. most LEDs can handle two RCR123.

CAMVDCS

Newly Enlightened
Solscud007, thanks for your input. I saw a 6P LED at Fry's today and the package says that it has max 80 lumens. I saw a picture of the 6PX and it looks like it would be comfortable to handle. It also has a max 200 lumens and I kind of like the 2 modes. My only complaint is that it has only a 2 hour runtime at max. It has a 45 hour runtime at 15 lumens. I don't know how bright 15 lumens is but I guess I'll have to find out. If 15 lumens is as bright as a normal flashlight maybe I go with the 6PX. If not, I'll go with the 6P. Thanks.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
My honest opinion: pick up either an old 6PL (without the new KX4 head) or better yet: buy an original 6P. I'm fairly new to the Surefire addiction myself, having bought my first one only a few months ago. I picked up a 6P original and I couldn't be happier with it. It offers exactly as much customization as you feel comfortable doing. You can switch the incan to an LED and call it a day, or you can literally change every single part of it. It's a great feeling having this one dependable flashlight that I can constantly modify and experiment with.

A good start might be buying the 6P host and then purchasing a drop-in to replace the incandescent bulb it comes with. Malkoff's creations are highly praised, so take a look at something like: http://www.oveready.com/led-light-e...w-single-level-drop-in-3-4-9-0v-/prod_61.html. Later on, you can look at Nailbender's creations, or a Moddoo drop-in.

If you purchase a sealed head unit like the 6PX, that's it. Two years from now when you look at upgrading, you're buying a whole new light. With the 6P host, you keep the same old body you know and love and simply upgrade the emitter. It's one of the most well-known hosts (look at the Flashaholics Top 10 list) and a huge number of people offer modifications for it.

Right now, my 6P has:
- stock bezel, but I replaced the o-rings in it with new ones (including a glow in the dark one), replaced the pyrex glass with ultra-clear glass and added a polished stainless steel bezel ring to the end
- replaced the stock P60 incan bulb with a Nailbender SST-90 that does about 550 lumens in a nice wide flood
- stock body (but may purchase a bored body that'll allow thicker rechargeable batteries)
- stock tailcap, except I ripped the guts out of it and put in a McClicky momentary switch

It's actually a bit addictive after a while - you might start small but eventually you'll start purchasing more and more upgrades for your light. My favorite light by far, hopefully whatever you purchase will be the same for you. :thumbsup:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I agree with the post above - my most-used SF's are the classic 'open' ones. Those are the easiest to upgrade - there are LED drop-ins available on CPF that can provide multiple modes and/or outputs far exceeding what the stock SF units can do. And every year, things get even better in that regard. :huh:

tandem

Enlightened
While the newer fixed format SureFire models might have a lower entry price to begin with, they have a similar high barrier to modification that most packaged off the shelf lights have. Upgrading your Fenix/Quark/Nitecore/etc generally means replacing it. For some that is a perfectly workable strategy.

For others mere personal preference will drive them to the plug and play approach that P60 hosts like certain SureFire models can offer. And for others with very specific requirements, plug and play might be the only way to get a light that meets there needs at a reasonable price point.

It's actually a bit addictive after a while

Addictive after a while? How about out of the gate! I ordered my first host bored out for 18650 cells this week and already I want to get secondary hosts or extenders to provide for 2x18650 and the first one hasn't even arrived. A triple XP-G would be nice too. Uh oh... back to deep breathing exercises, hopefully they will help.

It can be easy to get wrapped up in a whirlwind of choices available to you. If you find the prospect of a field-upgradable light (by you!) intriguing, just be sure to take it slow at first. Breathe. Slowly. ;)

More seriously, my own taste is in-line with those fine folks just above me here because of the vast array of choices that becomes available to one who travels this road. To me at the great attraction to SureFire P60 compatible hosts is the almost plug and play lego-ability you have thanks to a) the P60 drop in standard and b) the third party market of solutions out there providing everything from tail caps to clips to bezels and intriguing P60 modules with myriad capabilities available at all price points.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say get the G2X or 6PX now. It is a great light for a great price. Then shop around for a old 6P for modification.

The G2X or 6PX will be a great light that screams out 200 lumens out of the box. When technology surpasses 200 lumens as a standard, then you can have the 6P to catch up. But 200 lumens is a great amount of light.

CAMVDCS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's input. Geez, this forum has a lot of knowledge to say the least. I went and ordered a 6PL on Friday. My intentions we to get just one Surefire because of the fact that they use the 123A batteries and not the AA or AAA. But looking at your posts, I'm tempted to get a 6PX Pro now. Dang, I know where this is going.......