So what for the A2 instead of Aviatrix and Onion Ring?

MakeNoobslookNoob

Newly Enlightened
I'm a latecomer to this place so it's taking me a while to catch up....

The Aviatrix looked like a great idea for the A2, it handled the over voltage of rechargeables, had different light or flash modes etc.....

The Onion Ring offers flexibility of drop in LEDs but less flexibility regarding rechargables and doesn't seem to have the extra flash modes that the Aviatrix said.

Is there anything else out there that does what the Aviatrix used to do before Atomic Chicken vamoosed? or does anyone have specific details regarding the Aviatrix and what chips it had etc....

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

jellydonut

Enlightened
(The onion rings are equipped with resistors so) they should be okay with 2x rechargeables, it's just not guaranteed by koala.

As for blinky modes I think maybe Milky could make a mod like that for your A2. If there's a turnkey solution that replicates the function of the Aviatrix it must be well hidden! :sssh:

edit- Onion rings do not have resistors, they have something else fancy I don't have a clue about. Sorry koala. See later post by koala

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
So could anyone tell me what microcontroller was on the Aviatrix?

Any very close up photo's available?

Try out your research abilities with these pics, Don't PM me for questions...I don't have one
28u43nk.jpg

4j2mah.jpg

1zmntbn.jpg

Last edited:

MakeNoobslookNoob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Illum, that's very helpful.

Just out of interest do you think there would be demand for a hybrid Onion Ring/Aviatrix?

Regards

Illum

Flashaholic
The aviatrix originally began the rage and heightened the demand, Koala was designing something similar and his production capacity probably didn't consider the possibility of a sudden monopoly. We've lost contact with Atomic Chicken a couple years back, it is not certain whether his sell threads was a scam or was he K/MIA as Corporal in the military. Either way, theres a long list of individuals seeking for modifications of this sort and likely any mode of LED rings [hybrid or original] is likely to incur huge sales.

As with any product, it takes one failed prototype to ruin a good reputation especially if a preorder is done, [*cough* AWR *cough*] so be sure to acertain that your product is functional before taking orders. Preferably do it in batches, like FiveMega...this way while you may rack up considerable interest on the waiting list there wouldn't be disputes regarding quantities:)

MakeNoobslookNoob

Newly Enlightened
If, and that's a big If, I did this it wouldn't be on a pre order basis, it would only be on a "I've got x already built and am now taking orders" basis...i.e. Immediate Shipping.

I'll have a think and see what can be done.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Onion Ring has a 3 individual channel LED driver that controls the current to each LED. The trimpot dictates amount of current the driver should supply. The safe input voltage for Onion Ring is 10V. But I don't know if the Surefire A2 can take that. There are no resistors on the Onion Ring.

Unlike SF ring and Aviatrix, Onion Ring is fully regulated circuitry which provides stable current to the LEDs regardless of the forward voltage & input voltage.

The onion rings are equipped with resistors so they should be okay with 2x rechargeables, it's just not guaranteed by koala.

Last edited: