My first flashlight mod: ra clicky

daveRN

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone! I have been EDCing an RA clicky 120 for about 8 months. I love the UI and size, but have grown to hate the bluish tint and limited throw/output. By limited, I am referring to a comparison between this light any some of my other flashlights such as my new SureFire 6PX (btw...I love it! :party:). Today, I decided that this flashlight deserved a new emitter...here's what I created:

I removed the Cree XP-E emitter from a spare Maratac AAA (which, BTW, was not easy). I proceeded to open the head of my RA, unsolder and remove the original Seoul emitter, cut a transistor heatsink to use as a platform to raise the LED to the proper height, and attach the XP-E emitter. You can see in this picture the copious use of thermal paste:

ra_emitterinstalled.jpg

Here is a picture of the light assembled:

ra_finished.jpg

I am very happy the the results! The tint is obviously warmer, and the hot spot is tighter with ample spill. The UI performs as it did prior to the mod. Here is a beam shot from approx 12 feet against a white door:

ra_beamshot.jpg

The above shot is showing the XP-E modified ra EDC120 vs. a stock Novatac 120 which is almost identical to the output of the original ra EDC120. Both lights are set to full output.

The output is noticeably brighter and tint warmer! :) It's unfortunate that this is not the OEM LED in this flashlight (sorry Henry...). Otherwise, the RA EDC is tough to beat! The 200 lumen SureFire 6PX is still slightly brighter (emphasis on slightly), however it is a 2 CR123 flashlight so I guess it's an unfair comparison. Can anyone guess an approximation of the new Lumen Output? In hindsight, I probably should have put my meter in series with the emitter and obtained a mA power reading on high...

-Dave

daveRN

Newly Enlightened
Re: My first flashlight mod: ra clicky (update)

I checked the current at the tailcap and it appears to be 820mA on high. Assuming the driver is 90% efficient (is that close?), I guess it is driving the emitter at around 730mA? I don't want to take the head apart again for a reading at the emitter :whistle:. Given this information, does anyone have experience with the XP-E running at that current? How many lumens am I seeing? Thanks!!