NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wave of Haiku High CRI

Hi guys,
    This is an offering for another LED version of the Haiku, namely the High CRI version. This is a 1x123 light like the other Haikus with the same 3S converter now set at ~500 mA and driving the Nichia 119 LED.

The Haiku Hi CRI is being offered for $450 plus shipping *

I do want to state that my hope and intent is to process the e-mail orders for these on a first received/ first processed basis and ideally the response to your e-mail order will be a notification of shipment. I don't want to add to the number of communications by sending an acknowledgment prior to generating the postage notification.

These lights are available on first come first serve basis; as determined by e-mail orders I receive which are clear, concise and include the must have information:

In the subject line of the E-mail please state: Haiku Hi CRI
    Your CPF name
    (if you have one)
    Your real name and mailing address
    phone number if international shipment
    Any exceptions to standard shipping, which is priority mail.
    If the shipment is domestic and you want insurance, please so state. (No insurance offered on international shipments)*

For my general info on how I process these offerings, please refer to THIS THREAD. For more information on the Haiku, please review THIS THREAD.

All of these lights sport some tool marks and various cosmetic singularities. Some may be obvious and some you may need to look closely for.

If you receive one of these lights and decide that it does not meet your expectation then you can either lower your expectations or simply send the light back for a full refund. I won't offer an exchange for probably obvious reasons. (please don't abuse this offer)

Like all of my Ti lights, the Haiku High CRI is designed to be sealed from the environment and external pressure but I make no claim or suggestion that it is a dive or underwater light.

Thanks guys!

* shipping is via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation or Global Priority mail. If you wish shipping via an alternative method, or signature confirmation or insurance on domestic shipments only, please specify in your e-mail order. If you want insurance, I will also add the expense and option of signature confirmation to your shipment.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Re: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Email sent for one Haiku High CRI and one Mule High CRI head only.

Thanks Don!
    Last edited by Barbarian; 10-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Hi guys,
    I have offered the Mule as a component as well as a complete light and it only makes sense to do the same here. Should any of you wish to purchase the Haiku High CRI head only, the price would be $280 plus postage.

Alternatively, if you would like the head only but with a 6V LE the price would be $285 plus postage. If you want a 2x123 McClickie pak to make it a complete light then the pak is an additional $230.

I haven't mentioned the option of the 2xAA pak either here or in the Mule wave because at the moment, I am out of 2xAA paks! Oops! There are some in the works but no ETA as of yet.

Surprisingly, there seems to be a lot more initial interest in the Mule with the 119 than there is in the Haiku with the 119. I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise but with the interest in warm versions of collimated lights I figured there would also be interest in collimated lights that offered high CRI and not just warm or neutral CCT.

Whatever it is you would like from me, please do the best you can to be clear and concise about it so that I don't screw up your request!!

Thanks!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

email just sent for high cri head only, thanks Don!!

in edit, Unique Transaction ID #0E34001850290470W
    Last edited by pwatcher; 10-23-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Ti mule arrived - GORGEOUS - beautiful in classic McGizmo style, and the beam is a perfect tint.

Bravo, Don! I'll be posting photos/beamshots by the weekend....

I'm looking forward to your shots Dan! Please feel free to add anything to this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...58#post3575558

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post

I haven't mentioned the option of the 2xAA pak either here or in the Mule wave because at the moment, I am out of 2xAA paks! Oops! There are some in the works but no ETA as of yet.

Surprisingly, there seems to be a lot more initial interest in the Mule with the 119 than there is in the Haiku with the 119. I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise but with the interest in warm versions of collimated lights I figured there would also be interest in collimated lights that offered high CRI and not just warm or neutral CCT.

I got my Mule yesterday and compared it a long time yesterday evening to the SunDrop and the PD-Mule.

The Nichia 119 seems to be exactly the emitter to my gusto! For my personnal needs it is more than powerfull enough (on the Mule), it has THE tint I like best and it renders colors pretty well.

Why a Mule (first) and not a Haiku? I think that we associate high CRI and neutral tint more to floody lights. If you want to reder colors, you need an even beam, Lux variations also vary the rendition. Personnally, I have a Haiku XR-E and an XP-G already, so the Mule was first choice for these both reasons...

Things turned out as I expected them to, the Mule gave me appetite for the Haiku. The lower performance of the Nichia 119 compared to the Cree XP-G maybe another reason to hesitate, but after having fallen in love with the Mule, it is quite clear that I would trade the Lumens of my Haiku XP-G immediately for the creamy and sunny tint of the high CRI.

So, you're right to speak of initial interest, the one in the Haiku has been created. Currently, I'm as usually, anyway I'll wait for the 2xAA paks to be in stock again, by the end of december I hope...

My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Hi Don,

Can your Nichia 119 CRi LE, from a Mule, be transplanted into a Haiku head without any modifications?

I refer to your Haiku XP-G thread where you add electrical isolation by putting some kapton masks over the solder and trace of the LED leads on the XP-G LE. I presume to stop the reflector making contact?

With the die size being similar, is this still the case? Thanks!

Bass,
    Yes, the 119 LE from the Mule can be used in the Haiku XP-G head but I would advise some kapton tape just for security. I add it to those 119LE's that I use in the Haiku High CRI builds. The O-ring alone should take care of the needed isolation and stand off of reflector from solder pads but I feel better with the tape in place as well.

Andy, as an HDS junkie used to programming modes, it is a change. But I don't think it is a bad change. In fact, the KISS mentality behind these lights has really grown on me and I think you will appreciate it too.

Thanks Nick. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions in our PM which has helped me greatly in my decision making on what emitters I should have in the lights. I just can't wait to see the Mule in action. It is such a beauty in itself.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

I've used the Eiger with a 17500 and 10180 - with all due respect to the high cri Eiger (I do love it, after all), the Haiku has a virtual absence of tint where to me, the Eiger has a bit of a warmish yellow tint. I've carried the high cri haiku almost exclusively since I got it, but I do have the Eiger on my keychain with the 10180 body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Mule with the 119 Nichia and it is a fantastic LED. I haven't experienced the beam through a reflector but can imagine how good it is, the tint is consistent from centre to spill in the mule.

It is important to note that Don has selected a specific bin of the 119 for his CRI offerings, which are right at the top CCT for this LED. The 119's in McGizmos are of a higher CCT than are commercially available to other manufacturers; above 4000K. Not to take anything away from the Eiger, or other available drop-ins using the Nichia 119's but they are not the same. Commercially available 119's are normally in the 3000-3500K - same CRI rating but very different CCT.

pjandyho - having followed many of your threads and replies (with interest) over the years and knowing you are an accomplished photographer, I do not hesitate in saying that you are the target market for Don's CRI lights. There is simply nothing else available, custom or otherwise that come close. What Don does with LED's and reflectors is beyond comparison - the hosts are beautiful, functional works of art that are timeless, classic designs but each light has a specific purpose; each light is a tool for a particular job. For connoisseurs of light, who understand, appreciate and benefit from artificial light source LED's and can use them to enhance their lives, this is it.

Apologies for what probably sounds like pretentious hyperbole, it is certainly not meant that way. Regarding the UI, you can make it work for your purposes, I am sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Apologies for what probably sounds like pretentious hyperbole, it is certainly not meant that way. Regarding the UI, you can make it work for your purposes, I am sure of it.
    No apologies needed on that. I understand what you have said and I tend to agree, or I would not have spent $900+ on Don's lights. I guess as time passes I tend to want quality much more than quantity when it comes to my purchases. Well in the first place I have always believed in quality and that's why I always ended up buying Surefire lights from whence I started my flashlight hobby. My very first light is a Surefire M2 in late 2002 and it is still working great today!
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Thanks pjandyho. Please let us know how you get on when your lights arrive.

I'm envious, there is no better feeling than waiting for a McGizmo to arrive from the other side of the world and you have two incoming

Thanks pjandyho. Please let us know how you get on when your lights arrive.

I'm envious, there is no better feeling than waiting for a McGizmo to arrive from the other side of the world and you have two incoming
    Yep.. It happened to me three times and the feeling is just WONDERFULL
    Last edited by jumpstat; 10-10-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    SF E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    CRK 21L Umnumzaan Strider SmF ZT0560BK SPY PM2 BM 556 551-1302 ​LSTEEL HEAT HEFT4

I have a Mule with the 119 Nichia and it is a fantastic LED. I haven't experienced the beam through a reflector but can imagine how good it is, the tint is consistent from centre to spill in the mule.

It is important to note that Don has selected a specific bin of the 119 for his CRI offerings, which are right at the top CCT for this LED. The 119's in McGizmos are of a higher CCT than are commercially available to other manufacturers; above 4000K. Not to take anything away from the Eiger, or other available drop-ins using the Nichia 119's but they are not the same. Commercially available 119's are normally in the 3000-3500K - same CRI rating but very different CCT.

pjandyho - having followed many of your threads and replies (with interest) over the years and knowing you are an accomplished photographer, I do not hesitate in saying that you are the target market for Don's CRI lights. There is simply nothing else available, custom or otherwise that come close. What Don does with LED's and reflectors is beyond comparison - the hosts are beautiful, functional works of art that are timeless, classic designs but each light has a specific purpose; each light is a tool for a particular job. For connoisseurs of light, who understand, appreciate and benefit from artificial light source LED's and can use them to enhance their lives, this is it.

+1. Very well stated Bass!! I agree with every thing you said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XP-G and Nichia 119 use the same reflector and the XM-L and XR-E use the same reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    XP-G and Nichia 119 use the same reflector and the XM-L and XR-E use the same reflector.
    Ah yes. The XR-E Haiku. I forgot about that. Thanks for clearing that up Nick.

Cool XP-Gs are still available.

I'd look for run4jc's beamshots thread. He's got the various iterations of the Haiku for comparison, very good stuff.

As a rule of thumb, snowy arears fare better with warmer leds. Tropical climate fare better with cool or neutral whites.
    SF E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    CRK 21L Umnumzaan Strider SmF ZT0560BK SPY PM2 BM 556 551-1302 ​LSTEEL HEAT HEFT4

I'd say that a better rule of thumb is that it depends on the preferences of the user. As someone who enjoys the cool, floody tint from my Titan and Ion on the snow and by far prefer warmer tints with greenery, I'd say it's always best to avoid generalizations - except of course, the generalization I just made, since it simply counters the ones which try to decide for other what they themselves are best qualified to do.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Banned

To my eyes, neutral-tint and warm-tint LEDs make foliage look dry and dead. The only exception is a Hi-CRI LED, because it doesn't neglect the green and blue portions of the spectrum.

That's why the rule of thumb isn't a rule of thumb. I like the way they make the foliage look warm, alive and pleasant!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstat View Post
    As a rule of thumb, snowy arears fare better with warmer leds. Tropical climate fare better with cool or neutral whites.
    I can't comment on the snowy area since I reside in a tropical climate, but from what I gathered here many in CPF sort of prefer cool white for snow because it doesn't make the snow look like pee. Maybe they are the cool white fans I don't know for sure. Personally, I prefer anything neutral, high CRI, or warm for tropical jungles.

Don, haven't you tried an XP-G high CRI yet? I wonder how it performs in tint and power against the Nichia?

I'd be interested in a high CRI light engine for my beloved Haiku, would that be possible?
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Quote Originally Posted by Henk_Lu View Post
    Don, haven't you tried an XP-G high CRI yet? I wonder how it performs in tint and power against the Nichia?

I haven't experimented with any of the Cree High CRI LED's. To my knowledge they typically are pretty low in CCT (warm)? The other consideration I have in collimating a High CRI emitter is that of tint variation between spot and spill. If you are going for quality of light then it's nice to have an even tint throughout and the Nichia 119 seems to be well ahead of any other LED I have sampled in this regard.

Email sent for a High CRI Haiku Head.

Sent email yesterday for Haiku High CRI. Sent another email today to add Mule High CRI to order.

Thanks. First post btw.

Money sent via Paypal.

Thanks

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast