Jetbeam        
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Default Re: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Quote Originally Posted by sweet17 View Post
    i want a high quality flashlight that i can carry in my pocket that has reasonable throw/flood characteristics (i'm not a candidate for the mule) some punch when needed and reasonable battery life.
    The original Haiku had an XR-E emitter and I sold mine fairly quickly, but after trying one of the Nichia 119 versions, have found it in my pocket more often than most any other light I've had since.

Your desire for "reasonable throw/flood characteristics" makes me want to highly recommend it over the floodier XM-L version. I have several lights with XM-L's that I like very much, but find my greatest preference beamwise, when thinking of covering a wide range of uses, is with the Nichia 119 Haiku.

You've said nothing of color accuracy, but there is something very enjoyable about seeing colors closer to as they actually are without tint variance across the beam and the 119 delivers this accuracy in spades, while the XM-L has a gentle gradation from hotspot to edge.

Take a look at this thread and you can see at least a bit of what the Nichia 119 throws for beam pattern and color accuracy as well.
    Not all high CRI's are the same - V10R Ti & Haiku beamshots
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by djdawg View Post
    3-5/8ths is correct.
    I just measured mine .............LOL
    I forgot what we were talking about. Oh yeah. Flashlights. LOL

I'm very happy to hear this. I'm sure this would not be obtrusive if carried in front pocket of jeans, etc. does anybody carry this light in their front pocket? Does the pocket clip work well? Too tight? Too loose? Just right? Also, maybe an obvious answer, but would a haiku 2x123 be too obtrusive to be carried comfortably in front jean's pocket?
    Last edited by sweet17; 08-13-2013 at 06:27 AM.

For me a 2x123 tube would make it a bit on the long side but I do carry my main lights in my front pockets without a clip. Having lost too many lights due to the clips catching on things (this is also a famous way that many have lost clipped knives), I've taken to keeping a turks head knot/lanyard to pull my Haiku up and out of my pocket.

Most people do like the clip method, but you'll also see many members here using the pocket edge hanger approach, which keeps the light deep enough in the pocket that if it did snag it would take considerable force to pull it away.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Dude,

The light is very easy to carry, I have had mine clipped to my pants, everyday, since I took it from the box years ago, And they drop well in pockets; front and back. If I have one of my nice suits, nothing ever gets clipped to them regardless, as all clips, can over time, do some damage. Keep in mind these are beautiful suits, slacks and my dinner Tux. I have working suits and a working Tux. Camera bag, battery bag and camera straps ruin nice suits or a Tux. So, on these I will clip things to them since I use them for work.

The McGizmo clip is really just perfect, and since owning Spyderco knives, who pioneered all but pen clips, I rate a clip high on whatever the product is I am buying, and the McGizmo clip has never let me down - not once, ever. And, I do some pretty rough work sometimes so a good clip is worth it's weight in gold because it holds the gold.

A trick I do on all my knife clips is to polish the back so it goes in and out smooth, tension can remain tight, but a nice smooth action of removing it is nice. I leave the McGizmo clips alone because I think it is easier to have a light the size of a Haiku fall out of a pocket than a 3 or 4 inch folder. That is just my experience, yours could be different.

Good luck.

Best wishes,

NR
    Last edited by RedLed; 08-13-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Agree with RedLed about the clip. It is my personal favorite amongst all clips. Tight enough to securely latch on, and so tight it takes a bit of effort to pull out the Haiku without damaging my jeans. Don's clips exude a sense of confidence and security never felt before with other pocket clips.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by RedLed View Post
    Dude, ...
    Not sure who you're addressing here but your positive experiences and my negative ones are both simply part of the record. Most people will seldom have a loss of their light the way I did because of the way I tend to brush against things, but since we don't know what type of motion another person goes through on a daily basis, it's best to acknowledge the possibility of loss.

As noted, and I probably should have said so myself, the McGizmo clip is one of, if not the best clip out there. Still, for me a clip on a light, which I always carry in a front or back pocket when using the clip, is an invitation to lose said light, while a clip on a knife, which I carry where there is never any friction, is a must have and in no danger of loss.

Thank you for all your comments and observations about Don's pocket clips. I'm pretty easy on things, so I'm sure the clip will do the trick for me I was particularly glad to hear from owners of the haiku 1x123 that it fits nicely in front and/or rear pockets.

Now I just need to nail down the LED... XM-L or Nichia 119. Hmmm. Can i buy the haiku with say the XM-L and then buy the 119 and swap back and forth? Is this crazy talk, or do people do this?

I think there are several out there who have more than one head or engine for the Haiku. If you need a floodier beam pattern, go with the XM-L, and if you'd like a decent balance between flood and throw, with the added color accuracy it offers, go with the Nichia 119.

Did you look at the thread I linked to in my post at the top of the page yet? It shows you what you can expect from the Nichia 119 Haiku for both tint and beam pattern.

Now I just need to nail down the LED... XM-L or Nichia 119. Hmmm. Can i buy the haiku with say the XM-L and then buy the 119 and swap back and forth? Is this crazy talk, or do people do this?
    There are a few things to be aware of when swapping parts (such as proper match between LED & reflector, power pack & driver voltage, etc), but these are indeed all modular
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    I think there are several out there who have more than one head or engine for the Haiku. If you need a floodier beam pattern, go with the XM-L, and if you'd like a decent balance between flood and throw, with the added color accuracy it offers, go with the Nichia 119.

Did you look at the thread I linked to in my post at the top of the page yet? It shows you what you can expect from the Nichia 119 Haiku for both tint and beam pattern.
    yes I did that 119 beam is addictive. I'm leaning in that direction

thank you sir for welcoming me to your forum. I love your beam shots of the 119 HI CRI. But for my purposes I agree with your conclusion that the XM-L's floody beam and more punch may be more appropriate for everyday situations. Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.
    Missed your reply earlier. Just to clarify a little. Because Don don't drive his light hard, the XM-L Haiku does not carry as much punch as XM-L lights of other brands. What the XM-L does, as what Kaichu Dento has said, is produce an almost very smooth transition from hot spot to spill, actually giving a visual perception that it is floody. If most of your uses for an EDC light are within the room type of scenario then I would definitely recommend the XM-L emitter. If your application is outdoors mainly, then I am sure my beam shots as per my link below, and Kaichu Dento's link would convince you enough to go that route. The 119 emitter probably has the nicest tint ever made for an LED light.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Is there a battery preference for the Haiku High CRI 1x123? I've heard good things about AW. I'm still learning so I appreciate your advise.

AW has a battery called IMR16340. They say 16340 = CR123. Would this be the right battery? Also, I ordered a Pila IBC Lithium charger for some other batteries I use (17500 for an Overready Peak Loan I just purchased). Do you know if this charger will work for the IMR16340?

Default Wave of Haiku High CRI

Don't discount the AA sized Pak either, as it takes 14500s. I love the feel of this Pak on the Haiku!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Don't discount the AA sized Pak either, as it takes 14500s. I love the feel of this Pak on the Haiku!
    I didn't realize this option even existed I've been reading and scouring though every post about Haikus as possible. But I must be missing something. is there a post or webpage that outlines the various options, etc.? I'm guessing the AA pak is a bit thinner which might make it a bit better for pocket carry.

This post from Don has the links to all of the available lights and parts I think, or else just look through the stickies. I think the only thing missing from this list is the available Low voltage converter for those who want to use standard AAs.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=58234

Here is the thread on the 1xAA Pak. I don't know why that isn't stickied.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=346651

Here is the thread on the 1xAA Pak. I don't know why that isn't stickied.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=346651
    thank you for the assistance. very helpful. this forum is great!

FYI, i emailed andrew at AW about which AW batteries he recommends for the Haiku 1x123 and he said to use the "protected R123". here's the link he gave me http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...rotected-R123s

McGizmos are regUlated but do not have low voltage warning (e.g. blink) or cut off. They can drain a lithium primary without a problem but you don't want to do this with a li-ion r123. That's why protected li-ions are recommended.

My first McGizmo was an XML Haiku. Wonderful and very useful beam. It made me realize that there was more than just tint to be a snob about. The 3S will run on a single li-ion - 14500, r123 or, with another E series compatable body, even an 18650. Both the AA and 123 paks are great options for the 3S. They are a little different and the differences in size and ribs are subtle.

My next McGizmo was the AA Haiku with the 119V emitter. Wonderful beam and tint. A little more throwy than the XML. It hasn't unseated the XML as my go to light. At least not yet.

Perhaps I've missed it in all the many Haiku threads ... does anyone have a picture comparing the AA / 123 paks WITH a Haiku head on each? I've seen Don's photos of them bare but ... you know, more pics are always better. If I've missed it, please forgive ... and direct me to the post / thread? Thanks!

I'm very close to ordering an XML Haiku and am just fretting about which pak to put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by shudaizi View Post
    Perhaps I've missed it in all the many Haiku threads ... does anyone have a picture comparing the AA / 123 paks WITH a Haiku head on each? I've seen Don's photos of them bare but ... you know, more pics are always better. If I've missed it, please forgive ... and direct me to the post / thread? Thanks!

I'm very close to ordering an XML Haiku and am just fretting about which pak to put it on.
    I would be inclined to first go for the 1X123 pak first. While nbp is very experienced in this, he knows exactly what he wants. Unless you are dead centered on trying the AA pak then just go with the 1x123 as your first. Reason being, if you go with the 1xAA pak, you must use the rechargeable 14500. Your 3S Le will not work with an AA primary.
    Where your 1x123 will take a RCR123, it will also take all 123 primaries. Don built his 3S with 123 primary as the main source and at the same time versatile enough to handle higher voltage from a RCR123. Just my 2c.

Thanks, Ben -- I appreciate the 2c. I'm not totally adverse to being rechargeable-dependent, but you make a good case that the 1x123 is ultimately more flexible in that I can use primaries in a pinch. It has another advantage for me too -- it sounds silly because the difference to the total startup cost is so small, but the AA pak would require me to spend a bit more for the 14500s, while I already have the RCR123s.

Quote Originally Posted by BenChiew View Post
    I would be inclined to first go for the 1X123 pak first. While nbp is very experienced in this, he knows exactly what he wants. Unless you are dead centered on trying the AA pak then just go with the 1x123 as your first. Reason being, if you go with the 1xAA pak, you must use the rechargeable 14500. Your 3S Le will not work with an AA primary.
    Where your 1x123 will take a RCR123, it will also take all 123 primaries. Don built his 3S with 123 primary as the main source and at the same time versatile enough to handle higher voltage from a RCR123. Just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by shudaizi View Post
    Thanks, Ben -- I appreciate the 2c. I'm not totally adverse to being rechargeable-dependent, but you make a good case that the 1x123 is ultimately more flexible in that I can use primaries in a pinch. It has another advantage for me too -- it sounds silly because the difference to the total startup cost is so small, but the AA pak would require me to spend a bit more for the 14500s, while I already have the RCR123s.
    Glad to hear that you are getting closer to sending that email to Don. But do keep in mind of the 1xAA (RCR14500) or the 2xAA pak. The 3S will also run nicely with a 2 eneloops.

You can't go wrong with the 123 Pak. I carried that for a long time before going to the AA Pak, which I now favor.

Flashaholic*

Reason being, if you go with the 1xAA pak, you must use the rechargeable 14500. Your 3S Le will not work with an AA primary.
    I'm confused by this statement. According to Don's post, it will work with any AA cell.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcj View Post
    I'm confused by this statement. According to Don's post, it will work with any AA cell.
    He was going with the 3S LE. It will not light up if he used it with a single AA.

Okay, you guys sold ... er convinced me! Email to Don is sent. Let the (short!?!) wait begin. Sorry for all the OT posts in the Hi CRI thread.

You can't go wrong with the 123 Pak. I carried that for a long time before going to the AA Pak, which I now favor.

Flashaholic*

He was going with the 3S LE. It will not light up if he used it with a single AA.
    I wasn't aware of this. I assume it will only work on high then?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ibcj View Post
    I wasn't aware of this. I assume it will only work on high then?
    I can confirm that you will not get light. Just tested it with eneloop and nothing happens. At least on xre, xpg and XML it doesn't.

There may be some confusion here between the 1xAA (14500) McClickie Pak and the low-voltage (1xAA) driver ... since these are quite different components.
    Last edited by archimedes; 08-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast