The Fenix-Store        
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Default Re: Wave of Haiku High CRI

I just received mine today. Beautiful little light. Does anyone know the approximate run time on high? I will experiment tonight so if I don't get an answer I'll answer myself

Default Wave of Haiku High CRI

Should be an hour on RCR123 and at least 2 hours on CR123.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    Should be an hour on RCR123 and at least 2 hours on CR123.
    That was a fast response! Thanks. I will be running RCR so an hour will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1967 View Post
    That was a fast response! Thanks. I will be running RCR so an hour will be perfect.
    If you want a little bit more lux, you can also request for the Nichia 119V emitter.

Did a runtime test with a Panasonic primary and the result was 2 hours and 13 minutes till power off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    Did a runtime test with a Panasonic primary and the result was 2 hours and 13 minutes till power off.
    Thanks for that information.

Thanks for that information.
    I also did a test with 2 Eneloops on high i got 4 hours and 30 min before it started flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    I also did a test with 2 Eneloops on high i got 4 hours and 30 min before it started flashing.
    Now that is a surprise. 2 eneloops would have a lower combined voltage compared to one CR123. The mA contained is not much more but how did it give twice the runtime.
    Any experts can explain this?

According to this post
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...tery-Shoot-Out

A Panasonic cr123 can provide about 3.8watt.hours at a current draw of 0.5amps.
    Two standard eneloop can pak 1.2x1.8x2=4.32watt.hours.

So in theory the eneloop should yield only 13% more runtime compared to cr123.

I think there is either a user error or simply they didn't conduct the test in the same way, for example when to stop the stopwatch (beginning of throttle down vs no more light)

Question answered by Don
    Last edited by Frank1967; 05-07-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Answered by Don

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post
    According to this post
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...tery-Shoot-Out

A Panasonic cr123 can provide about 3.8watt.hours at a current draw of 0.5amps.
    Two standard eneloop can pak 1.2x1.8x2=4.32watt.hours.

So in theory the eneloop should yield only 13% more runtime compared to cr123.

I think there is either a user error or simply they didn't conduct the test in the same way, for example when to stop the stopwatch (beginning of throttle down vs no more light)
    Actually i was wrong it started flashing at 2 hours and 20 min but it still had usable light at that point.
    Last edited by Shooter21; 05-07-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Flashaholic

McGizmo made me sell 90% of my Surefire collection. Now 90% of my lights are McGizmos.
    As a general purpose and as a last resort flashlight I find McGizmo lights to be the flashlight I turn to, especially the ones that take AA's; I use Eneloops. Love the McGizmo lights and I prefer to use them 99 percent of the time. But they have not replace my single mode 6P or C2 for the security function the Surefire lights were designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by ajl View Post
    As a general purpose and as a last resort flashlight I find McGizmo lights to be the flashlight I turn to, especially the ones that take AA's; I use Eneloops. Love the McGizmo lights and I prefer to use them 99 percent of the time. But they have not replace my single mode 6P or C2 for the security function the Surefire lights were designed for.
    LOL. You should handle the 6volts Makai. Would love to hear what you think of it.

Flashaholic

The thought really did cross my mind. But when a security situation occurs (like something as simple as a car coming around a curve while walking the dog), I don't want to be switching modes from low to med to high while also making sure the dog is safe. (And if the light is off when I really need the light on, I want to be 100% sure the light comes on High when the button is pressed for the first time. I want my entire area to be illuminated.) Furthermore I just prefer a protruding button/switch vs a recessed button/switch. I just find it quicker/easier to mash to light up my position. That being said, I bet the Makai can really put out a wall of light. As I mentioned above, I love my McGismo's for the vast majority of my needs.

I wonder if Don can program the 3s or 6v with the same drive level for all 3 stage. Then it would be the same no matter how you press it. OR can he make it single stage to cater for the tactical usage as described above.

I have no means of programming the levels on the 3 level converters. I can set the high level at a few different levels and then medium and low follow as a set percentage of the high. I have made a few of these lights as single level for folks by using one of Wayne's NexGen or GD converters instead of the three level drivers.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks for that Don. It is nice to know that you have accommodated those that have a reason for a single stage.
    There you go AJL, your call.

Flashaholic

Let me say, for the record, I love Don's flashlights. I personally have five (5) of them, two single cr123 types, two double AA types, and one single AA types. I understand designing a product is a compromise of different features that conflict. No one product is going to be all things to all people at all times. Reminds me of the saying about if you only have a hammer, all things look like nails to you... I respect the design of Don's flashlights. I would not think of asking to modify a light to muck up a well thought of product. I do have other lights that I use if I have a special need. But no light that I have or know of does it all.

My personal threats when it becomes dark are cars (when I have my pug out), pit bulls (one neighbor has one that has never gotten loose, one neighbor may or may not still have his (it has been very bad), and hurricanes (power outages). It has been years since I have seen a loose pit bull in the area, and if I see one loose in the future I will carry more than just a flashlight.

Let me close by saying I was thrilled to learn that Don was developing lights for the AA battery. (I am currently using the HCri types with Eneloops.) His lights are as good as they come. Could not as for anything better.

(The problem with a single mode bright light is that they: tend to heat up, have a shorter run time, and the vast majority of the time I don't want to use a bright light. Why muck up a good design? Easier just to use the proper tool.)
    Last edited by ajl; 05-09-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Question Re: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Are there anymore of these available? I'd love to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJlew85 View Post
    Are there anymore of these available? I'd love to own one.
    Yes, I am still offering and building these for folks.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic

I have a stupid question ..........I have a Haiku XML , and if I bought a Haiku CRI ........ how would I tell them apart ? LOL
    Iam sure they look alike .........
    If both were in a drawer side by side and I wanted to get the CRI .........how would I know which one I was grabbing ???

Look into the front. You will notice the XML noticeably larger while the 119 is significantly smaller.

Flashaholic

Thanks .........I havent bought the 119 yet but I was thinkin about it.
    Iam not sure I should though , I dont really need it I know .............just think I should have it ......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by djdawg View Post
    I am not sure I should though , I dont really need it I know .............just think I should have it ......LOL
    Another way you would be able to tell is in the way that really matters, assuming you don't need tons of floody output - the smooth, non-changing tint from edge to edge that the Nichia 119 delivers.

Didn't like my first Haiku, an XR-E version, and sold it almost immediately. A couple years later did a curiosity buy on a Nichia 119 Haiku and it's still almost always in my pocket.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by djdawg View Post
    Iam not sure I should though , I dont really need it I know .............just think I should have it ......LOL
    Only way out is to try it. If you don't like it there is always someone that will. Just take the losses if any as rental.

Flashaholic

Does anybody have a beam shot comparing the Haiku High CRI (Nichia 119 or 119V) to the Haiku XM-L?

Quote Originally Posted by the badger View Post
    Does anybody have a beam shot comparing the Haiku High CRI (Nichia 119 or 119V) to the Haiku XM-L?
    I have what is needed to do the comparison beam shots of both but have yet to do it. I did only the beam shots comparing the 119 Haiku versus the 119 Mule. As it is pretty bright here where I stay, it would be impossible to do a good beam shot until I get on one of my camping trips in a couple of week's time. If there are still none available from other members here by then, I would provide one for you if you could wait.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Flashaholic

That would be great! Thanks.
    Although if anybody has some pics they can post up sooner that would be great too. I'm trying to figure out whether or not to buy one fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by the badger View Post
    That would be great! Thanks.
    Although if anybody has some pics they can post up sooner that would be great too. I'm trying to figure out whether or not to buy one fairly quickly.
    What is your intended usage? Would it be used in a wooded area or in the city?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    What is your intended usage? Would it be used in a wooded area or in the city?
    EDC mostly, equally in the city and the bush. I live in the bush (almost) and spend a lot of time in areas with little to no city lights. But then again, I'll take it out every night on my 01:00 am dog walk which starts/finished in an area lit up by street lights but goes into a pitch-black forested park. I take my Haiku XM-L out with me now, but am curious about the tint/beam of the Nichia 119V after having a XP-G2 R5 (5000K) swapped in my Surefire U2 Ultra. I love the warmer, but not too warm, tint of my XP-G2 U2 and think I'll like the 119V as it seems to be somewhat along the same lines.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast