FourSevens        
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Default Re: Wave of Haiku High CRI

Quote Originally Posted by the badger View Post
    EDC mostly, equally in the city and the bush. I live in the bush (almost) and spend a lot of time in areas with little to no city lights. But then again, I'll take it out every night on my 01:00 am dog walk which starts/finished in an area lit up by street lights but goes into a pitch-black forested park. I take my Haiku XM-L out with me now, but am curious about the tint/beam of the Nichia 119V after having a XP-G2 R5 (5000K) swapped in my Surefire U2 Ultra. I love the warmer, but not too warm, tint of my XP-G2 U2 and think I'll like the 119V as it seems to be somewhat along the same lines.
    Based on your description, you could be quite happy with the Nichia 119 emitter. I had used my high CRI Haiku exclusively on a night trek and have been quite happy with it. I did bring along other lights that night but I deliberately left them in the bag pack and I am glad to say that the Nichia 119 Haiku did it's job splendidly. I was on either low or medium output mainly to preserve night vision and also conserve battery power since it was raining that night and it would be a hassle to swap batteries under the rain. Very seldom do I even need high output even though it is not a very bright light by today's standards.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    ..... Very seldom do I even need high output even though it is not a very bright light by today's standards.
    This last comment got me to thinking about today's standards. When LED's first made the scene and some of us were modding incandescent hosts with them, we were lucky to get 25 lumens out the front with a Luxeon LED and for many applications this was sufficient. They couldn't stand up against the 60 and 90 lumen incans from SureFire but then no other flashlights really could either. Nights haven't gotten any darker since then and our eyes haven't lost their ability to see, as a species anyway; for some of us individuals no doubt there has been some loss in sensitivity and acuity. To get to the point, we now have the ability to put out a heck of alot more light out there than folks could 15 years ago but that doesn't mean we need to or even benefit from doing so. Bright light generates dark shadow. With the three levels my lights presently put out, there is a sound argument that a lower low is missing from the set. And my lights are not close to being as bright as others or what the LED's can support. It's really amazing how far the LED technology has come and what is now available to us!! We can flood or pierce the night with serious overkill without breaking a sweat these days. It's great to have the ability but it is possible to generate too much light and it may not be that obvious.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Well said Don! I have been toying with some high output lights and they are really impressive. But aside from being bright and impressive, they waste more energy than what we really actually needed.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

I love the warmer, but not too warm, tint of my XP-G2 U2 and think I'll like the 119V as it seems to be somewhat along the same lines.
    With that being the case you may be disappointed with the pure neutral white of the 119, unless the 119V mentioned is a warmer variation.

I too prefer a touch of warmth, but still love my 119 Haiku for it's accuracy and tendency to show everything just as it is.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    [...]we now have the ability to put out a heck of alot more light out there than folks could 15 years ago but that doesn't mean we need to or even benefit from doing so. Bright light generates dark shadow.[...]
    Very elegant way to sum it up, indeed.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    With that being the case you may be disappointed with the pure neutral white of the 119, unless the 119V mentioned is a warmer variation.

I too prefer a touch of warmth, but still love my 119 Haiku for it's accuracy and tendency to show everything just as it is.

I was under the impression that the 119V was the more white/neutral of the two - the 119 being yellower!?

I was under the impression that the 119V was the more white/neutral of the two - the 119 being yellower!?
    Hold on here... I am kind of confused. What is with the 119 and 119V here? Aren't they all the same in the Haiku?

Flashaholic

Hold on here... I am kind of confused. What is with the 119 and 119V here? Aren't they all the same in the Haiku?
    Nope. Someone here will chime in soon and clear things up. But for now, my understanding is that the 119 has a warm (yellow/tan) tint whereas the 119V appears to have a lavender/rose tint which is neither cool or warm.

Don?

*Edit - try this: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...h-CRI-LED-119V

Thanks! I read that thread but missed out the ending part where Don said he will add the 119V to the mix.

Flashaholic

I understand that the 119V is the name Don uses for the same LED that is referred to as the 219 by other manufacturers? Or is there a difference. I'm still confused...
    Last edited by persco; 05-21-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by persco View Post
    I understand that the 119V is the name Don uses for the same LED that is referred to as the 219 by other manufacturers? Or is there a difference. I'm still confused...
    I'm suddenly confused about something I thought I understood quite well.

Here's what I think the 119 is
    , which is how I bought the light - purely neutral white.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

The 119V can be driven much harder than the original 119 at 1.5amps. Thus giving better lux if needed.

Flashaholic

Ok, I'm lost here....

This photo shows the 119 Haiku to be what I would call neutral/white (not "warm" like the other pics of the XP-G in kaichu dento's thread) http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3805272

So if the 119 looks to be neutral/white, what does the 119V look like? Comparison pics of the 119 and 119V are definitely in order now.

So if the 119 looks to be neutral/white, what does the 119V look like? Comparison pics of the 119 and 119V are definitely in order now.
    I don't even know which one I have now and if it turns out that what I have, then I'll update the thread.

Tried to add some pics of the hCRI 119/219/XP-G comparison, but the pictures were no good and I'm hoping to get them sometime in the next week.

Flashaholic

Do you mean Haiku vs Haiku?

Default Wave of Haiku High CRI

I don't even know which one I have now and if it turns out that what I have, then I'll update the thread.

Tried to add some pics of the hCRI 119/219/XP-G comparison, but the pictures were no good and I'm hoping to get them sometime in the next week.
    Can you upload a clear picture of your emitter. I will try to identify it.

Nichia's nomenclature identifies the difference between the 119 and 219 as that of the solder pad footprint of the LED. The 219 consists of three pads on the bottom of the LED A center pad for heat sink and then outer pads for the LED leads. It is a foot print compatible with the Cree XP-G if I recall correctly. The 119 has two larger pads on the bottom, one for each LED lead and they serve as heat sink transfer pads as well. There are two different dies with a third reportedly in development used in these packages and they differ in actual size as well as current capacity.

I now have two High CRI Nichia LED's I am working with and I have used the shorthand of identifying them as 119 or 119V. The V is the newer part with larger die and greater current capacity. Both are in the 4500 - 5000 CCT range.This is the highest CCT bin offered in the high CRI version of these LEDs (the 119 and 219 are also available in higher flux, lower CRI versions)

If the term or idea of cool - neutral -warm is strictly based on CCT then both of my LED's are the same. If you fire one of each up and compare them to each other, the 119 looks to be of a yellow tint whereas the 119V appears to be of a rose or lavender tint. If this makes one warmer or more neutral than the other I leave it to you to decide?!?!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I see the XP-G added to comments of comparison and I have no experience with the latest round of XP-G LED's but historically when I sampled and evaluated High CRI LED's from some of the other LED manufacturers they didn't come close to the Nichia in regards to high CRI. To my knowledge, these LED are all still blue LED dies. The LED becomes a white LED by virtue of the phosphor added to the die. It's my opinion that Cree makes the most efficient blue LED die and Nichia makes the best phosphor in converting the blue light into a full spectrum, white emission.

If you wake up in the middle of the night and turn on a LED light as the only source of light and shine it on a wall you might not be able to identify what its tint is. If you now shine it on a field of red, blue, green, yellow and purple objects you will be able to distinguish those different colors but they may not be quite "right", thats where color rendering comes in to play.

I resurrected a thread on CRI and in it is discussion of a color checker tool. If you guys want to look at beamshots that help evaluate the nature of a LED's color rendering then one of these color checkers should be your target and not a white wall. I have found for evaluating a LED's color rendering output a good purple target can tell you how its relative balance of blue VS red is. I see some other members have found brown to be a good checker. I suspect brown targets require sufficient red for identification and given an incan's overabundance of red it is no surprise an incan will tell you an object is brown.

Flashaholic

Pics!!!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Nichia's nomenclature identifies the difference between the 119 and 219 as that of the solder pad footprint of the LED. The 219 consists of three pads on the bottom of the LED A center pad for heat sink and then outer pads for the LED leads. It is a foot print compatible with the Cree XP-G if I recall correctly. The 119 has two larger pads on the bottom, one for each LED lead and they serve as heat sink transfer pads as well. There are two different dies with a third reportedly in development used in these packages and they differ in actual size as well as current capacity.

I now have two High CRI Nichia LED's I am working with and I have used the shorthand of identifying them as 119 or 119V. The V is the newer part with larger die and greater current capacity. Both are in the 4500 - 5000 CCT range.This is the highest CCT bin offered in the high CRI version of these LEDs (the 119 and 219 are also available in higher flux, lower CRI versions)

If the term or idea of cool - neutral -warm is strictly based on CCT then both of my LED's are the same. If you fire one of each up and compare them to each other, the 119 looks to be of a yellow tint whereas the 119V appears to be of a rose or lavender tint. If this makes one warmer or more neutral than the other I leave it to you to decide?!?!
    Thanks Don! I think I understand now...

Flashaholic

Pics!!!
    Ask and you shall receive ........................

Just trying to be funny.

If I have an XM-L Mule incoming, could I order this Haiku Hi-CRI head and put it on the Mule's body without any fuss?

Default Wave of Haiku High CRI

Quote Originally Posted by wundergussy View Post
    If I have an XM-L Mule incoming, could I order this Haiku Hi-CRI head and put it on the Mule's body without any fuss?
    100% you can. They are compatible.

Flashaholic

Now you're thinking like a McGizmo addict! Welcome to the club.

This is the reason I keep coming back to McG. Buy some parts/lights, Change them around. Buy some more parts/lights. Change them around again. Always have new and wonderful creations to play with.

eala

Getting funds together; will hopefully be emailing Don tonight about the Haiku head!

After you get the head, you will realize that it is too troublesome to keep swapping them around. You will end up buying another body for it. It happened to me, and it can happen to you too.

After you get the head, you will realize that it is too troublesome to keep swapping them around. You will end up buying another body for it. It happened to me, and it can happen to you too.
    Is it any more arduous than opening it up to change a battery? I mean, I do get what you're saying: if I had the funds to just get both, I would. Really, this is gonna be a way for me to try both lights and see if I prefer one to the other, or if I need two, or if the Mule is gonna be a work-room thing and the Haiku my EDC, etc. etc.

ANNNNND Email sent for a Haiku Hi CRI head!

Is it any more arduous than opening it up to change a battery? I mean, I do get what you're saying: if I had the funds to just get both, I would. Really, this is gonna be a way for me to try both lights and see if I prefer one to the other, or if I need two, or if the Mule is gonna be a work-room thing and the Haiku my EDC, etc. etc.
    Hahaha... Trust me. You will feel that you need a complete light later on. In fact, that is how I ended up with a Mule high CRI, an XM-L Haiku and a high CRI Haiku within a month. It way busted my budget and I sort of got to survive "eating grass" for the month but I have no regrets. Now I can pack all of them out and use them as and when I need without having to keep swapping the heads around.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast