A few questions about converting SF E2D to LED

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
Hi there CPF,

I've been reading up on a few things regarding a few of my E2 series incans, and have learned quite a bit on modifying them. Up until now, I thought I was stuck with either incan bulbs from SF, or the million dollar head conversion from SF themselves.

I was then lead to the Lumen Factory bulb from light hound. While it was a very attractive option, being $18 a bulb, I was concerned about the battery issues. If I were to hypothetically get this bulb, would I have to use the special IMR rechargeables with it indefinitely?

What I'm basically looking for is an LED solution to my E2D and E2 Outdoorsman lights and spend maybe only 20 to 25 dollars per light. I'd like to stick to the standard 123A batteries as well, if at all possible. I'd also like a solution that is brighter than what they currently are at, with the incan bulbs. I was reading that the Lumen factory bulbs were 350 lumens (impressive for such a small package) but the batteries will drain very quickly. However, can I still use the Lumen Factory bulbs while still using the standard 123A's?

Here is the bulb in question:

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Fa...eFire-E-Series-IMR-Batteries-ONLY_p_2837.html

If you guys have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your help!

Erzengel

Enlightened
The bulb in Your link is no LED, it is a Xenon bulb and designed for special batteries

***This Product is Designed for use with IMR(LiMN) Batteries ONLY***

seahunt

Enlightened
Had same needs and went with a
KuKu427 (Steve Ku) E-series tower module drop-in,
3-mode, 2xCR123, cool (neutral available).
WoW! Tested 200+OTF.
Check it out.
Regards, Chuck

Roland of Gilead

Newly Enlightened
+1 for KuKu427 E-Series drop-in.

It allows you to use the small factory head which is exactly what I was looking for. the Surefire kxc2 head is not only expensive but is big also.
I just received 2 (E2e and E1e). both of mine were in neutral and 1-mode. Runtime is said to be 2 hours on 1-mode. More than double the runtime and more the 3x the output. (rated for 250 lumens so more like 4x the output.)

Incase you couldn't tell, I am very impressed with them. I love my E-series lights.
buttrock.gif

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
My mistake, I wasn't quite paying attention and was only looking at the price =p

Well I'd like to keep the original E2 heads also. I looked into KuKu427's sale thread and it seemed like a viable option. While pricey, it's understandable for an LED option. Can they be used with the original tailcaps?

Also, how do the modes work? I understand that they are for brightness, but I'm wondering how they are utilized. I'm assuming the "cool" and "neutral" options indicate the beam color, which are white and a warmer incan type color, respectively.

Thanks for your input guys!

Roland of Gilead

Newly Enlightened
Incandesent bulbs are cheaper because they burn out and have to be replaced often.

His drop-in might seem pricey but it is very well built. it is easy to install, just like changing your bulb. Since yours is the E2D with the crenulated bezel, I would would want to keep the E-series head also.

Yes, it will work with your factory tailcap.

Both of mine are 1 mode so I don't know if his run from high to low or low to high.

yes, they refer to color or tint of the beam. It really makes a difference outdoors.

There was a review of one of his products here and he has a sales thread in the Dealer's Corner over at the Marketplace. If you click on the first page he gives you the options and pictures with beamshots.

Good luck.

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm sold on his drop ins now. Just a few more questions before I make the jump.

Being that it'll be an all purpose light, would it be better for me to pick the neutral tint? While I do like the cool, practicality is what is most important for me.

Also, for those that can provide input on this, I'm curious on how I can utilize the different modes with the standard SF tailcap. Do I just press the tailcap like I normally would, and it would cycle through the different modes?

Thanks

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a 3 mode dropin from KuKu. It was one of the first/second batch made so it goes Low/Medium/High. Don't worry, it will work with your stock light, just make sure to read his sales thread before you buy.

luck

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I plan on doing this also. Does anybody know if KuKu still puts this LED conversion together. I see some from Lumen Factory, but my search fu doesn't find useful info about them. Should I go with Surefire's conversion? Thanks for any other suggestions.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
One suggestion would be a Malkoff Scout head. This head will give you a single high output. The bezel extends out from the lens a bit more than many other lights, which can serve a similar purpose to crenellations without the aggressive appearance.