WOOHOO!!! NEW QUARKS ARE HERE!!!

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hello CPF!!

I was just on the 4Sevens Website and...

"4Sevens Flashlights is making history again by offering a premium line for most of our models with the XP-G S2 emitter!

Pre-orders are now open with shipping dates just in time for the gifting season! We have a limited production capacity for this season so this is "while supplies last" offer. The XP-G S2 is the next bin up in efficiency and performance from the R5 - they are approximately 7% brighter at the same current - thus greater luminous efficiency than ever before."

BUT...
I was looking at the specs for the AA-2 S2 and the lumen rating is LOWER?!!?

EDIT: Just found out that these lumen ratings are ANSI lumens, and the lights are measured in certified labs, according to specific standards

Also, the Regular AA-2 has momentary-on AND level memorisation!!!

Well,
Have fun!!!

Woodentsick

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really weird - is it due to the ANSI rating? The Quarks ship with Energizer Alkalines, which would perform poorly on Max level. But each level except Moonlight is lower with shorter runtime - quite the opposite of what I want.

More here: click

SixM

Newly Enlightened
That's really weird - is it due to the ANSI rating? The Quarks ship with Energizer Alkalines, which would perform poorly on Max level. But each level except Moonlight is lower with shorter runtime - quite the opposite of what I want.

More here: click

Yes, ANSI measures at 3 mins in, vs measuring at startup.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.
Will they still show the huge output gains by using a 14500?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything is going to be the same except for the increase of output which will be about seven percent and possibly tint.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
You know what might really help me, anyway, is for someone with some knowledge about these things to describe to me how the two compare (R5 to an S2). For example, at the 4Sevens website, I see a Quark 123x2 R5 rated at 230 OTF lumens, and the same light with an S2 rated at 200 ANSI lumens. The claim is an S2 is 7% brighter, but I don't have anything to compare OTF to ANSI lumens. I own this light in an R5 version, and I very rarely run it with 2 cr123s. I use a 17650 most of the time and I'm not pushing the LED very hard at all, so I have a visual idea how blindingly bright it can be, even at 4.0 v., but I have no visual reference of an S2 to use to compare. Maybe a beamshot would help, but I don't know for sure. Maybe the question should be "how many OTF lumens is 200 ANSI lumens?" Is it 214 ANSI or is it 246 OTF, or what? Then the next question is "what will it look like?" Or, does defloyd77 have it right (everythings the same plus the 7% increase)? Quite frankly, I'm confused. :confused:

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
They need to go to a higher amp driver to peak my interest. Max is still under an amp right?

palimpsest

Newly Enlightened
Everything is going to be the same except for the increase of output which will be about seven percent and possibly tint.
Everything is going to be the same except for the increase of output AND increase of price.
R5 compared to S2:

A Quark 123² Turbo S2 Edition is 85$ and an R5 edition is 75$.
This means those 7% more brightness cost 13,4% more money.
:oops:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Everything is going to be the same except for the increase of output AND increase of price.
R5 compared to S2:

A Quark 123² Turbo S2 Edition is 85$ and an R5 edition is 75$.
This means those 7% more brightness cost 13,4% more money.

Just as expected, you have to pay premium price for premium models. I would also expect that 4sevens has payed a premium for the leds.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just as expected, you have to pay premium price for premium models. I would also expect that 4sevens has pay a premium for the leds.

I'd pay the $85 if it had a burst mode at 1.5 amps.

Larbo

Enlightened
I cant wait for side to side beamshot pics with against the R2 and R5 versions, then I will make my choice.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be waiting for S5 or T2, I think. This price increase seems a bit much. Plus, I imagine the S LEDs have a larger die.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be waiting for S5 or T2, I think. This price increase seems a bit much. Plus, I imagine the S LEDs have a larger die.

I'd imagine the S bin LED's have the same size as the other XP-G's.

Now for those who are confused about ANSI and OTF lumens, OTF, you turn on the light and you measure with a light meter, ANSI runs the light for 3 minutes, then measures with a light meter. As the lights warm up, they lose efficiency and drop in output. Also ANSI runtimes are to 10% of original output versus the previous to 50% measurements.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
To everyone asking "What's the difference" or "What are beamshots like:"

It's the same LED die, same flashlight, same driver, same reflector. The S2 bin emits 7% more light than the R5 bin. I don't know what tint they've got the S2 in.