Led Lenser P7 hack help please?

onewarmguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I"ve recently purchased an LED Lenser P7 for EDC. I needed the flood to spot focusing ability, one to light my way and the other to indicate specific area's inside a dark building. Over all I'm satisified (but not thrilled) with the purchase and I've got a question for the forum. The lens on the P7 is made out of some sort of plastic and I'm concerned that over time the grit will scratch the lens and affect beam quality. Is there any way to install a scratch resistant glass cover over the existing lens? Or am I stuck with using a piece of custom cut screen protector from my Blackberry?
Also if anyone has suggestions for a superior flashlight with a spot to flood capability please speak up, I know that the Lenser is not particularly well thought of around here, but it was the only one I could find that offered a reasonable build quality and a floot to spot ability.
Thanks
Onewarmguy

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very easy way around this,buy a rifle telescopic sight push fit cover.They come in many different sizes and simply push on,just flick up the cover to use your light,buy a non branded make and they are really next to nothing.When the cover is shut your lens is protected.You can also get them with colored lens.

LEDburn

Enlightened
I'm assuming you haven't used many lights - I haven't either so I'm no expert, but I used to think my LED Lenser's were good. That was until I got a Fenix and a Quark.

You'll probably realize after using one of those that flood to throw really isn't all it's made out to be.

My P5's flood was comparable to the flood my LD10 produces albeit with a major deadspot in the middle of the Lenser's beam whereas the LD10 has most of the light focused there. I've found that the distance you can illuminate is barely any more with the P5 and on a whole the usability is a hell of a lot less, you have a huge area of illumination on the LD10 with a defined centre which is nice and bright for spotting things at a distance without the need to change or focus your beam. LD10 is also multi mode so has a few levels and is surprisingly small and good in the hand.
Not just that but I feel the build quality and ruggedness is a whole level higher with the Fenix and Quark - I submerge these no second thoughts - no way I'd do that to a LED Lenser.

My P7 compared to my AA2 Quark Turbo is similar to the LD10 vs P5 comparo above, obviously these are bigger lights so are a good comparison to each other - they both throw a bit further, but again I find the Quark much more useful. Operation of modes is one thing but so is the flood to throw mechanism again, the P7 I found really easy to accidently focus of defocus when I didn't intend to do so.

Basically unless you are dead set in your ways and will only accept a LED Lenser or a light with focusing capabilities, then I'd look at another light option if funds permit.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I work at a place here in Sydney, Australia that sells Led Lensers and they are indeed a favourite. But I believe that is more due to their affordability than anything else.

The previous big seller were Maglites, but when people became more aware of LEDs the LL were the go to light.

But honestly in comparison to the Jetbeams and Nitecores we recently began stocking, the LLs clearly lack the same build quality. And because of the direct drive they manage to fool customers with the impressive numbers which are far from accurate.

But back on topic - the lens shouldn't really scratch - it pretty recessed and a quick puff of air should remove any grit from accumulating. The only real issue we have had is with the lens cracking. But then again that is only a very small percentage. Only about 2-3 cases. All similar stories - dropped light on head and lens cracked. But LL generally is more than happy to replace it.

MannyDLights

Newly Enlightened
My main question would be is it a real P5 or P7 LED lenser ? I bought one on ebay that the beam had a light shaped like a small house ? When on tight focus, then finally I found someone that knows them well and he told that mine was a Singapore made copy :mecry:

I finally spent the $90.00 for a real P7 and that's when I got a Real one ....... The bean is simply perfect round, blue and very Powerful !

Watch out with fake ones on ebay !!!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDburn, here is one bit of proof to state that your post is inaccurate, I've never laughed so hard before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsS0A5PYrh0

Who cares what can drive over it at low speed with giant soft tires? The other one you posted (why in another post?) is more relevant to flashlight use. I don't like battery holders because the wrappers scrape off. My LEDlensers have done ok, but I can do better. Flood to throw isn't commonly useful, and I've yet to see a waterproof one outside a dive light.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened

You seem very adamant on proving LLs worth, not only here but in other topics.
You may notice that I never said LLs were crap, or useless. I merely said they were not the same quality.
I was just stating from my opinion that when putting other lights that our store carries (Jetbeams and Nitecores) against the LLs, the LL is not as good. This is not to say that the LL will fail or fall apart. Just in material, finish and overall fit.

The LL lens is plastic while the others are glass. The threads on some of them are a bit rougher and in one or two some bits of metal dust can be seen on the o-rings. The anodising is consistent but occasionally on some the finish seems a little thinner and more fragile.

Don't get me wrong they are still a huge seller and are head and shoulders above the other multi-led crap you can pick up from Woolworths. Its just that side by side, there is an obvious winner. In my opinion at least.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
You seem very adamant on proving LLs worth, not only here but in other topics.

Your Observant.
BTW, There is no lens. The optic is by Fraen, it's a refractive collimator made from Acrylic.
It's a reoccurring thing, constantly hearing how bad the quality is, (this isn't directed at you) and how crap they are. Yet, to this day, no one has provided a pic on how bad the lights really are. I want to be able to see what everyone else is seeing. If someone did prove their unworth, it would probably shut me up...for good.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Not really observant. I just tend to take note of what other Aussie users have to say.
From what I have read in this topic - no one has said that Led Lenser is crap or bad quality. Just that there are better options.

earthlight

Newly Enlightened
Not really observant. I just tend to take note of what other Aussie users have to say.
From what I have read in this topic - no one has said that Led Lenser is crap or bad quality. Just that there are better options.

I agree about the better options.

Earthlight

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
for what the offer (no electric regulation but direct drive with resistor; no HA; silly battery choice, ...) they simply are too expensive.
But the machining is great, agreed.

flood to zoom is, in real use, just a reason for additional problems and for the light not being well protected against the elements.
A fixed focus light w. medium beam is much better (which is the reason most all respected "professional" lights do feature such beams)

... when You want an alternative, there is one.
Cheap and constructed like the price suggests, but working really good and very rugged, and working with much better battery choice:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14450
PS: with my model (and the 7 I advised to friends around) the lens is also plastic