ZebraLight Flood Angles

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
I need some feedback from actual users about the 80° flood angle on the newer ZebraLight headlamps.

I have used 3 H-50's since they first came out all over the world, in some very demanding situations doing medical volunteering in the jungles of Africa, Central and South America, among others. They are reliable and the floody 120° angle is very useful in lots of situations, tho certainly not all [so I do carry other lights as well.]

I am contemplating purchasing an H-51 to have more available light, and wondered if some actual users have tried reading in bed with the 80° angle lights? Does the 80° fully and evenly cover the open pages of a book when you are reading? I really don't like a strong or even noticeable hot spot on the page when I am reading in otherwise complete darkness.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience!! And I want to echo the thanks of many others to members like selfbuilt who have done such careful and extensive reviews of lights here on the Forum.

John

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a newbie in search of a hand-free light when I came across your review of the H50 a while back. Nice review! Thanks for that. The 80 degree lights you are referring to are flood lights such as the H30, H60 and H501. The H51 is not a flood light. IMO, 80 degree lights like the H501 has a better beam than the H50. The beam is narrower and brighter but still wide and useful. The H501w is even more ideal for your use.

You probably meant to ask about the H51, but here is the 80 degree beam of the H501 in use for reading.
IMG_5182.jpg

Last edited:

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
The 80 degree lights you are referring to are flood lights such as the H30, H60 and H501. The H51 is not a flood light...

David
Thanks for the compliment. I was happy to contribute.

Your comments led me to read the ZebraLight site a bit more closely:
"H-51
Beam Type
◦ 80° spill beam spread
◦ 11° (3.8 feet at 20 feet) hot spot

"H-501
Beam Type: 80 degree flood, with no hotspot"​

In retrospect, I now realize that while the H-51 is listed as having 80° beam spill spread, it also intentionally has a hot spot which I may not like for reading!!

Have any H-51 owners used theirs for reading and can you report on the hot spot at normal reading distance? Any chance for a pic like David's??

Thanks, John

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
I am cross-posting this from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraLight
Wait for 2-3 weeks for the H51F.​

As the OP, I think this answers my question, and I consider this thread [informally] closed.