What happened to Akoray?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I started reading CPF over a year ago, there was a huge amount of enthusiasm on the forums about the Akoray 106. Now there's nothing.

What happened?

Was the Akoray overshadowed by newer, better bang-for-the-buck lights? Or was it not as good as the initial posts indicated?

--flatline

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my 2 year old K-106 at work everyday. When mated with a Li-on battery, it is very bright. It's also my outdoor light.

People here will go gaga over new lights for a while. Then move on to the newer lights.

JDest

Newly Enlightened
(Just posted about this light, but I'll give it another go)

The AKoray lights are every bit as good as advertised, however, the Q5 emitter is aging. They still represent possibly the best bang-for-buck value, but as emitter output and efficiency improve, members of this forum are increasingly willing to pay more to get more. Don't forget that only the truly collectible lights with massive followings (SF, HDS, etc) are able to continually generate a buzz thanks to their loyal fanbase.

If you look at most of the current offerings in the small EDC category, we're sort of at a plateau as far as light output is concerned. Between 200 and 300 OTF lumens (from XR-E, XP-E and XP-G) seems to be where we're at for small EDC powered by Li-Ion. (Except that really sweet looking Zebralight SC51 which claims 200 OTF on an Eneloop.:thumbsup:)

While it certainly isn't everything, output is a major factor of I'd say 75% of the light purchases made by the educated members of this forum. (And probably 99.99% of the purchases made by the rest of the world). So considering that plateau, and the usual desire to have the next best thing, even small incremental increases will see purchases at this point.

Until someone shoves an emitter producing over 500 lumens in an EDC size (that doesnt have laughable runtimes like the D-Mini VX Ultra on 123 batts), I think these trend will continue.

shark_za

Enlightened
The enthusiasm was for the programmable 3-mode light.
It has its flaws but still offers a lot of features and innovation.

BUT then some of the online discount suppliers started shipping the 5-mode and 6-mode lights that are not quite the same. You could not be sure what you would be getting.
This meant a lot of people ordered and got a light that was a little less than what was hyped.

I like mine, managed to get a nice Lo-med-Hi setup after a while playing with the timing of the programming modes.
But yeah, it takes 2nd seat to some other new lights but sometimes it might find a place in my pocket on days I spot it while dressing.

dspencer

Newly Enlightened
I bought one last March and was quite impressed. I don't buy many lights and some of the others I bought from DX were not as good as I expected.
Programming went easy and I just made it low/med/high for daily use. I carried it around with me every day but while working on a friends car it disappeared. I searched through all my tools but did not find it.

After several months I ended up buying 3 new ones. One for me, the wife and the daughter......older daughter was given several other lights.
Well after several months with the new lights I found my old one in the truck under the seat. Still working and the Li Ion(14500) battery still had a decent charge.

I have had these 4 for more than a year. My wife carries one in her purse. Daughter carries it occasionally to work and always when we go fishing. I carry mine every day and use it several times a week. They have never let me down.

For a little light they are great. I have no comparison to any of the others than the MM's and an L-mini (which broke) but they fit me just fine. Cheap like me.