Tactical Light Tactics

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
I can't carry a gun in public. Almost everytime I see a tactical light like the streamlight series and surefire series I see them coupled with a gun. What do I do if I happen to be walking downtown one night, and I am confronted by some bum that wants to hurt me. Do I shine the light in his eyes and run? Do I shine the light in his eyes and attack him? Do I shine the light in his eyes and use my trusty knife? What do you do with a tactical light if you don't carry a gun with it? Does blinding them give you enough time to run away? Does it incapacitate them to the point that they can't run after you?

The owner of a local gun shop describes the use of a tactical light as being:

*shine the light at subject* "Who's there?!" *Click* *Shot Fired* "Yep, and that's how you use this light" he says as he admires his M2. I wanted to ask him, "So what do I do if I don't have a gun with me?"

Does anybody have any information or experience in this subject. I hope that I will never have to use the light in that situation but, should it ever happened I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
coolguy-

All of your suggestions are good tactics. The one you use, depends of you and the particular situation you find yourself in. I don't think it's possible to give you specific advice over a discussion board like this. What your talking about is direct one to one training and lots of practice. Ask the gunshop owner if he can direct you to someone who trains people in defensive tactics.

GregR

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks GregR and BrightNorm. The reason I asked about this was because I recently started a job downtown, and I have classes in the evening. I've been warned time and time again to get out of downtown before the sun sets... This week is the first week I will walking around downtown at night.

bmaresh

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure where you live, but sinse you can't or don't carry I gun, I suggest picking up a small pepper spray dispenser(if legal in your area).

My tactic would then be:

a: blind attacker with light (using your off hand) this will cause him to be stunned and mostly supprised, force him to close or shield his eyes and give you a little extra time to react.

b: spray him heavaly about the chest and face with peper spray (with strong hand) (empty the container unless there are more than one attackers)

c: run, (or at least back away to a safe distanse)

d: drop pepper spray and deploy your knife (don't use it but make it handy just in case)

e: call the police. keep in mind that when the police arive you do not want to be standing around with an open knife, you might get mistaken for the attacker.

also, keep alert, many attackers who intend to mug you work in pairs, make a mental note of the attackers build, clothing etc. so that if he gets away you can give a discription to the police.

above all stay calm, keep alert and don't panic.

PS: I suggest using pepper spray because it is non lethal, doesn't do any permanent damage, and won't make you look bad later in court (if it comes to that). You can get in a lot of legal trouble if you shoot or stab an unarmed attacker. In many cases you can get into leagal trouble if you use lethal force without first attempting to flee.

Brandon

Blikbok

Enlightened
Don't forget the best use of the light is to make yourself appear alert and attentive, and to discourge anyone thinking you are an easy mark.

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
Light in the eyes then peperspray and run like hell seems like reasonable advice. However, a flashlight is only a simple tool that may only work for a second in a specific set of circumstances. I really doubt it's going to slow them down much. Maybe in complete darkness, but then you're vision will be messed up too. It seems the primary use for a flashlight is identification of whoever is approaching you and being a tiny chance of a deterant.

Regarding batons, in some some states in the US it's not that difficult to get a CCW license, but I don't know of many places you're allowed to carry a baton regardless of how many classes you take or permits you purchase unless you are a LEO. Besides, impact weapons such as batons and knives in a self-defense situation are your last recourse. You don't want to be in contact with a bad guy if can avoid it. Running away in conjuction with pepperspray (if you can't run away outright), taser, firearms are the average persons best bet, at least in the US. In other countries and in some of the states it seems that unless you can run away, you're just supposed to sit there and take whatever your assailint dishes out you.

I always carry a knife, but it's more of an everyday tool and only an absolute last ditch resort if I have no other choice in an attack.

bmaresh

Newly Enlightened
It's my understanding that most civilians cannot own or carry baton's. They fall somewhere under the laws that say it's illegal to carry a "club like device" as a weapon.

My Dad is a LEO, he can carry a gun off duty, caries a baton at work, but cannot cary a baton off duty.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Many jusidictions see the baton as a single-purpose device, like "martial arts weapons", and carrying one is always "with intent to cause harm" because they percieve it to have no other legitimate use.

I don't know of any places in the US where they are illegal to own, but more than a few of the larger urban centers ban the "carry" in the car or on the person of many, many, manual weapons.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a lawyer, so confirm this with a lawyer, but in NC the published penal code on the NC website states that a baton cannot be carried "concealed" on your person. There is no law published on the website that prohibits unconcealed carry. This means that it should be able to be carried unconcealed in a holster exposed on the belt or in the hand. I asked a LEO at a gun show and he confirmed that this is correct.

I've seen lots of joggers carrying improvised batons e.g. small novelty-type baseball bats, large sticks, broomhandles, 9-irons, etc.

Laws vary from state to state. Some states don't allow the carry or even posession of a baton at all... Or anything else that could "potentially" be used as a weapon for that matter. Guess you're supposed to glare menacingly at your attacker... yea, that should do it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Fox brand pepperspray tends to be a good way to go.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alot of states that allow a weapons of some sort to be carried in the open but not concealed. However, open carrying of a weapon may leave you subject to a disturbing the peace charge.

GregR

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure am glad I live where I do. Laws differ from syte to state and sometimes by county or city. You need to find out your local laws and see what you can do. Usually though using a gun or knife outside of a life threatening situation will get you in trouble. Remember intent and ability. What is the aggressor's intent? Did they make it known? Does he have the means to carry out this intent?

It has been proven that one need not weapons to cause death. Being outnumbered or a notable size/weight difference can be considered means to harm.