New member / First official mod

anickode

Newly Enlightened
Greetings! I've been poking around the forum for the better part of 2 years now... And finally got around to doing my first "official" documented flashlight mod.

I couldn't resist building something out of the new MR16 LED bulbs that Lowe's carries. 300 lumens for 20 bucks was just too good to resist.

I built a 2 pin adapter using the base from a regular flashlight bulb, some wire, some epoxy, and a few other little bits. The bulb is designed to operate on 12v track lighting systems, but I took it apart and it has its own voltage regulator. I tested it at 18 volt input for an hour and it had no issues with overheating. So I built an adapter to replace the 3 D batteries with 12 AA batteries, popped the bulb in there, and let 'er rip. The results (right) are shown here compared to a 60 watt halogen spot light bulb (left). It's definitely not a huge thrower, but it makes a GREAT area illumination light. My fiance loves it for walking the dog at night. It's a good blend of angle and throw for general use.

S6309630.jpg

The Modded Mag3D

S6309633.jpg

The competition

S6309632.jpg

circa

Newly Enlightened
I'm leery of those mr11/16 led bulbs.... But that looks pretty nice in there, looks crazy!

anickode

Newly Enlightened
I'm leery of those mr11/16 led bulbs.... But that looks pretty nice in there, looks crazy!

Yeah, I wasn't really sure what to make of them either... but they're advertised at 300 lumens with a 35,000 hour life, so I figured for 20 bucks, might as well try it out and see what happens. :D