Help in building my PC

tygger

Enlightened
i'm putting together a high-end system (10,000rpm SATA hard drives, ATI radeon 9800, etc). i'm thinking of ordering a lot of stuff from Directron.com. anyone had any experience with them? or can you recommend a better dealer where i can get most of my main components for a good price? i'm trying to do most of my shopping at one place for the sake of convenience so i know i won't get the best deals on everything. but considering the amount i'll save in putting it together myself it will still be a steal. thanks in advance for any recommendations.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an Asus P4PE, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM and a Seasonic 300W PS from Directron. It works fine and I'd do it again.

I wanted to get a SATA disk but there wasn't much available last December.

I guess the 10,000 rmp drive will require good air flow or a heat sink to keep it cool.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a good price on a Samsumg 172t FPM from Newegg. While I was ordering, I got a NEC CD drive for $37. Best CD burner I ever had.

LukeK

Enlightened
Tygger -- good luck with your building process. Directron.com is a great store -- I live less than 20 miles away from their headquarters and I've ordered from them many a time. Everything you need you can find at either Directron.com or Newegg.com. Both outfits are very reliable.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used googlegear.com before with good success. A word of caution on the 10k rpm SATA drives. From what I've read about them, they are quite noisy as they wind up like a jet airplane.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
newegg is my fav vender

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. Their prices are very competitive and they have really good deals on shipping.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to get everything, all at once. If that were a requirement, I would not have a computer. As all who build systems know, high price doesn't mean much if the hardware item is flakey (unreliable). Unfortunately, that is something we find out the hard way, every time.

I hope you luck out and get all reliable parts, the first try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't ordered from directron. But I have bought from these guys many times:

www.tccomputers.com
www.aberdeeninc.com
www.plycon.com
www.memman.com

All were a pleasure to deal with. But it has been over 2 years since I last ordered.

I've lost the website. There was one that was like a clearinghouse. You would pick something like 'heatsink for P4' and it would show all the online dealer prices and customer ratings. I'll have to check my bookmarks again.

tygger

Enlightened
thanks for all the replys. sounds like directron.com is a good way to go for most of my stuff. for the CPU i'm gonna use a CPU cooler and the case i'm getting has about 5 fans with a 480watt power supply. you can never be too cool. to be honest i'm building this to be a gaming monster. kind of a longtime dream. i only wish i could add wheels so i could drive it around like a hotrod.

LukeK

Enlightened
5 case fans, a CPU cooler and a PSU Fan? Those better be quiet fans or you will have a non-stop blowdryer/jet engine combo. My case came with 5 fans but they are all extremely quiet, so I kept them all running. 5 is really overkill and you will find that there is a happy medium between noise and cooling.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Panaflo L1A fans are very quiet. If you're gonna have that many fans, I highly recommend them!

Also, take a look at silentpcreview.com for good info about keeping your rig quiet. These guys are the best! I've hung around there since the site was opened. It's my co-favorite forum, actually, along with, er, a certain flashlight place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered some random stuff from Directron. A case, power supplies, fans, etc. No problems. I'd order from them again.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had problems (and heard of others with problems) from Aberdeen. It was a long time ago tho.

I've ordered from cdw.com, megahaus.com, memoryx.com, motherboardx.com w/o problems.

-john