Barbolight U9 with SST-50 driven at 5A by H6CC

wquiles

Flashaholic
This is the second Barbolight U9 that I do for the same customer. The first one I finished about 10 months ago:Barbolight U9 with Warm White MC-E and HipCC

But for this one the owner wanted something more, something unique, and he suggested the SST-50. I suggested using the whole body (3x cells) for decent runtimes with the SST-50, but problem was the H6CC driver from George (www.taskled.com) was not yet available (Nov 2009), so this project was on hold for many months waiting on an efficient driver solution that could handle 3x LiIon cells. Once the driver was available, then another challenge was found: there is no way to fit the H6CC in the U9 host - too big for the body, and no room in the head. I suggested making a completely new, larger head from scratch, the owner agreed. But the head needed to have a couple of critical dimensions, so I decided to do the head design in a 3D package. So I bought Alibre Expert software and did the head design in the computer. Once I was happy with the design, I then started making the new head. I told the owner that I have a new Powder Coating system, and he said he would like his new light in Orange, so after many weeks of practicing/learning how to powder coat, I was able to get this light coated properly.

All in all I have been working on this second light for about 11 months, but it is now finished - I hope the owner will be happy with the result :D

Here is how the light looked like when I got it last year:
DSCF1325.JPG

DSCF1326.JPG

So I started disassembly:
DSCF1327.JPG

DSCF1335.JPG

DSCF1336.JPG

DSCF1337.JPG

Heating the factory epoxy to remove the head:
DSCF1339.JPG

DSCF1340.JPG

Barbolight uses a proven method for water-proofing the front lens, but it is one of high precision on the o-rings, lens OD, and o-ring groove. Since I have never done this before, I first practiced with a piece of scrap. First got the ID to be a sliding fit with the lens (I also have a spare lens to play with):
DSCF2498.JPG

DSCF2499.JPG

DSCF1474.JPG

DSCF1475.JPG

and then cut the o-ring grooves (I did two sets of them):
DSCF1479.JPG

DSCF1481.JPG

DSCF1476.JPG

I tested the o-ring and lens (original head to the right side). It works really well:
DSCF1477.JPG

DSCF1478.JPG

I then played with an SST-50 mounted on a Mag D heatsink with various reflectors. In the end I selected a shallow reflector that worked well, which is the same one I used for the warm MC-E conversion earlier:
DSCF1877.JPG

DSCF1880.JPG

Size comparison of the original host, the original 3x NiMH pack, the will-always-be-missed "C" AW LiIon cells, and the newer but-larger-than-a-true-C-cell IMR:
DSCF2494.JPG

With the tailcap fully inserted, and the spring fully rested, this is how things look like. I did several measurements on the cells, which allowed me keep the original tailcap spring since it meant that I could use either the longer Black/IMR cells since the spring will take up the difference :D
DSCF2496.JPG

So the big day arrived when I got the new Al piece for the new head:
DSCF2956.JPG

DSCF2957.JPG

I cut it a tad longer than needed:
DSCF2958.JPG

DSCF2959.JPG

Here is the raw piece next to the original head:
DSCF2961.JPG

Here is the piece next to the CAD drawing:
DSCF3079.JPG

And I started work on the head:
DSCF3134.JPG

DSCF3225.JPG

DSCF3226.JPG

Test ID with lens:
DSCF3227.JPG

Cut o-ring grooves:
DSCF3229.JPG

Work on the other side, to get ready to thread:
DSCF3230.JPG

DSCF3233.JPG

DSCF3234.JPG

Test new metric threads:
DSCF3235.JPG

DSCF3236.JPG

Measure angle on original head - try to duplicate as much as possible:
DSCF3237.JPG

DSCF3238.JPG

and use original head to verify the setup is fairly accurate:
DSCF3242.JPG

DSCF3243.JPG

DSCF3244.JPG

and finally make the cut (actually, many passes!):
DSCF3245.JPG

Close enough in my book:
DSCF3247.JPG

Round/smooth edges:
DSCF3248.JPG

Not too bad:
DSCF3249.JPG

The head here is still longer than it will be in the end, but here it is resting next to some of my original paper design/ideas and then the CAD drawing:
DSCF3252.JPG

DSCF3250.JPG

DSCF3251.JPG

DSCF3253.JPG

DSCF3254.JPG

Since this build is modular and it will involve a couple of thermal transfer areas, I decided to use a copper core for the SST-50:
DSCF3255.JPG

DSCF3256.JPG

DSCF3257.JPG

DSCF3258.JPG

To maximize thermal transfer the piece was lightly sanded, corners smoothed out, etc.:
DSCF3259.JPG

DSCF3261.JPG

I then started to work on the heatsink/driver "module":
DSCF3269.JPG

DSCF3270.JPG

DSCF3274.JPG

DSCF3275.JPG

DSCF3276.JPG

DSCF3277.JPG

The copper core will be press fit with "thin" thermal paste and keep in place by a hidden set screw:
DSCF3280.JPG

DSCF3282.JPG

DSCF3283.JPG

Again, for best thermal transfer, I decided to flow solder the SST-50 to the copper piece, so I made a small "post" so that I can then solder the wires from the sides:
DSCF3341.JPG

DSCF3342.JPG

DSCF3343.JPG

DSCF3344.JPG

I then worked on the other side of the module to make room for the H6CC current driver (set conservatively to 5Amps):
DSCF3345.JPG

DSCF3346.JPG

DSCF3347.JPG

DSCF3348.JPG

Reflow LED:
DSCF3354.JPG

DSCF3355.JPG

and test it to make sure I did not kill it:
DSCF3356.JPG

Solder wires (very hard to solder wires "blind" from the underside!) and then test it at rated current (5A, but do to the long Power Supply wires the voltage was of course higher than the actual vf):
DSCF3357.JPG

DSCF3359.JPG

DSCF3362.JPG

To provide mechanical strength to the solder wires, and so seal the cavity I used 2-part epoxy (even mixed glow in the dark powder for fun, although it is hard to see behind the reflector!):
DSCF3364.JPG

To make 100% of the solid electrical contact for the negative battery, I am using a screw through the head, through the lip of the body - no chance for anything intermittent in a diving light!:
DSCF3365.JPG

DSCF3366.JPG

DSCF3367.JPG

I then milled a relief area for the screw head:
DSCF3368.JPG

I am also using a screw to keep the LED/driver module firmly in place:
DSCF3369.JPG

DSCF3370.JPG

DSCF3371.JPG

Since it is a slight press fit, I drilled two small holes so that I could use thin nose pliers to align the module with the screw hole:
DSCF3373.JPG

DSCF3374.JPG

DSCF3375.JPG

Since I have to trim the length of the head and since the head is too smooth and slippery, I cut some shallow grooves:
DSCF3377.JPG

DSCF3378.JPG

Here is now the finished head, next to the original one. The extra length is for the driver/module/wires/etc.. Is is also much stronger (although heavier) than the original head:
DSCF3379.JPG

DSCF3594.JPG

I then did a light boring to fit the "fatty" IRM C cells:
DSCF3599.JPG

DSCF3600.JPG

To prepare for powder coating, I bought some silicon plugs (these stand 500+ F, far lower than the 400F needed for the coating to take in the oven):
DSCF3601.JPG

Unfortunately for the shinny finish, I had to sandblast the surface to aid in the adhesion of the powder coating:
DSCF3602.JPG

DSCF3603.JPG

I am using a copper wire through the center to ensure good electrical contact (critical for powder coating):
DSCF3627.JPG

DSCF3628.JPG

So after getting parts cleaned and pre-heated (to evaporate any residue):
DSCF3876.JPG

I then coated them:
DSCF3886.JPG

DSCF3887.JPG

DSCF3888.JPG

I then re-assembled the tailcap:
DSCF3891.JPG

DSCF3892.JPG

DSCF3894.JPG

DSCF3895.JPG

DSCF3896.JPG

DSCF3897.JPG

To give you an idea of scale/size:
DSCF3899.JPG

With the IMR cells, this is how little the spring has to be compressed:
DSCF3900.JPG

DSCF3901.JPG

Here I am assembling the copper core to the heatsink module. The fit was so good, that even after applying this thin liquid, it became a press fit:
DSCF3902.JPG

DSCF3903.JPG

DSCF3904.JPG

DSCF3905.JPG

DSCF3906.JPG

I then soldered and setup the H6CC to the other side of the module:
DSCF3907.JPG

DSCF3908.JPG

DSCF3910.JPG

DSCF3911.JPG

I then tested everything again:
DSCF3912.JPG

DSCF3913.JPG

I then applied a little epoxy to make sure things stay put:
DSCF3914.JPG

DSCF3915.JPG

This is the center conductor to the Bat +:
DSCF3916.JPG

DSCF3917.JPG

And this is how the module connects to the Bat - and Bat +:
DSCF3919.JPG

DSCF3918.JPG

I did a test fit and test for operation:
DSCF3920.JPG

DSCF3922.JPG

And then, with the head not fully screwed in, another test using real IMR cells:
DSCF3923.JPG

DSCF3924.JPG

I guess it is a coincidence that the all parts, including the cells are orange!:
DSCF3930.JPG

I now have to make a custom fitted ring to hold the reflector in place:
DSCF3931.JPG

DSCF3932.JPG

DSCF3933.JPG

DSCF3934.JPG

DSCF3935.JPG

DSCF3936.JPG

DSCF3937.JPG

DSCF3938.JPG

DSCF3939.JPG

I then sanded it for a light sliding fit in the head:
DSCF3940.JPG

Once I was happy with the fit, I epoxied the centering ring to the reflector:
DSCF3941.JPG

A coat of Krapton tape to make sure I can't have any shorts with the LED:
DSCF3942.JPG

Here I am doing the final assembly (blue stuff is Loctite):
DSCF3945.JPG

Seal the head to the battery tube (had to access sealant from side as top was dry!):
DSCF3948.JPG

Lightly coat module with thermal paste:
DSCF3950.JPG

and seat in place (here I am not done cleaning the interior - not that anyone will see this part anyway, but that is the way I am!):
DSCF3951.JPG

and finally test the beam (unfortunately during bright daylight (see garage door open on left!):
DSCF3952.JPG

I then took the reflector out, coated the edge with epoxy and glow in the dark powder:
DSCF3954.JPG

DSCF3955.JPG

DSCF3957.JPG

In this photo you can see a "little" bit of the glow around the LED as well:
DSCF3958.JPG

This o-ring on top of the reflector (once you install the lens) keeps the reflector in place and with zero rattles:
DSCF3959.JPG

Here is the finished light:
DSCF3963.JPG

Next to the warm MC-E version I did for the same owner back in January of this year:
DSCF3964.JPG

I will post some beamshots tonight when it gets dark again :D

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: Barbolight U9 with SST-50 driven at 5A by H5CC

Control:
DSCF3986.JPG

SST-50 at 5A:
DSCF3987.JPG

Warm MC-E @ 2.8A:
DSCF3988.JPG

Control:
DSCF3990.JPG

SST-50 at 5A:
DSCF3991.JPG

Warm MC-E @ 2.8A:
DSCF3992.JPG

Control:
DSCF3998.JPG

SST-50 at 5A:
DSCF3999.JPG

Warm MC-E @ 2.8A:
DSCF4001.JPG

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
Nice work Will, that really shows how in depth these builds are for people who don't know. And to think that probably doesn't even contain all the steps :eek:

black_ice_pc

Newly Enlightened
That's an amazing job! I loved looking through this build. I'm sure the owner will be more than pleased with your bulletproof work.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Absolutely beautiful. :bow::bow::bow:

I always like to read your detailed step by step procedures. I can almost imagine I'm there while you're doing it.:)

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, as always, totally *n*l retentive execution and attention to detail that I expect to see from you :)

Ever since I shipped you the h6cc I've been waiting to see what you were going to use it in, now I know. I'd hate to imagine how many hours went into this project!

cheers,
george.

Walterk

Enlightened
Thanks for the informative build-report ! Very interesting, great work and nice light.

Edit: Fantastic beamshots ! You might be even better with camera then with lathe ;)

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice / amazing work and build. :twothumbs

A couple of comments / questions:
- It looks like the new beam has simialar throw, but more flood, or is that just my eyes ? (edit - never mind, I see it is higher lux on the bricks)

- That is an interesting drill bit.

- Are you really able to build these in one attempt, or are you like me that it takes a few times ? :D

HarryN

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Nice / amazing work and build. :twothumbs

A couple of comments / questions:
- It looks like the new beam has simialar throw, but more flood, or is that just my eyes ? (edit - never mind, I see it is higher lux on the bricks)

- That is an interesting drill bit.

- Are you really able to build these in one attempt, or are you like me that it takes a few times ? :D

HarryN

Thanks Harry :eek:

- Using the same reflector, so the beam and throw is "similar", but yes, the SST-50 has a significantly brigther output.

- That is an Allied Spade Drill that I got for this job, capable of drilling holes from 31/32" up to 1-3/8" (up to 4 3/4" deep), with a built-in MT3 arbor so it goes right on the tailstock of my lathe. And let me tell you, prior to this I have never used a more solid/stiff drill than this one. It went through the Al like it was not there, with zero deflection/chatter - I now "need" to buy more of them in other sizes :devil:

- If by one attempt you mean making only one of each piece, yes, I build these in one attempt. But it is a mental iterative process for me, so at least on paper it ALWAYS takes me several tries before I come up with something I feel will work and (more importantly) that it is within my tools and capabilities.

I treat these projects like a puzzle that I first solve in my head. I know in my head how I want the end product to look, so I picture in my head the various parts, and operations, and then I copy these ideas on a piece of paper. I then review what I wrote, and modify/adjust the idea until it sounds "right", based on what I think it is possible with the mill/lathe/hand tools/etc..

If something does not sound right, I walk away and think more about it. It might be hours or days before I go back and take another look. Most of the time, I have a new idea, and the design gets better, flows better. Since I write these down I can compare ideas and pick what works best for each step. Once a step is settled, I go on to the next challenge. I don't start metal cutting until I am about 90-95% confident that I have a good "solution", even though some small details are yet to be fully worked on - those get adjusted on the fly. And even then, as I am cutting/making parts/fitting parts, I adjust the idea/design slightly to make things work well.

It helps immensely to have good, accurate tools, and to have the DRO on the lathe - invaluable. It helps a lot that most all parts are fitted, so once I finish fitting one part, that part I don't have to touch/do again - I then fit other parts to it, and so on. Still, I was scared the whole time about the new head - that was a LOT of machining, and I had to get the threads done right, and the o-ring groves had to be fairly spot-on!. If I really mess up, I would have to start over from scratch - that is why I did the head on 3D CAD, to make sure I had enough metal in the right places. Still, just in case the brown stuff were to hit the fan, I did buy a larger piece of Al so I would not have to wait for a new piece to start over :crackup:

Will

Last edited: