Oveready Run Time and Heat Test

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't mean for this to turn into a review, but after the impressive results I have to share the information about this outstanding light. As you can see in the photo below, I have an Oveready 6P Cerakoted in Safety Orange, UCL Lens, Black Steel Bezel Ring and Hard Press McClicky Switch. Shame on me, but I went the cheap route and purchased a Solarforce 18650 extender HERE. Not pretty, but it works great. Here are the parts:
IMG_3907.JPG

And of course, the neutral 1 level Triple XPG from Oveready:
P1020651.JPG

Next up are a couple of AW 2900 mAh 18650 batteries:
IMG_3903.JPG

Batteries dropped in:
IMG_3908.JPG

And ready to go
IMG_3909.JPG

I did this test outside so A) any flames might not spread:devil: and B) so that the heat readings would be realistic for outside use this time of year. I let the head extend over the edge of the iron table - then the body was on the table - sorta like a "heat sink", or a human hand, you know? Not exactly scientific, but fairly real world. Oh, BTW, it is 60 degrees on my patio here in Northern Virginia as I conduct this 'test.'

Then I got my trusty Extech Mini IR Thermometer. My thought was to measure the emitter array, the head, 1 inch behind the head, and 2 inches behind the head. I checked the fully charged batteries before I started and they read 4.23 V. The light, in my less than famous home made IS read 750 lumen with fresh batteries. I'll let the photos and the chart tell the rest of the story, but the results are clear - this is ONE AWESOME LIGHT PACKAGE! I was afraid the thing would melt down, or the batteries would go :poof:, but neither happened. I ran it for an hour, and the temps are shown, then chickened out. But to summarize the results, I do believe that this light would run for 1 hour and 50 minutes before hitting 3.2V (I won't go below that level on my batteries), and it leveled out at a very bright 671 lumen in my sphere. Stayed there for most of the test.

Cooled down quickly once I shut everything down. Just awesome, awesome performance for a reasonable price. So let the photos and chart do the talking:

Here's a couple of beam shots showing the light and a comparison with a Mac's EDC:
IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

And no uber light, but no slouch either, a Haiku XPG
IMG_3896.JPG

And now random photos:
IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3905.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

And the chart - again, this isn't meant to be scientific, it was done for personal reasons. Now I have NO doubt that I can take this light out in the morning, two days in a row, for a 30 minute walk in the dark with my 2 dogs, and not worry that A) the batteries will run out or, B) the light will 'melt down.' Awesome job, Oveready!
heat%20readings%20oveready-1.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
Dan- :thumbsup: You're the best!!! Thanks for trying to melt one in the interest of science!!!! :bow: The charts and numbers are amazing, so little dropoff over time, and it looks like after initial buildup, the heat isn't an issue... You're braver than I am, thank you!!!

SFfanman

Enlightened
Very interesting setup. Looks like that beast can withstand temps and time duration. Also shocked to see the light bouncing off the tree in the distance when the Overready is in full force! Definitely a powerhouse. Is there anything even brighter and comparable in size? Possibly the Tri-V w/ asepheric? :sssh:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the time-consuming testing, run4jc. Your measurements are certainly spectacular, confirming what excellent drop-ins Oveready offer. :thumbsup:

Not longer ago, this seemed impossible.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan, that's highly interesting, thanks for the measures? :thumbsup:

So, to cut it short, if I read right, the head reaches 132 Fahrenheit max, which is about 55,50 Celsius?

I did an unvoluntary survival test with my neutral white Triple already. Due to a rubber boot where I didn't cut the nipple inside flat, teh light went on by itself, standing on its head in the showcase (on wood). It was loaded with 2 x IMR 18500 (fully charged), I saw what happened only the day after when I stood by the showcase and saw a brief blink... :eek:

The lens was foggy, some small dripples on teh inside, I had to take it out (the host was an orange 9P Cerakote) and clean it. The Triple looked like new and still performs that way. Obviously, I don't know whether the thermal protection was triggered or not. I didn't make a long-run test with the Triple yet, but in normal use it acts like it should.

Conclusion : Great rugged stuff those Triples! I was shocked though, I could have set teh house on fire I guess... Either youse a hardpress with these or lock teh tailcap out. The new ring in teh tailcap may help to prevent it. I point out once more that it was purely my fault, the boot was not from Oveready and I cut and installed it myself. :whistle:

Barbarian

Enlightened
As always Dan, your review is outstanding and informative. lovecpf

The minimal drop of output and the long run time makes that Triple XP-G very impressive to say the least.

tandem

Enlightened
I'm looking at the emitter temps and wondering if anyone has concerns or real life experience using the Triple on max out in the rain (or snow). Any concerns about cold water striking the lens causing breakage?

Not seriously: Can I boil some tea water on a tail standing triple? :)

Thanks for the temperature testing Dan, I'm glad to know I can run one of these for extended periods on max or lower without undue concern.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all youve done here at CPF! Im so jealous of all your awesome toys! I mean tools :thumbsup:

afraidofdark

Enlightened
As you can see in the photo below, I have an Oveready 6P Cerakoted in Safety Orange, UCL Lens, Black Steel Bezel Ring and Hard Press McClicky Switch. Shame on me, but I went the cheap route and purchased a Solarforce 18650 extender HERE. Not pretty, but it works great.

I think the safety orange 6P with the black bezel ring, extender and boot looks in fact quite rad :drool:

Thanks for excellent report!

scout24

Flashaholic
Dan- Walking the dogs in the dark, only you would notice the pretty factor!!! :nana: I don't think anyone driving by would say "Hey, look at that mis-matched flamethrower!" Besides, looks good with the black bezel ring... :)