best for home protection

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what do you think is best to protect ya home?to me its a dog i mean a dog will alert ya.its amazeing how there senses are supier to humans.and dogs are so loyal if they even think there master is in danger they react. well whats in ya opion the best home protection

raggie33

*the raggedier*
nice gun.i have a few guns but guns are great but when ya sleeping they wont wake ya. maybe a dog and owning a gun is the best

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dogs will let us know when someone is around.....four legged or two legged. The plan is....if there's a problem, my wife will dial 911 and I will get the shotgun and we will stay put in our bedroom. None of this go and investigate things, stay put in a defensible position until hopefully help arrives. As long as we are safe, intruders can do what they want to the house and it's contents. It's all insured and not worth risking our lives over. However, once the intruders pass through the bedroom door where we are...they become fair game.
A Winchester 1300 Defender loaded with 00 Buck 3 inch magnum loads will be the welcome wagon.
mike

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
sawed off pistol grip pump shotgun.
just chambering a round will repel most intruders unless deaf.might have some unpleasant deposits to clean up though.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Colt Commander (M1991A) with a Leupold Laser loaded with 45 cal 230 gr JHP. Bullet within plus or minus 3" of red dot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

robk

Enlightened
I keep a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, 18.5" barrel, pistol grip, pump with 6 shells in the tube and one in the chamber (and 6 more mounted on a plastic holder screwed to the body). First shell is pheasant shot to warn an intruder (on the advice of a cop friend of mine). The other 6 are 000 buck, to do a little damage. I live on a river with lots of floor to ceiling windows, so I hope I never have to use it! Those double pane insulated, half silvered windows are expensive.
Rob

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
robk said:
First shell is pheasant shot to warn an intruder (on the advice of a cop friend of mine)

[/ QUOTE ]

The only warning anybody is going to get in my house is the sound of a round being chambered!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif
that sound is scary enough to make a grown man wet his pants when he knows one is pointed right at him.

As a side note, don't you hate it in the movies when the badguy has a gun pointed at someone's head and as a threat, pulls the gun away to chamber a round and says something like "I'm not going to ask a second time". What, the hero didn't think the badguy was serious the first time when the gun was at his head--and what a great time to jump the badguy. Whether he is doing this to intimidate or he was so stupid as to not carry a round in the chamber just blows my mind....the crap they come up with in Hollywood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

-Jason

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I don't publish my defense. (Hint: It may involve the silent pit-bull and the decoy barking Golden, it may involve the wife with the Mossburg, or me with the Glock, heck, at times its involved the resident pet python ("Is he 11 feet, or only five? You know in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself, so you got to ask yourself one question, do you feel something wrapping around your leg? Well do yo... hey, where you going?!?!" )

Anyone dropping by the house is welcome to the tour, its a bit less exciting in the day time...

robk

Enlightened
I've been told that you have a much easier time with the cops if you're loaded with birdshot - and they find the ejected shell. Your "intent" was to "warn or scare" the intruder, rather than blow him apart. So, I keep that shell in the chamber, it only takes a few seconds to fire it and pump to the real ammo. I may never have to use that second or third shell, even birdshot in the dark is quite intimidating! After the noise and the flash, I would imagine they would stand there wondering if they were bleeding to death, and I think it would hurt like hell too.
Rob

Rob

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
My feeling is this and I'm no lawyer. If I first call 911 (if possible) and my wife and I hole up in the bedroom. Let the intruders do what they want without going after them. If they start to come into the bed room after a verbal warning to stay out or get shot...all caught on 911 tape I may fair well in court. We live in a rural community where guns are not frowned upon like other communties.

In any case, shooting another human being is serious business both legally and emotionally.....justified or not. But I would rather go to prison for life than to let anything happen to my family. Hopefully, it will never, ever, come to any of us having to make that choice.

mike

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
robk said:
it only takes a few seconds to fire it and pump to the real ammo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hold the trigger and pump away, you've just created a rapid fire beast and you don't even have to aim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (least with mine you can)

I don't know what would be worse at close range, birdshot or buckshot.
Hell, I'll laugh at someone from 50 yards away if I know they've only got birdshot pointed at me...but I'll swear like hell when I get hit.

The only nice thing about Texas is that no cop would dare hassle the man who just shot someone in his own home. Down here, I think they only have to be within yelling distance of your house before you're allowed to open fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason

robk

Enlightened
You know, I never tried holding the trigger and pumping that gun. I'm in Florida and it's hard to find a place to fire that shotgun. Can't do it at the local firing range (no shooting from the hip, and slugs only), can't fire it on any county property (don't ask me how I know). I have to go out to a friend's property where there is no one around. One time I shot a 7 foot long Diamondback Rattler in my backyard - the neighbors were appreciative, but the sherriff came and gave me a hard time. At the time my son was about 7 and played in the backyard, and I always had outdoor pets. I thought I did the right thing, but the lawman felt differently!
Rob

robk

Enlightened
Off topic: The last Rattler I shot was last month, on my dock. I have so many windows now at this house, I didn't use a shotgun. The dock is concrete, and I was concerned about the pellets ricocheting and hitting the windows (or me!) so I used a .22 rifle with those little birdshot shells - did a fine job!
Rob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love the way a nice .45 shoots. powerful, but controllable. the 1911's feel nice in the hand.

how about that winchester defender? i have been considering a shotgun for a while now, and the winchester is pretty inexpensive. how does it stack up against a mossberg?

Bob

robk

Enlightened
You have to aim a .45. With 000 Buck in a shotgun with a short barrel, you just point it in the direction of where you think the intruder is, and "blammo". If I remember, it's 8 pellets, each approximately 38 caliber, how could you miss?
Rob

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used the Mossberg so I can't comment on a side by side comparison. I like the 1300, has an 18 inch barrel, holds eight +1 (subtract 1 for 3 inch shells) of anything with a wood full stock. I like it, no non-sense and operates smoothly. I got mine at Walmart for $170.00 or thereabouts. I really like mine.

Though I read in Gun Tests Magazine the Mossberg 500 is also a good setup.
mike

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The scarey part of a 45ACP with a laser, is that you DON'T aim it! All you have to do is point the little red dot and pull the trigger....bullet plus or minus 3" of the red dot!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still say a dog is the best!I mean a dog loves ya they dont want ya hurt