Self-parking Toyota Prius hybrid car

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Car That Can Park Itself Put on Sale by Toyota

"TOKYO (Reuters) - A car that can park itself without the driver having to touch the steering wheel, said by maker Toyota Motor Corp. to be a world first, went on sale in Japan on Monday.

Toyota's new hybrid gasoline-electric Prius sedan uses electrically operated power steering and sensors that help guide the car when reversing into parking spaces...."

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe if I didn't have to be in the car, but from the demo I saw on TV it was very, very slow to park.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
I like the no key feature of this new Prius (dunno if this feature came on the previous version). Instead of a key that you stick into the ignition, it comes with a transmitter. To start the engine, the transmitter just needs to be on the driver and just press the start button and voila...

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
If all cars were equipped with this type of brains, you could drive up to a shopping mall entrance and after you exit, the car would drive itself to a parking area. 10 minutes before you leave, you could press a button on your key chain and the car could drive itself to the closest entrance to you, warmed-up/cooled-off, ready for you to jump in and drive off.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:
There's not much need for parallel parking any more. Most parking is in lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can tell YOU don't live in NYC

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:
KC2IXE,

I thought everyone in NYC took cabs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Once in the last 2 years. In Manhattan, everyone takes the subway, but in the "outer boroughs", we drive a bit, but parking can still be tight, particularly if you drive a pickup

Darell

Flashaholic
It should be pointed out that to the best of my knowledge, this feature is not available on the US-bound Prius's. At least that was the last word I heard.

I also need to point out that I parallel park about 20 times for each single time I park in a lot. Just drive to San Francisco sometime.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had to parrallel park many times, especially when I lived in and near Washington, DC. Even now in Bellingham, which seems like a small town to me.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
I couldn't even parallel park when I took my driving test. The lady who was testing me just told me to move on to the next stage and she gave me a passing score. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, did you guys hear the news about "The Big Three?" GM, Ford, and Toyota? Yep, Toyota is now one of "The Big Three" as Toyota just knocked Chrysler down one notch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Read about it here.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i say 10 years cars will drive them selfs.kinda sad though i like to drive

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
A car that parks itself may be good for city dwellers. I'd prefer one that changes its own oil.

Yeah, I know. Darell will say "What oil?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif