Brightest single 14500 production clicky flashlight?

recDNA

Flashaholic
As the title says I wonder what the brightest 14500 X 1 clicky flashlight is?

I don't care about regulation. I like the Quark Mini precisely because it goes into DD on a Li Ion cell and puts out a LOT of light. I believe it is over 250 lumens OTF. I'm not worried about losing output over time because the light would seldom be on for more than a minute. It would get too hot.

So my needs are:

Production flashlight not a clicky from one brand added on to a twisty of another brand or any other mod.

Single 14500 flashlight

Must have clicky

Must be XP-G R5 or R4 driven over 1.2 amps at the tailcap on 14500

Must retain some sort of lower mode (for runtime) and a very high output max mode (for short bursts - I know it will heat up very quickly).

Prefer no strobe or hidden strobe but not a deal-breaker.

Runtime not a priority.

There may very well be no such flashlight because I have searched without success but I want one if there is!

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
The lumapower trust 1 should probably be on your research list. DD on 14500 max output.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The lumapower trust 1 should probably be on your research list. DD on 14500 max output.

Great tip - sounds perfect except for the ringy beam.

Sounds like the Dereelight C2H is good competition for it too. So far I need to compare these two. I don't think the Quark AA puts out lumens like the other two in 14500?

Last edited:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi recDNA.

+1 on the trust-1, it's a great torch, and VERY bright on 14500's. For the asking price, it's an absolute bargain.

Does the Peak El Capitain XPG qualify if it has the momentary switch?
300 lumens and almost a clicky

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the point of getting the brightest 14500 light that's produced and you don't care about regulation?

The answer will be a light that's direct driven and its peak brightness won't be available for 99% of the time.
:shrug:
As the title says I wonder what the brightest 14500 X 1 clicky flashlight is?

I don't care about regulation. I like the Quark Mini precisely because it goes into DD on a Li Ion cell and puts out a LOT of light. I believe it is over 250 lumens OTF. I'm not worried about losing output over time because the light would seldom be on for more than a minute. It would get too hot.

So my needs are:

There may very well be no such flashlight because I have searched without success but I want one if there is!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the Quark AA puts out lumens like the other two in 14500?
The Quark AA regulates up to 4.2V so you get 206 lumens.
The Quark MiNi AA boosts/regulates up to 3.2V. Above that you are in DD and can reach 300 lumens.

The Fenix lights work like the Quark MiNi. Try an LD10+ R4.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
Do a search on the new crelant 1xaa light. They are claiming 228 lumens regulated from a 14500.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Do a search on the new crelant 1xaa light. They are claiming 228 lumens regulated from a 14500.

No clip and the C2H and Trust 1 both boast higher output with clips to boot. The lack of a clip is a dealbreaker. I don't remember if I even mentioned that. Duh

I wonder if anyone has tested amps at the tailcap for the Crelant? I trust that more than manufacturers' claims. If all 3 have R5's then the one with the highest amp draw should be the brightest. The Crelant is pretty though. Funny, the least attractive looking is the C2H but I'm leaning toward that one since it will take RCR123 or RCR14500 plus has a wire clip. It's just plain black though. Trouble is my dealer is out of stock.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The Quark AA regulates up to 4.2V so you get 206 lumens.
The Quark MiNi AA boosts/regulates up to 3.2V. Above that you are in DD and can reach 300 lumens.

The Fenix lights work like the Quark MiNi. Try an LD10+ R4.

Oh Fenix, that sounds interesting but is DD R4 as bright as DD R5?

I like Fenix as a rule.

The Jetbeam is interesting too but it is the biggest and most expensive.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi recDNA.

+1 on the trust-1, it's a great torch, and VERY bright on 14500's. For the asking price, it's an absolute bargain.

Does the Peak El Capitain XPG qualify if it has the momentary switch?
300 lumens and almost a clicky

No lower mode. :-(

I'm dreaming of a Peak brass 18500 with S2 and two modes and momentary or clicky with a clip.

I love exotic metals like brass or titanium but some manufacturers really stick it to you with the price increase. If 4Sevens could do Titanium under $100 then any of the high volume companies can. I don't blame custom jobbers for charging more.

Last edited:

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
One thing to remember though. The trusts numbers are emitter lumens not otf. While the crelant is claiming 228 otf regulated. So the trust is probably putting out about 250ish otf. If you are getting about the same performance most people would prefer regulated. I bet the trust is a little brighter, and it is also cheaper. The more experienced guys will probably correct me if im wrong.

recDNA

Flashaholic
One thing to remember though. The trusts numbers are emitter lumens not otf. While the crelant is claiming 228 otf regulated. So the trust is probably putting out about 250ish otf. If you are getting about the same performance most people would prefer regulated. I bet the trust is a little brighter, and it is also cheaper. The more experienced guys will probably correct me if im wrong.

I know most prefer regulation.. in max mode I prefer DD.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
Great tip - sounds perfect except for the ringy beam.
The Trust 1 doesn't have a ringy beam in actual use. If you look at a white wall from 1 foot away you'll see a bit of a ring, but from further you don't see it; just a wall of light.

recDNA

Flashaholic
What about the Jetbeam RRT-0 with the extender?

As I mentioned I really like it a lot but it is a little large for a 14500. It looks like a 2 X CR123. Also, does it come with a clip and go into DD with Li Ion? To be honest, it's a little pricey too.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The Trust 1 doesn't have a ringy beam in actual use. If you look at a white wall from 1 foot away you'll see a bit of a ring, but from further you don't see it; just a wall of light.

Frankly, an R5 in OP reflector shouldn't have any rings. None of my R5 drop ins do nor do my Quarks or Minis. It would be different if this were a $20 flashlight but it costs almost as much as a C2H. On the other hand it is prettier than the C2H. The Jetbeam and the Peak are the nicest looking candidates but no clips. Fatal flaw in AA sized flashlights. The Peak needs another mode too.

I really must thank all of you lending your knowledge in this thread. I didn't think ANY single AA flashlights met my criteria but several have in most respects.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready.com is selling clips that will fit the El Capitan and Logan Peaks. They are designed for the offset on a Logan, but with a little tweaking, should work on the El Cap.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oveready.com is selling clips that will fit the El Capitan and Logan Peaks. They are designed for the offset on a Logan, but with a little tweaking, should work on the El Cap.

And I hear a 2 mode switch might be on the way. I hope so. High only won't do. With an R5 in DD with a 14500 runtime would be very short. I don't mind that but I need a lower mode just in case more runtime is needed.