needing advice

millertime

Newly Enlightened
Hi all I'm new to the fourm here and need advice. I'm looking at buying a Streamlight PT 1AA flashlight. I was wondering if there was a better light in this price range. The reason I'm concidering the Streamlight pt is the rep of the company and the fact that it has a clip (I need to clip it to my hat at work). I currently carry an energizer 1watt 1AA. thanks in advance on any input.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
It might help if you tell us the price range. There are a lot of AA lights and most (if not all) come with clips.

:welcome:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I'm partial to the Zebralight headlamps . They make several that use AA depending on the beam shape you want (flood/throw). They are very versatile and can be handheld like an ordinary flashlight, or used as a directional headlamp, or clipped to a shirt pocket/collar. Check out how people use them here. They do have a question mark over their reliability, though.

millertime

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input Belstaff. I've searching the forum and I think I might be leaning tward the trust model 1. just not sure how it would work with the clip flipped around. :thinking:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
It looks like it's suitable with a wide range of battery chemistries, which is good. 350 lumens is not OTF, but it should still be plenty bright ( >200 lumens). I hope it meets your needs.

millertime

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again belstaff. I was wondering if you use a lithium battery as opposed to a alk do you get more lumens? thanks again.:thinking:

TomH

Newly Enlightened
I EDC the PT 1AA and absolutely love it. There are brighter, higher runtime lights in this price range, but not a one of them comes with anywhere near as good of a warranty as the Streamlight. It has served me well so far and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

As far as using a lithium goes, I would definitely recommend it. You won't see a noticeable increase in lumens/runtime, but you'll have the piece of mind knowing that it won't leak and ruin your light.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD10 might clip to a hat, if the clip faces the same way as the LD20.
I have heard good things about the Streamlight PT1aa, so I can't tell you a light I don't own is better as o don't have an LD10.
I'm just getting started on single cell lights, none of mine are clipped towards the tailcap.
I don't wear hats anymore though, I have a nite-ize headband for the occasions I want a headlamp.
:shrug:

tandem

Enlightened
Fenix LD10 might clip to a hat, if the clip faces the same way as the LD20.

The latest version of the Fenix LD10 - the R4 - has quite a strong clip, supposedly Titanium coated (black) and best of all, it is reversible. You do not have to disassemble the light to reverse it.

It allows the light to sit fairly deep in the pocket with perhaps 1 cm sticking out. I tend to wear shorts or coveralls more than anything (doing renos at home lately) and I find it sits just fine, very solid, in cargo pockets. I have used it numerous times on the brim of a ball cap too.

This particular unit I've been carrying for three or four months and the clip shows no signs of bending out or fatigue whatsoever.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Thanks again belstaff. I was wondering if you use a lithium battery as opposed to a alk do you get more lumens? thanks again.:thinking:

I stick with Lithium because of the long shelf life which means I can buy in bulk, plus no leaking. My favourite light (HDS Clicky), which is my primary light, uses CR123 and rechargeables so I went for the CR123 version of the Zebralight headlamp. Thay way I only have to stock one battery type, and in an emergency I can scavenge the battery from my secondary light to use on my primary.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I would suggest Quark AA, which comes with a reversible/removable clip and is in the AA form factor, for $57 BEFORE CPF discount :D

Hope this helps,
woodentsick

SixM

Newly Enlightened
For the price and all the features it has the PT 1AA looks to be a good choice. To get all those features in a brighter light you're looking at $50-$60 lights in most cases, and more than likely no lifetime warranty.
Here's a light I've seen suggested before but I can't comment on the quality, maybe someone else can help out here.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-sa1-flashlight.html