Contact/heat transfer enhancer & Paint

Mojito150

Newly Enlightened
Maybe there are threads about this out there already, so please redirect me if you know of any...

1) What is the best contact/heat transfer enhancer...it needs to be suitable for threaded parts (ie heat sink to body), as well.

2) What paints have the best reflective properties? I have a light with some black areas inside the head.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Friction and Contact

Edit: LOL, now that Q#2 is the new Q#1 my reply looks a little odd now. :)
----------
Please note that Question # 1 is covered in the Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread in /General/.
Replies for the other two questions are welcome.

Mojito150, you might want to edit post #1 to change the thread title to something more specific for these two questions.

Last edited:

Mojito150

Newly Enlightened
Re: Friction and Contact

Edit: LOL, now that Q#2 is the new Q#1 my reply looks a little odd now. :)
----------
Please note that Question # 1 is covered in the Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread in /General/.
Replies for the other two questions are welcome.

Mojito150, you might want to edit post #1 to change the thread title to something more specific for these two questions.

Sorry, not trying to confuse anyone! I believe I have found solutions to all but the question about paint...anyone have experience with this? The light in question uses an aspherical lens, but I can only assume that increasing reflectivity inside the head will improve the overall output.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
2) What paints have the best reflective properties? I have a light with some black areas inside the head.
I believe I have found solutions to all but the question about paint...anyone have experience with this?

There has been some discussion of emissivity of various surfaces / coatings in CPF. It's a rather complex topic and not addressed all that often. I recall from my heat transfer studies that:
  • Convective heat transfer is only to the third power of delta T, but multiplied by a relatively high constant
  • Radiative heat transfer is to the fourth power of delta T, but multiplied by a relatively low constant
Therefore, heat transfer by radiation is relatively insignificant at low delta T's (like in our lights), but the dominint heat transfer mechanism at considerably higher delta T's (much higher than what we're seeing in flashlights).

However, this is more a topic for the /Materials/ or other CPF subforums rather than the /LED/ subforum. I'd suggest some searches related to 'heat emissivity' or 'coatings' or some such thing perhaps?

----------

Edit: Here are the CPF-only Google search results for 'heat emissivity coatings'. I think that there are some very useful results there.

OP, please let me know when you've found a useful thread from the above search results, as this thread / topic doesn't really belong in /LED/.

Last edited:

Latest posts