Advice on my first 65+ lumen pocketlight

charliek

Enlightened
OK guys- all this talk about heavy-hitting SureFire lights has got me itching-
I was thinking of taking the plunge and making the Surefire G2 Nitrolon my first Surefire. Should I get the 120lumen head as well? How does this light rate against the E2 and others of the same class? The 120 Lumen head sucks the batteries dry in 20 minutes.... I'm picturing something that can take a raccoon off it's feet at 50 paces. This light is in the $30 range too....

Anyone have advice? Beamshots?

avusblue

Enlightened
The G2 is a great starter light. But be aware the G2 is the only Surefire without the famous Lock-Out Tailcap. The 6P has that, has the same output as the G2, but with gorgeous metal body craftsmanship, and has more ability to be "accessorized". The E2 series is nice and tiny, with also about the same light capabilities. And some people would say the L4 has the most "wow factor" of 'em all, due to its floodwall of crystal-white light.

Buy one or all, you can't go wrong.

Dave

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The High output lamps dont throw any further than the low output lamps, they are more or less the same intensity, with the high output lamps giving a much bigger hotspot.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The High output lamps dont throw any further than the low output lamps, they are more or less the same intensity, with the high output lamps giving a much bigger hotspot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow- I didn't know that! Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
But be aware the G2 is the only Surefire without the famous Lock-Out Tailcap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having never experienced this feature, I don't think I'll miss it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just saw the $30 pricetag and thought this might be a painless way to "run with the big dogs" a bit...

pahl

Enlightened
Get the G2. You won't be disappointed.

I will see if I can take some beam shots later tonight comparing it to the 2D and 5D mag.

EPguy

Newly Enlightened
Get the G2, you won't be disapointed. I have a number of them laying around the house, in closets, drawers and glove boxes of the cars(them ones is bright yeller). Then you'll get the bug and have to buy more...just accept that fact and you'll be okay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a G2 and brought it to work with me about 6 months ago. Guess how many people on my shift of 14 now have a G2?? 12 of them! And, the other two saps wish they had one everytime they see someone else's in action.

It is a great light to start with, but it may lead you down a path where you find your checking account balance in the red! The yellow brick road does look nice and shiney under 120 lumens though!!

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
E2E4ME said:
It is a great light to start with, but it may lead you down a path where you find your checking account balance in the red! The yellow brick road does look nice and shiney under 120 lumens though!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see why- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well.... I have that light charted for my next order.

Let my Wife and daughter ask me what I want for Christmas THIS year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

EPguy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah an dall you would have to do is throw down the SF catalog and say 'Take your pick'
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
After buying one of the very first 6P's many years ago, (and paid $100.00 for the privilege, YIKES!), and having several more aluminum SF's since, I finally aquired a G2, (thanks Dave!). I just can't believe how much I like this light! For the money, they are the "darlings" and the total bargain of the SF line. This Nitrolon stuff is fantastic! So light and so durable I like it almost as much as the aluminum models. The G2 can also accept any accessory the 6P can.

I agree with Ka. The P61, (high output), doesn't throw any farther than the P60, (low output). In fact, I could never "see" that much difference in brightness between the two except for a slighly larger hotspot in the P61 as Ka said. The shorter runtime of the P61 in the end was never worth it to me. Others may disagree but that's my assessment.