Couple questions. Maglite 6d, and surefire g3l.

EDDAKA

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

First post on CPF!

I've been lurking here for a while. The amount of information available here is just astonishing. So I'd just like to thank all those that contribute.

Anyway so I have a couple questions hopefully you guys can help me out with.

(some backstory, sorry)

Ive known they're were high quality flashlights out there for a while now, but I never really looked into to buying one. To be honest my first "high lumen" flashlight was the triple aaa one from countycomm. I really enjoyed that flashlight till I lost it. Surprisingly bright and durable.

Upon finding out about the maglite 6D I just knew I had to have it. Who doesn't want an abnormally huge flashlight that doubles as a baton? :)

I used this flashlight for several weeks. Served it's purpose well as a pretty good flashlight to keep in my car, and just all around yardwork (I live on 26 acres at the moment.) While going to check on my chickens at about 9pm i dropped my heavy-*** 6d maglite, and it promptly stopped working. (on soft dirt too..)

I promptly went to go change the bulb, and forgot it was left on, and voila a shorted out bulb. (The bulb got incredibly foggy all the sudden.)

Now I have a broken maglite, lol. I read some information on here and I'm having trouble deciding on a new bulb. I really want something LED for the longer runtimes. So I already bought a "nite ize" bulb. (the one that lasts 120+ hours.) But I also want something with higher lumens. I have read multiple things about some of the terralux does stuff. Like the TLE-300M, or the TERRALUX TLE-6EX MINISTAR5.

I wish i could buy a malkoff since they have rave reviews, but they seem to be out of stock of EVERYTHING.

So problem number uno: Reccomendation for new LED bulb for my 6d maglight.

Onto next question:

I really like the look of the surefire g3l "fire and rescue" model. I'm going to be an EMT soon, and it would make a great flashlight for that also. (just like my knives I like bright colors. Easy to find if dropped.)

However from some quick info gathering on this sight it seems that the the runtime for these aren't that good.

The 120 lumens seems a bit excessive for what I need it to do. 80 lumens would be fine.(p60l lamp) Could I order the light to come with a p60l lamp installed from the factory? Also what would the runtime be with that setup?

I wish I could buy the malkoff m60ll which everybody raved about. but they discontinued that a long time ago. (or so it seems...)

I Apologize for the super long winded (or typed) questions. Hopefully you guys could give me a helping hand.

Thanks,
-Richard.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I really like the look of the surefire g3l "fire and rescue" model. I'm going to be an EMT soon, and it would make a great flashlight for that also. (just like my knives I like bright colors. Easy to find if dropped.)

However from some quick info gathering on this sight it seems that the the runtime for these aren't that good.

The 120 lumens seems a bit excessive for what I need it to do. 80 lumens would be fine.(p60l lamp) Could I order the light to come with a p60l lamp installed from the factory? Also what would the runtime be with that setup?

I wish I could buy the malkoff m60ll which everybody raved about. but they discontinued that a long time ago. (or so it seems...)
Hi EDDAKA, :welcome:
I'm no help for the Maglite, but the M61L or M61LL are both excellent replacements for the discontinued M60LL. The also-discontinued SF P60LED is very outdated by now and I would not recommend it at all.

Here are a few threads related to the M61L and/or the M61LL that you might find helpful:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/284166
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282380
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/292167
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282234
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/293867

Last edited:

adamjh3

Newly Enlightened
Richard,

I am an EMT and carry a Malkoff M61 hosted in an MD2 carried in a Surefire holster on duty, and it works very well.

There are people on here who would say the output of the M61 is too high, but I find it works very well for my job. The beam is just the right mix of spot and flood that easily lights up a room and throws far enough for spotting addresses.

Would the M61L work just as well? Probably. Maybe even better with it's longer runtime for those tricky extrications. I don't have the money to drop on one to find out myself.

I also carry a Zebralight SC30 or a Quark AA clipped to my pocket for around station. The low low on both of these is good for getting up to take a whiz in the middle of the night without waking up my partner. But both also light up enough to be used as a replacement for my MD2 should it somehow fail (which would likely only happen if I didn't bring enough batteries).

Quest4fire

Enlightened
EDDAKA, Check out this thread for a solution to your M@glite! You will not find a better cost/lumens ratio drop-in:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277748

P.S. Yes I have one and it ROCKS!

P.P.S. "The 120 lumens seems a bit excessive for what I need it to do. 80 lumens would be fine."

That's what I thought when I got my first Surefire, then my first p60 drop-in. Now... I won't be satisfied until I can hold a piece of the sun in my hand!

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
op, 6d is a huge light, tle300 will work good, i have one, great light, if you want something like"holly sh,,,t" bright you need 3xp7 kit, it is not cheap, but you will flood your entire property with light using that thing, i build one a year ago, and it is the brightest, and very practical light i have. i take it camping with me all the time, everyone goes "WOW" when i put it on.

EDDAKA

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies so far!

Appreciate all the help.:twothumbs

Does anyone know when malkoff makes the new lamps? is it a yearly thing? I would really like to get the surefire g3l, but would like to have a longer runtime with the 80 lumens.

......or I could go with HDS tactical in 170 lumens. (and run it on half power? I know I'm opening a can of worms of here, but is it worth the cash over the 140 or the 120 lumen model?)

Thanks
-Richard.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
......or I could go with HDS tactical in 170 lumens. (and run it on half power? I know I'm opening a can of worms of here, but is it worth the cash over the 140 or the 120 lumen model?
Although this is your thread, I would very much recommend pursuing HDS information in the numerous Ra/HDS threads that are currently running here in /LED/ - they are yet another vast topic. Just a suggestion ...