red spotlight input needed

jayd4wg

Newly Enlightened
Short time lurker - lots of great info here, but frankly i'm suffering from too-much-info-itus. I'm working on...scratch that, I WANT to be working on a little project of one of my hobbies - I hesitate to actually tell what the hobby is just yet, given the flack i may take so let's just say that I am in need of the following:

A very bright red colored LED spotlight that is easily transportable, weapon mountable, powered by either 4-6 sub-C nicd or li-i rechargables with the option of attaching a remote c or AA battery pack in case the night runs a little long.

I need this light to produce a visible beam to 100-150 yards, with no more than 10-15 degrees dispersion.

See, I predator hunt, and i'm tired of burning thru battery packs with a halogen 55w bulb only to try to push all that light thru a red filter cutting my light output by 50% or more, just wasting all that energy and creating so much heat that my light burns my hand if i'm not careful.

I have modest metal and plastic working ability and my goal was to try to fit this contraption into a short piece of 1.5" PVC and strap it to the rifle.

We typically call these lights "kill lights" but I like to call them "target acquisition lights" used only at the last minute to properly identify the target before delivering payload. Most predator (coyote) hunting is done at night and coyotes do not shy off of red light as much as blue and white wavelengths.

I'm having a hard time determining how bright is bright, and have ZERO exposure to the units of measurement on all bulk LED's. I was looking at a couple and wondering if there would be better choices:

the red cree xp3 bulb has 100degree viewing angle with a luminous flux rating of 46...I have NO clue how bright this is or if it has a chance of doing what I'm asking it to do. Please understand, I can add multiple bulbs but was hoping to keep this one to a single bulb. It's sole purpose is to give enough light downrange to properly see that the two bouncing marbles i'm about to extinguish belong to a raccoon, fox, or coyote. All are legal during season, but the coyote is my primary target. I hunt them for local farmers who's livestock are taking a good hit from them. There are also concerns of the coyotes encroaching on kids and family pets...they are really unwelcome critters here in western PA.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need something like this , i have one build into my lantern, at first i thought 90lm is not much, but after i tried put a filter on my mag 85 (around1500lm) i noticed, that little drop in was not much different from my filtered mag 85. well mag85 did have more spill, the led it has narrow a beam, possibly very close to 15* very intense beam at max. it wont throw as far as my mag85\deep reflector does, but it still has a good throw
you need that, plus a cheap host light, that you can mount on a rifle.