Photoluminescence advice for a Mod

E

EchoSierraTwo

Morning CPFers (that sounds like a curse word, oh my!),

I was thinking about doing a Mod to a flashlight. I was thinking about using "Glow in the dark" tape or film on the external casing of a flashlight so that you would be able to find it in less that convenient lighting or just complete darkness. I also saw, what is referred to as "Glow Dust or Powder". I have seen some Mods done with the powder on the heat-sink of a flashlight. My question is mainly about the powder. can and would you use this in the type of application that I describes above? and if so, in you opinion how would you go about doing it (some type of adhesive? what would you use?) I seek anyones professional opinion and or advice. I would also consider using the tape or film I just wonder if it would just come off with normal use of could you use some type of sealant that would not interfere with the photoluminescence of tape. Thanks in advance for you opinions.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want to put it on the outside? Best bet is to find some depressed areas that won't expose it to friction and "paint" the glow powder on. Then use acrylic spray or fingernail polish to water-proof it. Where you would place it varies from light to light.

I don't have much use for putting it on the outside as it would rub off most of my lights or would not be activated due to lack of recharging while in a pocket or such. What I did is what a lot of others with led optics did--I made the interior of the flashlight's head glow.

For my upgraded KL1 I made an aluminum cone to fit loosely around the optic and coated it with multiple layers of glow powder in a little nailpolish. A topcoat of acrylic was applied once it "baked" under a hot desklamp. The cone was put in, the optic and lens holds everything in place and I can navigate around the house quite well with it when it's charged and I'm dark adapted.

My mini-gag's inside of the head and heatsink were plastered with the stuff with no regard for style. It works okay.

If you're planing on coating a reflector, people have used a dusting technique with coats of acrylic spray in between. Expect a loss of brightness though.

With a glowing head, I can charge it in seconds, turn it off and walk away and still see where I left it hours later.

-Jason

E

EchoSierraTwo

Thanks flownosaj. I have some ideas. I just wanted o guage what everyone else thought or have done like yourself. Sounds interesting and I cant wait to get started. So just that I understand. You simply mixed the glow powder in nailpolish? clear I assume. let me know brother.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mix the glowpowder with clear nailpolish, be prepared to use it all ASAP. If it sits too long, the glowpowder settles to the bottom and it's a real PITA to mix it back up again.

check this thread on glowpowder and see what you think. Someone mentioned another solution to suspend the glowpowder in, but I just remix with some disposeable plastic mixers.

I've been really impressed with the super luminova, and keep in mind that the green glows the brightest and longest. If I had a digital camera, I'd post a few shots, but alas, my flashahol budget only allows for batteries and lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason