Photon Freedom Covert detachable night vision silencer mod

mzil

Enlightened
I've come up with a useful yet instantly detachable mod for my favorite key chain flashlight, the LRI Photon Freedom (covert), I call a "silencer", both because of what it does and what it looks like. It solves several issues and gains some new functionality for the light.

Although they make a red version as well (and several other colors too), I've often thought it would be nice to carry only one "universal" Photon which could instantly switch temporarily to red on the fly, instead of white, to be used:

• in conjunction with its low mode for night vision preservation while maintaining side light leakage protection for covert, stealth use
  • as an emergency use, rear bike flasher, and
  • for SOS/beacon modes to better attract attention
[All these flash and variable brightness modes are pre-programmed into the Photon Freedom, by the way, in case anyone here doesn't already know this.]

Another issue with the Photon Freedom is that even though it has a "protected" mode, mine still seems to find a way of accidentally getting turned on and draining the battery while getting bashed around with my keys in my pocket. [I also don't seem to have the hidden, programmable "auto-off" feature, perhaps because mine is a very early production model.] A safety guard to prevent battery drain is also part of what this mod does. Here is my Photon Freedom (covert/white) using my mod in the safety (locked) position:
5115924878_e6cfd09842.jpg

• won't turn on accidentally in my pocket due to the button guard
  • acts as a dust cover and moisture barrier to the LED opening (silicon might even make it waterproof but thats for a future version)
  • acts as a pocket clip and looks very much like a pen from the outside of the shirt
5115924816_382c954076.jpg

Here is the silencer flipped around in the operational (red light) position:
5115325675_59c7549433_z.jpg

For normal white light, you simply pull off the attachment entirely.

Inside the silencer's short barrel is a disc of dark red PVC plastic cut from a $2 sheet I bought at an art store, Blick, made by MidwestProducts.com (model 704-03). To preserve the stealth aspect of the covert Photon the red filter disc is recessed from the front, on purpose, (otherwise it glows and stands out like a sore thumb) to maintain a tactical advantage by blocking side light leakage much like the covert Photons do already with their LED encasement. [People who don't care about this aspect could make the silencer barrel half as long if desired.] The colored disc is held in with a removable retaining ring and can be replaced with another color if need be, but unless there is a UV filter available (that I don't know about and actually works as UV, not just "purple") red is the only color I personally care about. [UPDATE: See pic in post #4, below. I now have GREEN, too!]

I would assume it is obvious, however if the source material for the silencer's construction isn't apparent to all, here is a little visual hint ;) :

5115325603_5262d8350b.jpg

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
That rocks, daddyo -- brilliant!

You are one bad hyper-3D dude for figuring out how to use the pen parts. I've done my own mod for the covert PF but yours has far more potential.

I'll be messing with this because it can be used for all kinds of things...but I'll be sticking with NV Green. I've given a lot of thought about how to reduce the aperture size of the covert PF and stop some of the reflections off the inside of the stock covert tube.

One question -- what kind of glue did you find best? [EDIT] Oh I get it, its a slip fit -- cool.

Thanks for the great post,

Sub

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened
Yes, the silencer connects and detaches instantly just like a normal pen cap does, no glue only friction.

Since the pen cap barrel's inner diameter is too loose to hold the Photon's covert nose covering, I had to build up and thicken either one or the other. Since I wanted to keep the Photon stock and unmodified when the silencer is removed, this of course meant I had to build up the inner diameter of the pen cap, which I easily did with other pen material (specifically, short slices of the pen barrel) which were then coated with black Sharpie pen to make them non-reflective and stealthy from a side view.

I think you'll be better able to see what I mean in this close up view of the silencer's working end:
5115924906_2a0e632d1b_z.jpg

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened
I've now added a green filter disc, also good for night vision (Photon actual makes a turquoise green 450 nm (correction 3-30-11: 495 nm) LED light they specifically market as "night vision", for example). Since the interchanhgable filters are almost paper thin, I keep the alternate one I'm not using inside the Photon's battery cover and can quickly remove the front retaining ring to swap colors in the feild, should I choose. Here's a pick of the green one in action also showing the red filter disc and an extra (spare) retaining ring I had, prior to blackening it with a Sharpie pen:

5536259613_46a7604e63_b.jpg

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PF in NV Green (cyan) is actually 495 nm when run at the stock 6V and shifted a little greener (maybe ~505nm?) when run at 3V.

According to:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/phfrmipesafl.html

the various PF colors at stock voltages are:
  • Purple @ 405nm
  • Blue @ 470nm
  • Turquoise (NV Green) @ 495nm
  • Green @ 525nm
  • Yellow @ 592nm
  • Orange @ 605nm
  • Red @ 630nm
  • White @ 6500 K

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened
Not sure where you are getting a "shifted a little greener (maybe ~505nm?) when run at 3V" for the Photon Freedom turquoise NV color, your link only mentions a brightness change not a frequency change by changing the batteries used, but yes, I stand corrected, both that link and Photon (LRI) quote 495 nm, not 450 nm as I had originally written. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure where you are getting a "shifted a little greener (maybe ~505nm?) when run at 3V" for the Photon Freedom turquoise NV color, your link only mentions a brightness change not a frequency change by changing the batteries used, but yes, I stand corrected, both that link and Photon (LRI) quote 495 nm, not 450 nm as I had originally written. Thanks.
Right. Actually, I think much of the source material used for that blurb (at BatteryJunction) was written by me a few years ago.

I've been running de-powered NV Green PFs for years and years now with cr2032 cells. They ALL are greener when de-powered. There is still a lot of blue in them but the difference is very noticeable. It's less like cyan and much more like the green/blue used in traffic lights. It's even a little greener than the green in my avatar. Try it.

The de-powered NV Green PF have been my most used lights for about five years.

EDIT: I just figured out why my post confused you. The link I gave was merely a source for the LED colors. I didn't mean that the page stated that there was a color shift. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Just a heads-up for anyone trying out this "silencer clip" mod. Be careful that the friction fit on the "covert nose" isn't too tight - if it is too tight it can pull the whole covert nose and LED right out of your light :eek: !!!!

Yes, it did happen to me. All is not lost though, as the covert nose can simply be pushed back in. The LED legs need to be aligned carefully to line up with the sockets on the circuit board. It's a bit fiddly, so check it out without the body first (ie with both the LED/covert nose AND the circuit board out of the main body of the light).

I still like the clip idea, so will continue my research (may involve velcro and a small clip).

Last edited:

mzil

Enlightened
It's funny, with mine, if anything, I wish it had more grip friction, not less. Did you use the exact BIC Round Stick pen (biro) I show in the picture to make yours?

I've often thought to make a retaining tether for it out of a thin string, like a camera might have for its lens cap, just so if it does fall off accidentally while in my backpack, etc., at least I wont lose it.

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
No,I didn't use a Bic pen, it was a different brand (and very tight). Now I know the covert nose can pull out I think I'll go with a different clip. I've got some TEC P7 suspension clips on order, so I'll try them out.