Build advice for .mil friend?

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hello all,

Have a buddy who is deploying to iraq in a little over a month, and I want to send him over with a decent light. My initial thought: SF C2 (HA) with a Malkoff M61W.

Thoughts? I think it has a great combo going for it -- HA so it can get beat up, and a clip (since he'll be keeping it in a bag or pocket most of the time, I believe). LED doesn't ever need to be changed. Plenty bright. My only concerns are: 1) run time might be a bit short. Would you go for the M61WL? 2) reverse polarity protection -- worried that if he ever needs to change batteries under stress, he might fry his emitter. 3) availability of CR123's over there? 4) no warning that it's running low -- just sudden darkness.

I'd appreciate any feedback, especially from any .mil folks. Thanks guys,

BBL

Enlightened
If he needs a tactical light, i would expect he gets one issued.

My recommendation goes towards an utility light - HDS EDC. Low mode, long runtime.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thoughts? I think it has a great combo going for it -- HA so it can get beat up, and a clip (since he'll be keeping it in a bag or pocket most of the time, I believe). LED doesn't ever need to be changed. Plenty bright. My only concerns are: 1) run time might be a bit short. Would you go for the M61WL? 2) reverse polarity protection -- worried that if he ever needs to change batteries under stress, he might fry his emitter. 3) availability of CR123's over there? 4) no warning that it's running low -- just sudden darkness.

Overall, I think it's a great combo. Regarding your queries:
  1. If runtime is considered to be too short, I'd suggest checking out the M61L thread. IMO Gene M understates the runtime from his modules - my guess is that the runtimes stated on the website may be the minimum that can be expected. There has been lots of test data posted here on CPF documenting regulated runtimes greater than the posted figures for the various Malkoff modules.
  2. I don't know - others may. Contacting Gene Malkoff is your best bet on this.
  3. From reading this forum, I hear that availability over there is adequate but not widespread?
  4. 2x CR123 primaries will provide gradually decreasing brightness as the cells near depletion - don't worry about abrupt cutoff - that would occur with protection LiIon rechargeables but not Lithium primary CR123's - no problem with your application at all.
I'm a huge fan of the SF C2 and the Malkoff drop-ins - about a bombproof setup as possible. However, a two-mode light with a decent low might be a valid alternate option perhaps?

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of it will depend on your buddy's MOS and his expected job.

A good workhorse is the M61LL - long run time, very good output. Remember, a little light goes a long way in the dark.

His unit might supply CR123s, but he can always get them at the local AAFES PX.

My two bits: a C2 w/ Malkoff M61LL and a Fenix E01. The E01 is invaluable for navigating through crowded bays, rummaging for gear and checking latrines. The M61LL will cover any other needs.

If he's going to be using a weapon mounted tac light, his unit will issue something - and it doesn't make any sense for you to spend a load of cash on something that will sit in his bag without seeing the light of day.

Tell your friend good luck.

-Trevor

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My two bits: a C2 w/ Malkoff M61LL and a Fenix E01. The E01 is invaluable for navigating through crowded bays, rummaging for gear and checking latrines. The M61LL will cover any other needs.
Excellent advice, an accompanying 1xAAA light for general low-level duty.

[...] and it doesn't make any sense for you to spend a load of cash on something that will sit in his bag without seeing the light of day.
emphasis added
Isn't this the whole point, LOL? ;)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a Quark AA2, reg or tactical. Sleeker than surefire, the reg tailstands. Moonlight mode has great run time. 200 lumens otf in turbo, nice floody beam.
For a tighter beam the quark turbo.

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
My brother is a marine on his fourth deployment, and I set him up with a surefire g2 with a m60ll. Which he liked but he flipped out when he saw how versatile and durable my hds clicky was. He wasn't so much enamored with it's high output as he was with the lower levels because he uses it typically for navigation and finding stuff in his bag. Opposed to the surefire on his m4 that needs to be bright as hell

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
An HDS clicky, that's a great idea. Lots of low, fits in streamlight's helmet mount and they look sturdy.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the Malkoff MD2 with M61W as you can get it with a two mode ring, but it doesn't have a clip. He could always try to find a clip that fits, or use a holster.

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
Keep it simple. :)

Surefire. Pick your flavor - 6p with drop in, e2dl, aviator, etc.

I've been here in Iraq for almost 2 years and heading out to Afghanistan in March...Surefire is the light of choice, even for those who decide to supply their own gear.

Personally, I'd stay away from whatever has a fancy electronics, confusing UI's, etc. On/off and probably a low/high..clicky and/or clicky+twist. Replacement parts are also generally easy to find, especially if one is on a somewhat larger base.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep it simple. :)
Personally, I'd stay away from whatever has a fancy electronics, confusing UI's, etc. On/off and probably a low/high..clicky and/or clicky+twist. Replacement parts are also generally easy to find, especially if one is on a somewhat larger base.

This. Trust me when I say the last thing you want to be doing is screwing around with a $#^)#^)(! UI when you need light and you need it right the frag now.

A Surefire of any kind, but like I said, I'm partial to the M61LLs for superior run time, output and beam pattern.

If you want to toss in a "work" light with all the bells and whistles, great - but, in my opinion, every troop needs a KISS-easy light to grab and go.

-Trevor

ETA: Light needs can be broken down as so:

1. Tactical light - if he's an 11-bang bang, he'll get one issued. If not, having one doesn't hurt, but likely not required.
2. General purpose light - used for anything and everything not tac-related
3. Personal light - gear checks, rummaging in bays, latrine checks.
4. Non-white light - may never be used, but every once in a while...whether you buy a stand-alone light or get a filter, it's a good idea.
5. Head lamp - pretty much optional, but can come in useful from time to time.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I would suggest the Malkoff MD2 with M61W as you can get it with a two mode ring, but it doesn't have a clip. He could always try to find a clip that fits, or use a holster.

There is an optional Delrin tail shroud with a clip specifically for the MD2. It will also facilitate tail standing.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
My brother is a marine on his fourth deployment, and I set him up with a surefire g2 with a m60ll. Which he liked but he flipped out when he saw how versatile and durable my hds clicky was. He wasn't so much enamored with it's high output as he was with the lower levels because he uses it typically for navigation and finding stuff in his bag. Opposed to the surefire on his m4 that needs to be bright as hell

I heard that some companies in the Marines are issued with HDS Clickies !! I knew that HDS supplied the military but I didn't realize that it was the Marines !!

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks a million for the input guys --

Kestrel: I know they never used to have reverse polarity protection (LEO buddy fried one). If they do now, that'd be awesome. As far as the no warning -- my bad. That was dumb (told you I was still learning). Makes sense -- when the LIons are ready to protect, the emitter is still regulated, so it just cuts out. With 123s, you'd get a warning...kind of makes me wish I was running CR123s myself, but rechargeables do save a ton of $$.

He's not an 11B, so a tac light sounds like it's not a priority...I'll lean towards the M61LL. However, in that case, do you think the C2 tank is still necessary? Would something smaller be more likely to be clipped to his pocket when he needs it? I haven't owned a C2, but they sure do seem great.

HDS clikey looks like a great light, but likely out of my price range, and as some pointed out, a simple UI sounds like a really good idea.

TMedina: sounds like I would be towards the general light end if I go with the C2, or a personal light category if I go with something smaller. How about an e series surefire?

I'll look into a quark, fenix, or other AAA. But as Bailey said, I really like the SFs. I own Fenix, and a ton of others, and I don't trust anything as much as my SF lights.

Thanks again guys -- please keep the feedback coming.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I love my Surefires, I don't trust their clips. Any flashlight he gets will likely be stashed in a specific pouch expressly for carrying the light.

That said, an E1L or an E2L make for great EDC, "work" lights. The only thing I don't like about the E1L (I carry one daily) is the lack of spill. It has a very focused hotspot and not much to the left or right, which can be problematic on occasion.

The M61LL, while a little bulkier in a C2 or 6P host, has a solid run time of 80 lumens for 10 hours, then the output tapers off gradually.

The E2L, on high, puts out 60 lumens for 6 hours, with a taper.

The M61LL has a functional spill around the hotspot, the E2L has almost no spill.

I'd still go with the C2/6P + M61LL. The E2L is not a bad second choice, but I'm not a big fan of multi-modes in my primary light.

-Trevor