Help me find a LED thrower with good spill...

adw2001xj

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new light that might fill my requirements. I have done a bit of searching and haven't really found anything that seems to come close to what I am looking for..... (maybe I'm not looking in the right area and someone can point me in the right direction?)

. Light up a person at 200-feet (i.e. hotspot is a minimum of 6 to 8 feet in diameter @ 200 feet, this is a minimum diameter, hotspot can be larger in diameter, distance does not have to be more than 200-feet although more can be better)
. Good spill (still want to see some of the surrounding area, not looking for a spotlight/searchlight)
. Multiple light levels (prefer 3 or more levels)
. Don't want strobe or SOS modes
. Uses 2 or 3 CR123A's (might consider rechargeable if I can still use primarys in the light)
. EDC size, maybe like a SureFire U2 size, not much larger in diameter.

Am I asking for too much? :thinking: :whistle:

If anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
How about the Elzetta ZFL-M60 dual output or the Malkoff MD2 with hi/lo ? The Elzetta comes withe the Malkoff M60 drop in which is an optic - 235/15 (hiu/lo) lumens and 350ft throw. You can replace it with any other Malkoff drop in if you prefer. It takes 2 x CR123 or 17670, and it is one-handed operadtion. The MD2 come with the M61 drop in which is uses a standard reflector. The hotspot on the M60 is much tighter but I think the M61 has a more useful spill area. The MD2 is 260/40 (hi/lo ?).

brut2333

Newly Enlightened
well....I bought a surefire g2 LED it uses 2 cr123a batts but i went better than that and got 2 rcr123a rechargeables from batteries plus and it has the same runtime with out the cost of the cr123a's. as for light output, its rated at 120 Lumens! It's a very bright little light for around $65.00. it has decent throw(IMO) and is my (walkin to the store light). It has only one output but is small enuf to fit in you're pocket. hope this helps! :twothumbs

fishx65

Enlightened
A solid P60 host with a 3 mode R2 dropin seems like it would fit the bill just fine. The R2's are a really good mix of spot and spill.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
An 8-ft diameter hotspot at 200-ft translates to about a 2.3-degree hotspot beam angle, which is even narrower than that of the Dereelight DBS with a R2 in a smooth reflector, which was considered to be the pocketable throw king for a long time and may still be the king in its class. It has exceptional throw for its size--- up to 600 feet to my eyes, and its spill beam is even narrower and brighter than most P60 R2s.

Since you want decent spill, TIR optics are out of the question. Others please feel free to jump in, but I don't believe there is a light out there that can meet your criteria.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
Throw and spill are inversely related, as you increase one the other suffers. Consider something like the WE Krait, which has a focusable beam. 200yd is doable with most P60 based lights IMO.

Unless you see a light in action, its difficult to understand what it is you really want.

adw2001xj

Newly Enlightened
Throw and spill are inversely related, as you increase one the other suffers. Consider something like the WE Krait, which has a focusable beam. 200yd is doable with most P60 based lights IMO.

Unless you see a light in action, its difficult to understand what it is you really want.

I understand the relation of throw and spill (somewhat). 200 yards is a much larger distance than what I was asking for..... though that can be good...

How about the Elzetta ZFL-M60 dual output or the Malkoff MD2 with hi/lo ? The Elzetta comes withe the Malkoff M60 drop in which is an optic - 235/15 (hiu/lo) lumens and 350ft throw. You can replace it with any other Malkoff drop in if you prefer. It takes 2 x CR123 or 17670, and it is one-handed operadtion. The MD2 come with the M61 drop in which is uses a standard reflector. The hotspot on the M60 is much tighter but I think the M61 has a more useful spill area. The MD2 is 260/40 (hi/lo ?).

Hmmm, that elzetta looks strange to me, like it belongs in a sci-fi movie, LOL. The MD2 looks interesting though.

An 8-ft diameter hotspot at 200-ft translates to about a 2.3-degree hotspot beam angle, which is even narrower than that of the Dereelight DBS with a R2 in a smooth reflector, which was considered to be the pocketable throw king for a long time and may still be the king in its class. It has exceptional throw for its size--- up to 600 feet to my eyes, and its spill beam is even narrower and brighter than most P60 R2s.

Since you want decent spill, TIR optics are out of the question. Others please feel free to jump in, but I don't believe there is a light out there that can meet your criteria.

OK, I dont believe I said max of 8-ft diameter, though I can see how you might think so. The hotspot can be larger, however as I stated I need to light up a person at 200-feet (60.96-meters or 66.67 yards).

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Yep.....the MD2 is a great light. Plus it takes 18650 cells. If you don't need the lumens, I suggest you get the M61W drop in instead of the M61. The M61W has a neutral/warm tint that has to be seen to be believed, but it's about 20~30 lumens less. I've bought the M61W and I'm just waiting for the orange MD2 to become available again.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a new light that might fill my requirements. I have done a bit of searching and haven't really found anything that seems to come close to what I am looking for..... (maybe I'm not looking in the right area and someone can point me in the right direction?)

. Light up a person at 200-feet (i.e. hotspot is about 6 to 8 feet in diameter @ 200 feet, this is a minimum diameter, hotspot can be larger in diameter, distance does not have to be more than 200-feet although more can be better)
. Good spill (still want to see some of the surrounding area, not looking for a spotlight/searchlight)
. Multiple light levels (prefer 3 or more levels)
. Don't want strobe or SOS modes
. Uses 2 or 3 CR123A's (might consider rechargeable if I can still use primarys in the light)
. EDC size, maybe like a SureFire U2 size, not much larger in diameter.

OK, I dont believe I said max of 8-ft diameter, though I can see how you might think so. The hotspot can be larger, however as I stated I need to light up a person at 200-feet (60.96-meters or 66.67 yards).

???:whistle:

Malkoff HoundDog or 4sevens Maelstrom G5 (strobe and SOS are hidden on the tactical set which you will never need to use and never see)

Last edited:

adw2001xj

Newly Enlightened
Tre,

Just out of curiosity, did you read the rest of the sentence you quoted? :poke:

I'll edit my original post again, maybe this will help.... :ohgeez:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tre,

Just out of curiosity, did you read the rest of the sentence you quoted? :poke:

I'll edit my original post again, maybe this will help.... :ohgeez:

I did. I was just trying to point out where others may have gotten that from. I will edit my post to make that more clear. Anyway, I think the Maelstrom or Hounddog will be good for you.

adw2001xj

Newly Enlightened
I did. I was just trying to point out where others may have gotten that from. I will edit my post to make that more clear. Anyway, I think the Maelstrom or Hounddog will be good for you.

no problem :wave:

My thanks goes out to all that have replied! :thanks: