WaterPROOF, ONE handed LED for EDC on neck lanyard

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying a cute little Inova on my neck for many moons. Made the misteak of wearing it into the shower... it still works AFTER being dissembled and dried off...
Can anyone sugggest a waterPROOF LED that can EASILY be operated one handed? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

charliek

Enlightened
Re: WaterPROOF, ONE handed LED for EDC on neck lan

My CMG Ultra can be operated one handed if you hold the base with pinky and ring finger while turning the top with thumb and pointer...... I guess it depends on how good you are with your hands... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened
I've left a CMG Infinity in my pants pocket when I washed and dried the pants. The are genuinely waterproof.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a coin cell light, try a CMG O4, which is gasket sealed and has a pushbutton switch. You can also operate those twist bezel lights one-handed, but it's a little fiddly. Of course you can always go for something bigger and more upscale, like an Arc LS with TSP.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a bunch of people who use the waterproof CMG Infinity Ultra for taking their showers. The showers have no electricity where they work in Central America. They turn on the Infi Ultra and hang it from the shower head.

The Arc AAA would also work perfectly. However, it is a little more of a trick to turn on one-handed. I operate mine one-handed now because I've gotten used to it. It is also perfectly waterproof.

The CMG Infi Ultra has a much longer run time on a single AA than the Arc AAA.

BC

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
Pelican L1?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Pelican L1 leaks, so I would not recommend it for an application calling for a "waterproof" flashlight.
I don't think it would do any better than the Inova if the user uses the shower with it still on his or her person.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input.

BarryNYC:
The PocketBright indeed looks like EVERYTHING I want, but perhaps a bit large to wear between my shirts in a semi-professional environment.

paulr:
The lever looks a bit goofy, but the O4 should meet the size criteria. I'll have to check it out next time I get to the stores.

BC0311:
I still don't own an Arc AAA (Sssssssshhhhhh), but this may be the time to go for it.

Thanks again.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Photon 3 is worth looking at if you use the shower with your flashlights - intentional or unintentional. I know it's more water resistant than the Inova you described, but I don't know how deep it can go. And it's smaller and thinner than a Pocket Bright.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes I think the Arc AAA is the nicest of the lights mentioned. Operating it one handed takes a little practice but is doable. You could also look at the CMG Sonic, which isn't as nice a light but might be easier to operate one handed, since the part you twist is bigger. You could also look at the UKE 2aaa eLED which is even bigger, but same thickness (flat profile) and is a dive light.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Craig said, the Photon III is waterproof for most showering needs. As long as there isn't high pressure, then there shouldn't be much of a problem.

One of my favorites

-Jason

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnderWater Kinetics eLED 2AAA http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10625500971425208&sku=UND09101

http://www.uwkinetics.com/UK2AAAWLEDIND.htm

Since it uses the original body, which is dive rated, you should be able to use it in the shower. I find that it is not difficult to turn on and off with one hand and the flat sides of the flashlight body certainly help. Also, keeping the O-ring moist with silicone grease makes it even easier. But I must warn you that I'm the type of person who can turn on and off the Infinity and Arc-AAA with 1 hand as well.

You might think it is much bulkier, being a 2AAA light, but really it isn't. The side-by-side battery configuration keeps it short, and the entire design makes it almost as compact as any single AAA light. Also, the lever spring at the bottom makes it simple to change cells. You can literally drop the cell in.

Good small size, waterPROOF, run time rivalling the Infinity Ultra, hole for lanyard, included clip and key ring accessory and cheap price. How can you go wrong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
The ARC-AAA can be operated one-handed as others have said. I do so very easily with mine. The amount of twist you can apply naturally between thumb and forefinger, about 1/4 turn, is sufficient to keep the light safely in the OFF position, and easily turn it back ON without contorting your hand.
If the action on yours it too tight, the O-ring can be tweaked to make it easier to turn. Slip the O-ring onto a AAA battery and rub it against some very fine grit sandpaper to reduce its OD until it's to your liking, then lube it. That's what I did.

The AAA is very waterproof. The electronics and LED are sealed with epoxy so even if water gets in the tube (unlikely) there is no harm done.

I sometimes use the momentary-on that tardis mentioned, by twisting the head almost ON, then pushing sideways with my thumb on the head. Works well. Just be sure to turn it 1/4 past OFF when your done to avoid it turning on accidentally.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon 3 Features:

Micro-Processor Controlled On/Off Switch. State of the art integrated circuit with seven modes selected and activated by rear mode button. In any of the 3 brightness levels or strobe modes, the light will stay on until the button is squeezed again to turn it off. In the auto shut-off mode, the light will start with several rapid flashes and then switch to full brightness before turning itself off after one minute. When switched off, the computer remembers the last mode of operation, and automatically returns to that mode when the light is turned on again.
-----------------------------------------------------

Do I understand all this to mean that I can select a brightness level and turn the device on and off several times with the light returning to my selected level every time unless I consciously change the level? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

(I am suddelny beginning to feel OLD, when I cannot immediately understand how to operate a flashlight!)

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
You set it to a level and it'll stay at that level...unless you hold the button in for too long and cycle through the levels again.

Press it once in the back and it turns on to your selected level.
Press the front and it's a momentary overdrive.

-Jason

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
The Photon 3 is worth looking at if you use the shower with your flashlights - intentional or unintentional. I know it's more water resistant than the Inova you described, but I don't know how deep it can go. And it's smaller and thinner than a Pocket Bright.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had taken a shower with my turquoise P3 and after that the front switch failed. The light was only sprinkled on and only spinkled on ONCE. This happened a few months ago and the switch is still malfunctional. The back switch works fine, though.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
arc aaa once broken in is fine unless you are arthritic or have weakness in your hands.just keep it clean and lubed.