Verizon DSL, Line Filters, and more

TOB9595

Enlightened
I just signed my Lady up for Verizon DSL. It comes with some line filters.
I thought I saw awhile back a post on phone line filters. I couldn't find much so a new post comes forth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I guess my first question is do I need filters on every jack?
inside the jack?
on the phone?

This will probably lead to Verizon DSL comments.
I can't find online what they supply in speed (1.5, The lady said.) and storage in email ?
The modem will arrive at the end of the week.
I don't want to have to install all the MSN stuff or other sales fluff. How can I do this?

In some parts of New Jersey you can choose your phone provider /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif In my locale, I cannot choose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The package for caller id, call wait, call wait id and long distance was 26.95/mo. dsl is 29.95/mo.

Verizon asked a Q I never expected. Who do I want to be the global www handler. QWEST or Connectives(?). I chose qwest for no reason.
What else do I need to know or ask re this DSL?
Tom

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I think you'll want a filter on every phone you intend to use for voice. If you need more than what they provide, you can get them pretty cheap.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom

I have the same setup with Verizon and installed a filter on every phone in the house, as they recommend.

I still receive static on the line while talking so I don't think that it's 100% effective but it's not a problem since I use other lines for conversation.

Your question about a global handler wasn't asked of me so I can't help you with that.

Marty

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, you need a filter on everything else that connects to the phone. Your satelite receiver, TiVO, whatever.

OR, you need to have one filter between all your phones and the DSL modem. If you have a professional install they will probably do that. They mount a single filter outside by the box and run a special cable to a single plug just for the DSL modem and you can still use the rest of your outlets however you choose. You could probably set this up yourself as well. The house we moved into recently had this done and it's nice not to have to find a filter everytime I want another phone or whatever.

If you want to keep using filters you can pick them up cheap and even online from bgmicro.com. I just noticed them in their "latest additions" section.

The problem I'm having now is that any line noise in the house, even if it's on the opposite side of the filters, or a bad phone or whatever can screw up the DSL. Mine is dropping in and out all the time for no apparent reason and the DSL folks claim it's noise on my lines and the phone company claims it's not noise on my lines (I can't hear any noise either) This is the downside of having multiple companies in charge of different parts of it as they will pass the buck until you either fix it yourself or just give up...

TOB9595

Enlightened
Just ordered the BGMicro filters.
Thanks

I'm sure that someone knows a thread to point me to for the info on filters inside the jack box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yeah, I know, you all will have fun with that.
Is the inline instead of phone connect filter gonna buy me any better filtering?
How bout any of the other needs or info I need with DSL?

I just wish I could get DSL at my house.
Tom

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I'll bring this up because I service fax machines in my job and I've seen some interesting things done with DSL filters. First thing, the plug end needs to go to the wall jack, the phone device's cord must be plugged into the socket on the filter marked "phone". People see a shortcut and reverse the connection by disconnecting the phone cord at the phone and plug the cable into the filter and the filter into the phone device. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif I can tell you right now that this will cause many fax machines to not dial or answer right. Some filters have 2 jacks to connect a cable to - but only one of the jacks is marked "phone" and should be used. The other jack usually is marked "DSL" and has no filtering on it.

Read the directions that come with the filters and follow those directions. You shouldn't have any problems. My Verizon DSL kit included 4 filters for table-top devices, and 1 filter for a wall-mounted phone. It was just enough for all my phones, answering machine, and DirecTV receiver. If you need more, I've seen them at many stores, including Best Buy, CompUSA, Menards, and Home Depot - usually where phone accessories are displayed.

Brock

Flashaholic
Not sure about the filters, but I have our house on two filters. I could hear the static with one, so I pluged another one in series, no more buzz. Luckily for me when we built I had all the jacks show up in the utility room, then they all plug in to a main jack where the filter is.