Using Heatpipes for LED Cooling

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Having found out how effective the Zerotherm Atom 30H Heatpipe heatsink is for cooling my SST-90 Modular light, I've had a closer look at heatpipes.

Farnell/Element14 even sells them in Australia in one-off quantities, ranging from -

$23.79+GST - 5mm - 100mm - 0.04deg/Watt - 40 watts Max to
$36.66+GST - 8mm - 300mm - 0.007deg/Watt - 65 watts Max

0.007deg/Watt means that if it's moving 50 watts, the temperature difference from end to end will be 0.35 degree !!!

Each heatpipe has a maximum power rating too, otherwise the fluid won't condense and it'll stop working.

You can download a guide that makes it clear that you must use a heatpipe with sintered interior, because all the other types have to be mounted with the heatsink below the heatsource
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/317989.pdf

Last edited:

Epsilon

Enlightened
We had a little discussion in the other thread (about copper/alu differences), where I talked about making my own heatpipes. But this is a very nice (and fool proof) solution.

Nice find!

Altough, heatpipes can be acquired for (a lot) less when deconstruction CPU coolers.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I've just ordered the 5mm x 100mm one for my SST-50 Headlamp.

I want it to run for a long time without a fan, without a massive heatsink, while keeping the LED as cool as possible, so I'll run the heatpipe from LED and along the heatsink.

Epsilon

Enlightened
Even new ones on sale can be cheaper.

I paid $38 (incl postage) for the Atom30H and got TWO heatpipes installed in a 30x30x5 mm copper block and very lightweight fins
That can be interesting :).

A thing I allways look for, is durability and stability in my designs. Fins "out in the open" is never a good idea then: they will be destroyed by accident in no time :(.

Enclosing the fins inside a host (tube) can be a solution (with a ducted fan).

bitslice

Newly Enlightened
look out for Dell heatsinks on Ebay,
they tend to be cheaper as they are box specific and are a bit more compact compared to the normal PC types.

Latest posts