Cree XP-E.....is it EZ900 or EZ1000?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, after searching here on CPF and also calling Cree today it is still a mystery. Does anyone here have any empirical evidence that the Cree XP-E is using the EZ 900 chip or is it the EZ1000? I know that the XR-E has been found to have both chips but the XP-E remains inconclusive.

The lady in CS at Cree told me she couldn't tell me that info as it was proprietary.:thinking:.......:shrug:.......:thumbsdow.....:scowl:.....:twak:
Honestly, I don't think she had a clue what I was talking about and I think that was the easy road for her to take but I could be wrong. I downloaded the XP-E data sheet and there was no mention at all of this either.

Anyone? Anyone?

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
I believe the xp-e uses the ez900. I say this because it appears to have the copper color backing behind the die. That and the lower vf are indicative of the ez900.

znomit

Enlightened
I believe the xp-e uses the ez900. I say this because it appears to have the copper color backing behind the die. That and the lower vf are indicative of the ez900.

Wouldn't the 900 have a higher Vf due to higher current density?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EZ900 is not just a cut down EZ1000 it uses newer construction technology like more advanced doping methods for the semiconductor. I'm not entirely sure about the exact methods as I'm sure it's a secret guarded better than Fort Knox gold but that would be the only way to explain the reduced vf AND smaller die size.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I wonder about is the apparent die size of XP-E vs XR-E. There is a noticable difference in size between the apparent size of mine but I wonder if that is because it really is smaller or if the dome is distorting the truth.

Hopefully someone around here will have an XP-E that can be sacrificed to take the dome off and take a real measurement. So far we can only speculate. I can say that all of the XP-E in my 4sevens lights(4) appear the same visibly compared to each other.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully someone around here will have an XP-E that can be sacrificed to take the dome off and take a real measurement.

I just ripped the dome off an XP-E and measured it for you. It was 1mm as I suspected. It was an older warm white one. Of course this does not eliminate the possibility they are using the ez900 as well just as they do in the XR-E.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Saabluster! :twothumbs Now we can be sure that they are not all EZ900. I guess we will have to continue to play the lottery game for a while with both XP-E and XR-E and trying to get the higher surface brightness of the EZ900. So the theory you had about the XR-E and Cree holding it back vs. the XP-E has more merit than if XP-E had EZ900 from the word go.

Why would the lady at Cree have said this info is proprietary? Isn't that like the car salesman not being willing to tell you what engine is under the hood or what transmission, tires, etc.? It doesn't make sense to me, unless she just had no clue what I was talking about.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more question for you, saabluster. Since you know that your XP-E is EZ1000 and you have XR-E that are too you can compare the apparent size. Did the XP-E die look smaller compared to the XR-E die? Can you remember how it looked before you popped the dome off?