The most disliked emitter

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Jax started a thread for the most loved emitter. I think we should also have the opposite thread.

What is your all time worst emitter to date?

rules...
1) you must have OWNED 3 or more LED lights in the past.
2) not looking for 2 answers ie,one for flood one for throw..
looking for: in your total flashlight experiance which emitter
did you dislike most
3) can be from any time period/ manufacturer,and any
type/bin/tint
4) brief description of why it got disliked the most
5) YOU MUST HAVE OWNED THIS EMITTER.
6) what light this emitter graced.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: the most hated emitter

I'll go first. XP-G hands down. 95% of the lights I own (or owned) with the XP-G have horrible tint and massive doughnut hole (LD20, T20C2 MKII, Maelstrom G5, SC60,....)

mbw_151

Enlightened

I don't know what emitter it was, but Inova put it in the x1 version 3 and took a perfectly reasonable light, the x1 version 2 and ruined it. There was a slight improvement in brightness and a huge drop in runtime, from about 8 hours to about 1.5. That is definitely my most hated emitter. This change occurred about the same time Inova put the Luxeon K2 emitter in the T1, T2 and T3 lights, not quite as bad a tradeoff of runtime for output but close.

jax

Newly Enlightened

haha,good thinking tre!!:thumbsup:
most hated for me is el cheapo 5mm old school led's,that i spent so much money on,before finding this forum..

tandem

Enlightened

Most hated? Probably the Nichia GS with its blueish output in the Fenix E01. But in the tiny department at least the E01 is also one of my favourite lights kicking around here.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most hated? Probably the Nichia GS with its blueish output in the Fenix E01. But in the tiny department at least the E01 is also one of my favourite lights kicking around here.

+1

After that, any emitter that is off center in its reflector.

Matt7337

Enlightened

I think your rules are backwards tre :p

I don't know to be honest. I might be with you on the XP-G but I'll have to have a long hard think about it and get back to you on this one :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Your thread is confusing... The title is asking for "the most hated emitter"

The body is asking for:
4) brief description of why it got the most love/tickled your fancy

looking for: in your total flashlight experiance which emitter
excited you most/felt the most love for/stands above all else
in the joy it gave you.

Which one are you after? I am not sure so I will give you both.

WORST:
Cree XRC and XPC... equally crap-tacular. Why they even created either of these is beyond me. You could make the argument that their smaller die size could be used for pencil-beam throw. But the surface brightness of either stinks compared to other emitters in the same footprint.

Best:
Warm tint MCE. Nice floody beam, great all around performer.

Last edited:

NeutronStar

Newly Enlightened

Another +1.

Although mine has a definite purple tint.

-ns

Tiresius

Enlightened

SSC P4. Never met any other emitter that I hate so much. Color tint sucks so much and it never fits my taste for the G2, U2 and 6P. I hated the fact that Surefire replaced my old Lux head with a P4 head on my U2 when water seeped through the lens.

Tint color sucks and the brightness sucks.

I like the XP-G in a OP reflector more. It's just so much better on my Qmini with a warm tint.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might have to say the XR-E because I have so many lights with it that have ringy beams. I was so happy to move on to the XP-E and XP-G with their cleaner beams. Sure, there are worse emitters, but I haven't had enough experience with them to develop any level of hate for them, so that's why I'm going with the XR-E, due to it annoying me with it's beam characteristics. :)

Most loved ATM, XP-G.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I might have to say the XR-E because I have so many lights with it that have ringy beams. I was so happy to move on to the XP-E and XP-G with their cleaner beams. Sure, there are worse emitters, but I haven't had enough experience with them to develop any level of hate for them, so that's why I'm going with the XR-E, due to it annoying me with it's beam characteristics. :)

Most loved ATM, XP-G.

FWIW... an XRE in the right reflector can have a completely ring/artifact free beam. its the poorly designed reflector that results in cree rings.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might have to say the XR-E because I have so many lights with it that have ringy beams.
+1

Can't stand the ringy beams.

I do have a couple of XR-E based lights (Fenix) that have really nice beams, but most of my P60 drop-ins have the bad rings.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know what emitter it was, but Inova put it in the x1 version 3 and took a perfectly reasonable light, the x1 version 2 and ruined it. There was a slight improvement in brightness and a huge drop in runtime, from about 8 hours to about 1.5. That is definitely my most hated emitter. This change occurred about the same time Inova put the Luxeon K2 emitter in the T1, T2 and T3 lights, not quite as bad a tradeoff of runtime for output but close.

Quoted for truth. They couldn't even center the algae-green thing in the reflector, too.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

All tightly focussed 5 mm LED/LED arrays.
The tight focussing creates a blue/purple center in the beam.

The worst is not a torch but a household spotlight. The beam is too narrow to be useful and the tint...

jellydonut

Enlightened

I'll go first. XP-G hands down. 95% of the lights I own (or owned) with the XP-G have horrible tint and massive doughnut hole (LD20, T20C2 MKII, Maelstrom G5, SC60,....)
That's not the emitter's fault.. I'll avoid saying too much. :poke:

I'll say the white 5mms in my SF A2, I guess they're Nichia somethings. Nasty blue softspot (warmspot? coldspot? :p) with a sickly blue/yellow corona. Blargh.