A bright light broke up a fight

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Just when I thought my pockets couldn't handle this 'hobby' anymore, I found myself suddenly in wanting of a brighter light after tonight.

A fight broke out on the street just outside my house. Western Syd has a reputation for crimes and the such, so it was no big surprise.

When I heard the verbal exchanges, I grabbed my trusty Mag2C(3x123A-7.2V) and headed onto my front porch to investigate.

I was standing on my front verandah which is 1 level up, projected the light onto the 3-4 guys that were pushing each other around on the street perhaps 10 yards or so away. I found I could focus the light tightly to an intense spot just on the face of one of them. The porch light was on, so my presence was illuminated, and this modified Mag managed to outshine the sickly yellow glow of the 60W household bulb.

It's amazing when the light came on, all of a sudden these guys changed in their behaviour. I hadn't even begun to approach them to inquire of the problem that 1 group hopped in their car and drove off. Shortly after the other guy picked up his clothes off my driveway and headed across the street.

Now I wonder about the convenience and value of bright rechargeable light for general household use.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caught 'em offguard and spooked them. May not always work but glad it did in this case, although I don't know if I would have gone over there especially if there was a group of them.

patg

Newly Enlightened
One of those knuckleheads could have been seriously injured had you NOT done anything. Good job. You'll never know exactly how much good you did.

Pat

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
When I get my Electrolumens 5W cyan...
A bright torch is essentially a peacemaker, tha's why my security guard friend is getting a very bright modded Benross 4033 for Christmas.
The cyan light from my BT2 has a startling effect on onlookers.
Just a quick flash of a Blue LED torch sends some thugs running for thier lives! Blue light is psyhcologically connected to cops in most people's minds. If that's the only thng they can see the instinct is for them to run in the opposite direction.
LED torches are still quite rare here so thier impact is far greater on the uninitiated!

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
Just a quick flash of a Blue LED torch sends some thugs running for thier lives! Blue light is psyhcologically connected to cops in most people's minds. If that's the only thng they can see the instinct is for them to run in the opposite direction.
LED torches are still quite rare here so thier impact is far greater on the uninitiated!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Totally agree, was playing with my Eternalight Raven 2 in a friends car the other day and on "cops" mode (blue & red flasher) I was amazed how vehicles all around us slowed down.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Way to go Onyx!

Like was said, you'll never know just how good you did.

Good thing I haven't shipped your package yet... I see an Ultra Stinger in your future!!!

My Stinger HP ~could~ come today.... I am quite excited!!!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
[QB]A bright torch is essentially a peacemaker, tha's why my security guard friend is getting a very bright modded Benross 4033 for Christmas.QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I work as an operations manager for a security guard company and it amazes me how few people in the trade will spring for a torch. I do my best to provide lights to the job sites, but due to company imposed limitations I can't put what I'd like in their hands. plus they get abused or stolen [who guards the guards?]. Most of them still stick with the Mag due to the age old LEO use stigma. Some though [a very few] have seen the "light". Got a new field supervisor right now who is really getting into lights. He saw a PT brochue laying on my desk and just pounced on it! I turned him on to CPF, he'll probably be posting soon!

Alot of these guys use mini-mags too. everytime I see one, oh how I wish I could give them or talk them into getting a drop in mod to preserve runtime and still have the durability of the mini-mag body. When I worked in the field if it was an indoor or daylight gig I would carry the mini to use for applying pressure point tactics if the need arose [luckily never did]. Due to the position I'm in now and the constant threat of liability I don't emphasis such tactics, even though we all know that by grasping the mini properly it can be used effectively for striking.

I have used my Asp Saphire [blue] while sitting in a vehicle and flashing it, it is true, blue lights can make the bad element run, if used in the proper context, but it can also get you in trouble too if you are viewed as imitating LEO.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is amazing what people will do under the cover of darkness that they wouldn't do in sunlight. That's the advantage of having a really bright light......make it day time. Besides the brightness, it upsets their night vision, so they have trouble seeing. That's one of the reasons I like my Light Cannon. To look into it really hurts your eyes. TX

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
The only problem about minimags, unless they're fitted wth a tail switch, they're difficult to turn on using the rotary head. You can't flash them one handed either. I've had a number of minimags and screw-switched torches in the past and got fed up in the end when they kept switching themelves on in my pocket.
When I came to get out my trusty torch to light my way, it was dead!
My home grown BT2 may have its limitations, and the tail switch protrudes out from the rear of the torch, but I've not had an accidental switch on yet, nor have numerous other owners.
I suppose Webley's statement about imitating Law Enforcemnt Offcers could be true in England, but you can't stop people owning blue torches or 3D mags!
A number of civilian cars here have been fitted with small blue LED lamps on the bonnet near the window washer outlets. You'll be amazed at the effect it has on motorists in front, particulary at night! All they can see through thier rear view mirror are two headlights and two blue LED's! I suppose the next thing they could do is trigger the car burglar alarm sounder!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empowertorch,

Funny that you mention the blue LEDs on cars. During the holiday I was listening to my scanner and caught a conversation between a few LEOs. One was citing ordinances prohibiting "blue" lights on a vehicle. At times you will hear them on an off channel where they may counsel each other. Apparently an officer had someone stopped and they had some blue lights. Don't know the details of the stop, but they were quoting statutes that prohibited blue lights on rear of vehicle, then another which sounded like it had a higher penalty for blue lights on the front of a vehicle, and finally one prohibiting using white lights for brake lights. Seems popular lately to have a white brake light with a small red spot in the center. These were state ordinances. No telling if LEDs would fall into these catagories, guess it depends on how the officer looked at things, circumstances of situation that occured.

BTW, yesterdAy I saw a Ford Bronco with blue LEDs on the wheels. Looked cool, wouldn't mind having them, unsure how LEOs would view that. The lights would flash on for a second or two then off for same amount of time. I wonder if these are the lights I saw on ebay.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Some of Y'all definetly have something with the blue beams. It could certainly cause the bad guy to freak.

Not sure what wheel lights you saw. There are some that screw onto the valve stem and are activated when the wheel spins. To each his own.

I saw a Chevy wrecker last night that had what appeared to be LED replacement bulbs in his tailights. There were perhaps 12-16 leds in a circular pattern times 4 bulbs (2 each side). It REALLY looked bright and unique!!! I've seen LED bulbs at AutoZone. Maybe those?