CPF cave trip in Central Tennessee. Any interest??

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked at that CA "camping" [they all seem to be camping in hotels, near as I can tell] trip thread a time or two and wondered why those Western CPFers should have all the fun. My interest in portable lighting is largely due to my principal recreational interest which is cave exploration. Here is a proposal for consideration. Would there be interest in a CPF member caving excursion by members within reasonable commuting distance of Nashville, TN? We are talking about undeveloped cave exploration [bring your own lights] not a show cave tour. If there is sufficient interest, I would rather do this sooner than later, preferably by the end of the month. I don't wish to get involved in a multi-month thread discussing it. I will secure access to the caves and provide guidence on necessary equipment [lights would be nice] and expected difficulty of the caves under consideration. Tentatively I am thinking of something like this: Saturday would be a trip to a horizontal cave with mostly walking passage with a limited amount of crawling and climbing. Trip duration to be whatever seems to be the group consensus but probably on the order of 3-5 hours. Anyone in even moderate physical shape should be able to enjoy this cave. The Sunday cave would be selected to accommodate those who are interested in a more challenging/extreme caving experience. I am thinking of a large multi-mile long cave that involves considerable full-body emersion and a few hundred feet of swimming. Wetsuit will be required and considerably more stamina/agility than the planned Saturday trip. You will spend considerable time walking on uneven surfaces without being able to see your feet [due to water depth]. Again, trip duration by group consensus but probably on the order of 5-8 hours.
While I have no extra beds, those wishing to crash here can fight over a couple of couches and there is plenty of floor space. Bring a sleeping bag. Alternately, for those desiring greater privacy, inexpensive lodging [under $30/night-single] is plentiful in the area.
Questions?
Interest?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
No interest? I would have expected you flashaholics to be attracted to dark places just as moths are attracted to light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, I might have some interest, I'm a long way from Nashville but I know a guy at Univ. of Tennessee and it would be fun to have a reason to go see him. When would this thing be? Is it cold in the cave in wintertime?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Hmm, I might have some interest, I'm a long way from Nashville but I know a guy at Univ. of Tennessee and it would be fun to have a reason to go see him. When would this thing be? Is it cold in the cave in wintertime?

[/ QUOTE ]
Paul-
Assuming that there is sufficient interest, I am thinking of the last weekend of this month or the first weekend of October depending on what works best for those who express serious interest. That is still pretty much Summertime around here. To answer your question concerning temperature, it is pretty constant throughout the year, 13-14C [56-58F] though the water temp can be a bit lower in the Winter.
BTW, Nashville is a city served by the cheapie airline, Southwest, and I am fairly close to the airport.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Re: CPF cave trip in Central Tennessee. Any intere

Doug S,

Dang! Really wish I lived closer. I'm interested in this type of poking around, however living in S. Fla. it is a mite hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif to find caves like what you describe. Should I find myself able to make it to TN, I'd like to take you up on the offer though. When you do another trip, please share with us surface folk, love to see the pix of the trip.

Lighthouse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

LoneRebel

Enlightened

Doug, that sounds awesome. Its a flashaholics dream come true. I'd love to do it but unfortunately I'm not up to the 2,378 mile drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Please post pictures of your cave excursion for us. I'd like to see what I'm missing out on.

Spudman

Enlightened

Doug,
I'm getting old, but I still remember going to Cumberland Caverns in McMinville TN with the boy scouts. We spent the night in the cave and went on the less commercialized tour. I learned how important dependable lights were in that cave. My lights now would've come in very handy. Plus, there's nothing like hearing ghost stories before bed when you're in a cave to make for a sleepless night.

PS. I'm originally a Nashville boy and would love to make a trip, but working around the kids (soccer, gymnastics, dance...) leaves me precious little time for doing fun stuff just for me. I'm the one with the driver's license.

Gary

Whistler

Enlightened
Cool, I would like to come. But there are a few problems:
-due to an accident I'm not able to move like this (I hope I will ever again...)
-distance is perhaps a little too long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But perhaps in the future I will, shot show and after that caving!

Here a link to a nice gallery site: Lupine

6pOriginal

Enlightened

Just noticed this thread, I currently go to school in Mississippi State University, so I guess Central Tennessee is just a few hours away....I never done any cave exploration before, but I am still interested...I basically love all the outdoor activities (or should I consider this one as indoor? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF cave trip in Central Tennessee. Any interest?

Whistler: I am sorry to hear of your injuries. I am hoping for your full and speedy recovery. Too far?? You are close compared to a couple of Tasmanian cave explorers that came to visit for a few weeks last year. Tasmania is close to exactly opposite the planet from me.

Spudman: Old?? How could you still have kids at home and be old? Maybe they just make you feel old. Have the spouse [Ex, as applicable] drive them around for a day and come on down.

6P: I am thinking that you are about 3 hours drive. That is close by my standards. Well, I suppose if you put doors on a cave, it would be indoors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr: were would you be coming from?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CPF cave trip in Central Tennessee. Any interest?

Boy, I'd sure love to come. It would be a bit of a drive but possible. i don't think that getting away in the next few months for any length of time is realistic though.

However, if we can manage a regular get together on the east coast I can almost certainly manage to join you at other times in the future.

Spudman

Enlightened

Doug,
I started a little late. 47 with a 1st and 3rd grader feels old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
We do still come to Nashville for family visits, so if the timing was right I might be able to squeeze in some flashlight time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Gary

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doug-I appreciate the invite; I've done some nice caves in Texas, and Tenn., but, I'm 60 now, bad knees, and other stuff you wouldn't want to take along.

Jumped out of perfectly good planes in my time, but time passes.......................

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened

I will come if at all possible. I go caving around chattanooga if anyone ever wants to come and go with me.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

It doesn't appear that there is the "critical mass" of interest to go forward with this. I think it is time to pull the plug on this proposal. Thanks to all that have given this thread a read.