Ahhhhh! Newbie blinded by info overload!

candl2263

Newly Enlightened
Reading these forums is like drinking from a fire hose (or getting a surprise shot to the eyes from an Fenix TK40!) LED types, bin codes, regulation methods, Quark square threads not mating with Quark regular threads, etc. All I wanted to know was if the Coast light at HD is any good!

But now, I've been sucked in. I don't really NEED a new single-AA for EDC, but how can I resist now that I know what's out there?

So I've narrowed my choices down to Quark AA R5 or Fenix LD10 R4. Any suggestions? I also see the Quark AA2 R4 is available as a neutral special edition, but to get it down to AA size I'd have to get an extra body tube (which may or may not match threads!)

Help!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Welcome to CPF, deep breath ;)
Quark AA r5 is a great start, it'll run circles aroun the homedepot Coast light.
The QuarkAA r5 is my bedside light.
Bright an reliable, an moonlight mode is great for middle of the night when your eyes are fully night adjusted.
The Fenix make good lights too, I have the LD20 in my truck, it was my EDC until three months ago ;)

joe1512

Enlightened
Keep in mind that there are a lot of minute details that really don't matter all that much.

So don't worry about whether you are getting square threads or not for example. Anything that you get that is recommended here is TONS better than the Home Depot stuff for sure.

Your best bet is to figure out what your exact use-case scenarios are. Basically, what are you using the light for?

Also, how often do you use the light?

---------

My advice for new people is the following:

**Use AA/AAA batteries. You don't want to deal with specialty batteries with special chargers and special rules that can also blow up on you.

** Make sure you get a light that fits your use-case. A 'high throw' light is highly prized around here, but for most of us, it is very undesirable apart from the coolness factor.

--------------

For an every day carry, once again I have to ask if its for occasional use or for your job or something.

Most people are happy with an "itp A3 EOS". This is a single AAA light that is a twisty (so it doesn't accidently come on) and is very small. It has 3 levels: 2,18,80 lumens and a nice beam. I like this light quite a bit and have given several as gifts. The light is barely bigger than the battery!
You can get an AA version called the A2, but all you gain is more runtime, which isn't worth the size-tradeoff.

It is great for keychain use, which to me is MUCH better than a so-called EDC. For infrequent or short-term use this is a great way to go. By 'short use' I mean using it for a minute at a time, or rarely for 5 minutes or so. i.e. NOT hours every day.

On maximum, 80 lumens with a good beam is MUCH MUCH better than any 1-LED squeeze light or 9-LED 3xAAA light youve ever seen. It will light up the backyard at night and is the equal of a 4D maglite with a huge spill beam (unlike incandescent) that lights up a big area.

If you go this route, use an Energizer Ultimate Lithium L92 battery. It won't leak and will work lots better for a high-current application like a flashlight.

------------

Another potential option is the 3xAAA flood to throw light. They are about the size of an AA light but fatter. You can get an AA flood-to-throw, but the low voltage means a dimmer light.

For 23 bucks, this romisen light is a great deal. In full flood, you dont have a glaring hotspot and so it is much nicer for lighting up an area without your eyes overcompensating due to the hotspot. Its great for working on stuff around the house due to the even lighting.

They are awesome to play with since they can go to Full Throw and you can see WAY off with the square-shaped beam. Super fun.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-215/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-C8-II/Detail

ANother bonus is that you can buy 2 CR123 batteries and use those instead of the 3xAAAs if you ever wanted to for whatever reason.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
But now, I've been sucked in. I don't really NEED a new single-AA for EDC, but how can I resist now that I know what's out there?

Say goodbye to your wallet. You're on a well-trod path to financial ruin. lovecpf

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice choices there. If this is going to be your first quality light, the Quark has the advantage that you can purchase only extra tubes to try out 1X CR123 or 2 X AA battery configurations as well (not recommended to use 2 X CR123 with the 1X AA head), but you're likely to want extra flashlights after the first one... The fact that you are now a CPF member is proof enough. Also, you get to have a low-low on the Quark, which the Fenix unfortunately doesn't have, but it's also a very very good flashlight. I personally find the single 123's fit better in my pocket or on my belt.

Neutral emitters are really nice in some people's opinions, others prefer cool or warm emitters. You'll have to figure that one out for yourself with trial and error. All I can say is that my experience has shown that the best color rendition with LED's comes from neutral emitters.

All Quark parts can be mix-matched except for the preons (and probably the Maelstrom, but don't quote me on that, ask your dealer). I even put a 1X CR123 tube on my Quark Turbo, so no worries there. Then again, I tend to purchase whole lights rather than just parts, but I've done it a few times and do not regret it.

I know this can be overwhelming at first, but the best cool-headed advice I can give you is to take it one step at a time, start with specific research on what interests you at the moment, then take it from there. Flashlights are really a hobby nowadays, and you need to start somewhere to understand your own expectations and needs, which means you need a light to start with.

Good luck and :welcome:

candl2263

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Yes, I know either will kick the tailcap off any of my current flashlights, but as you know, most of us who join these forums are picky detail-oriented types!

I do like the lego factor of the Quark... my comment about thread interchangeability came from a thread here discussing an odd batch of WW specials with a thread problem ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/285851 ), but I'm sure that's probably resolved by now.

I currently carry a Coast David 19, which has been great for what it is. I use it daily for a variety of tasks, from peering inside PCs to chasing cables through suspended ceilings. Mostly indoor work, but I'm thinking any new light will become attached to me 24x7 instead of just 9-to-5, so the variety of use will expand.

Thanks for the reminder about the moonlight mode on the Quark CarpentryHero; I had forgotten the LD10 doesn't have that, and it does appeal to me.

entoptics

Enlightened
I prefer the Quark for two reasons. The Fenix has one advantage though.

Quark = Moonlight mode FTW! You'll be amazed how useful the low-low is. The relatively bright 9 lumen low on the Fenix is a deal breaker for me.
Quark = slightly smaller than the Fenix

Fenix = Max brightness is OUTSTANDING on an AA.

Another cool thing about the Quark is the option to use 14500 Li-ion rechargeables. 2xAA power in 1xAA form (click my signature link for a beamshot comparison). Obviously the 14500 batteries are a bit of a hassle and expense, but could be worth it if your flashahaulic nature develops further.

Both lights are awesome IMO, but I can't live without a low-low mode, so the nod goes to the Quark for me.

tandem

Enlightened
I consider the Quark and Fenix AA lights to be very comparable. There'll be minor operational differences, beam differences, but we aren't talking apples and oranges, more like Spartan apples and MacIntosh apples.

You've probably read enough to realize by now that making a decision can be as complicated or as simple as you make it out to be. Pick what is most important to you and work from there. Some start at output (especially newbies), others at battery type, others at runtime, special features, beam shape, while still others care mostly about size.

For an EDC light, size clearly is important so that is a given. Personally I would only consider a 1xAA or 1xCR123 light for EDC and I lean AA size because I've got a fleet of AA (and AAA) rechargeable cells. AAA lights I find too small for EDC general purpose use but great for keychains. Thing is... my keys are often not on my person. My light is, virtually always.

For me other than AA driven EDC sized my hot requirement was high output over regulated runtime, and that narrowed the field quite a bit. At the time I last was looking for an AA powered EDC light the LD10 R4 was the industry leader, so I bought that. It also came (a sale package) with a traffic wand, wand style soft diffuser and a flood and red diffuser, for the same price as the next runner up so it was an easy purchase decision. Am totally happy with it.

Like I said the Quark and Fenix are quite comparable, so if I were to have to choose between just the two I would filter out one or the other based on their differences:

If the moonlight mode really appeals to me, I buy the Quark. If I want to lego heads and bodies in an AA or CR123A format light, I'm also going to go with a Quark (but do so carefully as you've read).

If max output on NiMH and Alkalines is most important, I'm buying the Fenix. They tend to be the flat-regulation max output master in any given light class.

I don't think you can go wrong with either (or any other maker's similar sized/powered light in this class). I believe the AA form factor light is one of the most useful form factors out there. Not too small, not too big, plenty powerful now these days. If it doesn't quite work for you there is no doubt it will make a fabulous gift for a friend or loved one down the road.

One last thought: Heed the advice to be found in someone's sig on this forum: friends don't let friends buy alkalines!

Last edited:

candl2263

Newly Enlightened
I did notice that the Quark supports the 14500 and the LD10 doesn't. I was quite surprised by the double run time provided by the 14500 over eneloops in selfbuilt's tests. Is the charge cycle lifetime comparable between the two battery chemistries? If I'm going to invest in rechargables one way or the other, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go with the 14500s. Guess I should go read some battery threads! I'll have to find some other info to push out of my brain to make room for more flashlight info.

tandem

Enlightened
14500 and other size formats in lithium ion chemistry rechargeable are special beasts that need to be handled properly in order to be safe. In other words, if abused, they can become quite dangerous.

Contrast that to NiMH rechargeable chemistry (like Eneloop and other brands you can buy at any store) and the chargers for it -- these are true consumer level products and are intrinsically safe, even if abused.

Both have their place. I use both technologies but I don't use 14500 / AA format lithium ion rechargeables because I just don't see the need for them as Eneloop and modern lights already deliver a powerful punch from a pocket sized light.

If I do need significantly more light for a meaningfully longer runtime, then I want to have a bigger host (flashlight body) that can handle the additional heat generated by running the same LED much harder, and am going to be looking for a much bigger cell size like 18500 or 18650. Then li-ion really comes into its own, delivering in a single cell what would take three AA NiMH cells to match.

If you have other devices around home or office that require AA or AAA cells, a good set of NiMH rechargeable cells and a decent charger will pay for itself for many folks pretty quickly. You can still leave your options open by buying a light that *can* run regulated or regulated on some output levels off a li-ion 14500 rechargeable cell, but perhaps you won't find a need for it.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Do you need to run more than 1 hour continuous? If not the 14500 is not required as you will be recharging between uses anyway.
Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235164

Quark AA R5?
*Pre-Order, 11/10* Quark AA, S2 Edition
Darn $10 more.

Did you consider the Quark MiNi AA? Available in Q5 warm, R4 neutral, R5 cool and pre-order S2 Edition.
Shorter and more pocketable than the ones on your short list.
Like the LD10 does not officially support 14500.

Last edited: