glowrings are out. take THIS !!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
glowrings are powered by a phosphorescent material of various colors stimulated by radioactive tritium gas inside. if this is really dangerous or not I do not know.
icon3.gif

but looking around a little bit I discovered some very cool traser(R)-powered light sources:

a map-reader and a torch/flashlight with never ending light for more than 10 years! no lithiums, no bulbs, ... soooo cool
cool.gif

mb2.jpg

mb4.jpg

they are made by a swiss company called mb-microtech.
here is the link: mb-microtech

and ...

NO, I do not own one of those
bluesigh.gif
, they said they aren't allowed to sell it to individuals unless you have a written permission by some obscure administration
mad.gif
YES, I want this stuff !
grin.gif

YES, I was trying to find it elsewhere, but couldn't.
NO, I do not think that you US-guys are allowed to import it either, seing that you can't even have glowrings
frown.gif

so ... has anyone got an idea how to acquire this stuff?
and do you think it is dangerous or not? for us, our pregnant wives or our children (hey yes, never forget this issue, or we might regret our hobbies/obsessions one day or another).

bernhard

soa

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by kiessling:
a map-reader and a torch/flashlight with never ending light for more than 10 years! no lithiums, no bulbs, ... soooo cool
cool.gif

YES, I want this stuff
YES, I was trying to find it elsewhere, but couldn't.
so ... has anyone got an idea how to acquire this stuff?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Penrith Survival?
"Betalight
A self-illuminated unit with a wide range of uses is compact, robust and has an in-service life of over ten years. Illuminates without affecting night vision. No batteries are required as a glass capsule internally phosphor-coated and filled with tritium gas, activates the phosphor to emit light.
Price in GBP:
£50.00 Incl VAT (UK & EU)
£42.55 Excl VAT (Outside EU)
Guide prices for information only:
Euros: € 79.69 Incl VAT
US Dollars: $ 66.06 Excl VAT
Telephone Orders: +44 (0) 17683 51666
Quote Product Ref: 55/242045/L3280 "

Kiessling

Flashaholic
thanx soa !

not as beautiful as those made by mb-microtech, but what the hack!
the'll be mine, all mine !
bernhard

B@rt

Flashaholic
The MB Microtech Beta light can be ordered here for about 152 Euro.
Drop Zone Supplies

Not sure if it is allowed to ship tritium products to Germany,so your best bet on getting one of these may be to find an UK member who is willing to order it for you and ship it to you.
rolleyes.gif

Shadows

Newly Enlightened
Nah, should'nt be dangerous...
from dansdata(led comparison 6 - tecnolite traser)...

Tritium is hydrogen-3 - instead of the single proton in the nucleus of a normal hydrogen-1 atom, it's got a proton and two neutrons. It's an unstable, radioactive isotope, but it's not very radioactive - just enough to keep thumping electrons into the phosphor coating on the Traser sticks. The same technology's used on various other luminous items that don't need to be "charged up" in light; old-fashioned radioluminescent formulations had more potent substances in them, which was bad news for the Radium Girls.

If you don't eat or inhale tritium, though, it's harmless; beta radiation (high energy electrons) can be dangerous if it's powerful, but beta radiation from tritium isn't.

So the glowy things in these lights aren't going to turn you into a superhero and/or cause you to sprout giant tumours. But they do make the lights quite visible in the dark, thus fixing the hole-in-my-bucket problem of not being able to find your flashlight because it's, ahem, dark

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I remember reading a very interesting artcle on antediluvian technology.
Ancient scripts record information about a light source which was not a flame and that emitted a bright green continuously for hundreds of years.
Could they have used tritium, I wonder?

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
I remember reading a very interesting artcle on antediluvian technology.
Ancient scripts record information about a light source which was not a flame and that emitted a bright green continuously for hundreds of years.
Could they have used tritium, I wonder?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If they had a way to coat glass and work with gasses I guess thats possible. I don't think tritum is naturally phosphorescent. They'd also need a lot of it since the half life is only 10-12 years or so.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, it isn`t the tritium that`s glowing, it`s the phosphor coating. The same sort of stuff they use in flourescent and cold cathode ("neon") tubing. Shine a black light at a Glowring and watch it light up like a highway flare!

-

Isn`t pure Radium phosphorescent? Heck, isn`t pure Phosphor phosphorescent? I`m sure there`s something vaguely naturally occuring that glows. And not fireflies, they generally quit glowing when they`re dead, and no firefly lives 300 years!

shocked.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yes, 535sawby, quite cool stuff. and very expensive. I am still reflecting on which one to buy, because ONE tritium light should absolutely be in my collection. I think I might go for the torch ...

and chris, some radioactive material is phosphorescent, but I think it is cobalt or something like that. could be the ancient stuff empowertorch is talking about. would be nice to read the article though, if he only could remember the source ...

bernhard

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone see the animated movie "Atlantis The Lost Empire"? Could be a colony of fireflies. One fly would not live 300 years... but perhaps a colony could.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
nope, haven't seen.
but would seem strange though ... I prefer the thought of radioactive isotopes.
should have given our ancesters some nasty burns though
smile.gif

bernhard

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Can someone buy the first 2 (Map Reader and Torchlight) pictured and send it to me? I will pay $$ in advance for cost and can comensate , please see here if you can help:

WTB

Thanks