Tough, compact AAA Lights

curby

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Arc as my AAA/keychain lights of choice. I stuck with that partially because I don't use many AAA lights so my research has been elsewhere, and partially because it is so tough that I didn't want to gamble on something that's less proven.

Now with the Preon Revo and other more recent lights, is it finally time for an upgrade? In short, I want a tech upgrade to the tough Arc-AAA. In more words and in order of importance:

1) Slim, short single AAA form factor
2) Simple twisty interface: fewer mechanical parts to break
3) Strong head: thick window, potted electronics, good threads
4) Durable, reliable keychain/lanyard attachment hole
5) Works well with lithium primaries and NiMh rechargeables
6) Efficient, reliable driver
7) Efficient, recent emitter tech
8) Good flood for close-up work

The Preon Revo, perhaps in stainless for more strength, seems to be the way to go. However, AFAIK 4Sevens doesn't use potted electronics, and I haven't been able to gather much info on how durable they are under hard use conditions.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Stick with the Arc, go ITP/Maratac, Preon Revo, or something else entirely? Thanks!

Kindle

Enlightened
Peak Eiger AAA/10440 meets your specs to a 't'...especially when it comes to durability & potted electronics.

Check here for a visual comparison with the Arc, another thread with some testimony regarding it's toughness and finally a general overview of the product line.

Last edited:

Lumenz

Enlightened
Peak Eiger AAA/10440 meets your specs to a 't'...especially when it comes to durability & potted electronics.

If you go with a Peak light, I would recommend buying one from the Marketplace rather than from the Peak website. If you can navigate the confusing website, you will have to wait up to a month just to get your light.

I have a few Peak Eigers and they are great. But after my last experience with Peak, I will never buy another light from them again.

cambel

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me this doesnt exactly meet your criteria but I just got a eagletac pn20c2 in the mail today from illuminationgear and it is awsome. It is a 2AAA but they sell a single version. I dont believe it has potted electronics but I dont really know. But as far as small AAA, or pen lights go, this thing rules. Its perfect, medium setting and high, optional color filters, tough as nails for a penlight, clicky tail twisty mode select. Maybe not what your after but check it out.

bobjane

Enlightened
I wouldn't say the ITP A3 is strong. I dropped mine from waist height and the head stopped working. However I liked everything else about it so much that I bought another.

Darvis

Enlightened
Peak Eiger because of its handmade american never-fail-you-ever-super-simple-sweetfloodybeam goodness

Preon ReVo because it's a AAA light that thinks it's better (and is) than many other bigger, badder lights. Plus, it runs FOREVER on low. I think it's easily one of the top 5 production lights ever made, period. Get a Stainless Steel one while you still can.

You need one of each, oh, and read this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/287386

Last edited:

choombak

Enlightened
Stick with the Arc AAA - it won't fail you, ever. And, get a new light too - there are excellent suggestions in this thread related to the Peak lights, and I am with them.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
It's really too bad the AAA Maratac doesn't have a serviceable clip/lanyard ring. It is a great EDC light, with excellent runtime. I've dropped mine numerous times, washed/dried it, and even turned it and used it as a tent light for an entire weekend (fresh cell @ medium and drained it completely) Went through 3 batteries that weekend which is pretty great.

I really wish it had a milled hole in the tail that would accept even a small split ring. Even without the keychain carry, I'd still buy a Maratac AAA and just pocket carry.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had no problems with my ITP A3, even with short drops onto hard surfaces. I'm not sure how durable it is, but it has very useful levels and a really nice beam. I wish it had mode memory, but it's still a great light. Mine is SS, but really, in a light this size (or most any portable light we CPFers talk about here), there's no strength advantages of SS over aluminum. The circular structure is inherently strong and an aluminum light will handle beatings just fine without damage. The components inside are a different thing, but the body itself won't be a problem (not talking about dents on bezels and whatnot...those are aesthetic).
My Fenix E1 (predecessor to these current Fenix AAAs) has taken beatens and always keeps working. It's marred up pretty good from keys, knives, dropping on concrete and asphalt, thrown, etc...but it's not exactly a "hi-tech" light...low output, single level, nothing fancy. Useful for close up stuff and really dark conditions but not nearly as versatile as the ITP A3 (which can virtually be used as an EDC due to it's output).

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i only buy 1xAAA lights and live in the wilderness so they get daily hard use.

for me, the two toughest to date are the Arc and Mako (limited run).

fenix E01, and possibly the soon to be released E05, come reasonably close.

i can't comment on a Eiger as i haven't had the pleasure yet.

while the iTP, Maratac and IlluminaTi are amazing and i currently carry a ReVO (smallness and huge low-power runtime) for its brightness, i wouldn't put any of them in the same "toughness" class as an Arc or Mako.

Kindle

Enlightened
If you go with a Peak light, I would recommend buying one from the Marketplace rather than from the Peak website. If you can navigate the confusing website, you will have to wait up to a month just to get your light.

Oveready carries Peak products now as well (I believe they are out of stock of Eigers though).

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really too bad the AAA Maratac doesn't have a serviceable clip/lanyard ring. It is a great EDC light, with excellent runtime. I've dropped mine numerous times, washed/dried it, and even turned it and used it as a tent light for an entire weekend (fresh cell @ medium and drained it completely) Went through 3 batteries that weekend which is pretty great.

I really wish it had a milled hole in the tail that would accept even a small split ring. Even without the keychain carry, I'd still buy a Maratac AAA and just pocket carry.

I've carried my Maratac AAA on my keychain using the supplied clip for many, many months now with no strength issues of any kind. I have lotsa stuff on my keys, and am constantly pulling them into and out of pants and jacket pockets, including jeans. Don't be fooled; the clip is fine.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
I've carried my Maratac AAA on my keychain using the supplied clip for many, many months now with no strength issues of any kind. I have lotsa stuff on my keys, and am constantly pulling them into and out of pants and jacket pockets, including jeans. Don't be fooled; the clip is fine.

Not sure if anythings changed on them in the last year and a half. I bought one of the first series in Natural and my lanyard ring would spring off pretty regularly. :sigh:

JTElectric

Newly Enlightened
I just got an ARC AAA, and will vouch it's a solid little light. I got it used and it was pocket carried on his keys for 2 years, and does NOT look like it, and works every time! However, it's a little dated, but bulletproof.

I'd cast my vote towards the Preon Revo, either in HA Aluminum or SS...very very nice lights, the guy I got my ARC from went to a Revo, so that tells you something. The low is perfect, you can run it with one hand, it weighs about nothing, and it's got a glass window. It also has pretty decent throw thanks to the R2 emitter, and the high is just ridiculous for something this size, I LOVE the Revo! Plus it tailcap stands, while it's hooked to your keys, as long as the wind isn't blowing haha! Good luck with your search!

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if anythings changed on them in the last year and a half. I bought one of the first series in Natural and my lanyard ring would spring off pretty regularly. :sigh:

had the same problem with those i purchased when first released. :shrug:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Maratac. Bought mine with the intention of replacing the old keychain Arc, but it's still hanging in there. If I didn't already have the Maratac I'd probably be getting a Revo.

Geoff

Tesla

Enlightened
...and yet again for the Maratac stainless. Having dropped mine for about the 7th or 8th time, it seems indestructible. I can't vouch for the keychain attachment. I carry mine in a front pocket using the supplied clip. The clip could be a little more robust (& nickel plated or stainless), but it really hasn't been an issue. I have one of the early ARC AAA's & retired it because of flickering issues (yes, I know how to clean contacts & threads). As do most here, I have lots of lights for lots of purposes, but this is my EDC.

bobjane

Enlightened

You could put the Maratac AAA head on an iTP EOS A3 body and have exactly what you want.