Secret interest

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else here have to keep this interest a secret from their significant other? If my wife knew how many flashlights (even though by the immediate company's standard I'm sure my 7 or so lights pale to the quanities others list here) in I have, she'd sh$t a brick. :sssh:

I have 2 or 3 more on my list. And one will be stashed in her and my daughter's car for emergency purposes.
My daughter won't rat me out. Well, if she does she loses her car. :whistle:

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Yes I have to have my flashlights I buy shipped to my folks address so my wife doesnt see any USPS, UPS, Fedex boxes and bust my balls after. I f she catches me I always say it just batteries or cheap parts from china I ordered.

Track Terror

Newly Enlightened
No I made sure I married a woman who had no interest in being my mom. When she spends I don't even look at her stuff unless she shows me something and she does the same for me.

We certainly don't worry about $50-100 here and there. Now if one of us wants something that's a lot more expensive we certainly discuss it out of respect and budget.

I would go absolutely bonkers if I had to constantly worry about sneaking stuff past my wife.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife doesn't care, so long as the bills get paid. She's got a good job and her own cash so it's not a problem (so long as I keep it within reason).

I spoke to her the other day about getting a small lathe so I can make my own heatsinks and hosts , she just said, "So long as you use it and it doesn't just sit there doing nothing." No problem of that dear.

Darvis

Enlightened
Ah, if my storage bins could talk... the divorce proceedings would be quick

tandem

Enlightened
Nope, no hiding here of light purchases from my wife nor of any purchases for that matter.

I have a few more lights to acquire or build up before years end and at least one of them is for her.

shane73

Newly Enlightened
I dont hide it either. Just the other day I was on here reading about the Stanley HID0109 HID Spotlight and just knew I had to have one. The next day we were coming back down the highway and as we came up on Lowes, I told her I needed to run in and grab something right quick. I came out with my new yellow super bright spotlight with a smile on my face. First thing she asked me was how much did I just spent on somthing I did not need. I told her they was on sell for $9.99 so I thought I would pick one up. She said oh, that wasn't bad. Im glad all these getting ready to show up in the mail next week were on sale for $5 each :naughty:

Timbo

Newly Enlightened
I don't hide what I buy (flashlights and knives) but I maybe don't speak too openly about the price. Although my flashlights so far have all been under £50 with the exception of the H501 £53 I just ordered and a RA Clicky I have my eye on oh and a Catapult V2 and emmm. Ooooh shiny stuff I got to stop

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
I find it wierd that I have so many hobbies or collections and other people I know have few or none. Am I (are we) eccentric or are they bland and boring?

Typically the stuff I buy is not over the hill expensive.

All my flashlights sit on a display ledge adjacent my transistor radio collection that sort of wraps around the perimeter 2 to 3 ft from the ceiling of the home office. IMO hobbies and collectables are to be shared and appreciated by all whom visit. If they don't appreciate my collection, that's their problem.
Worthy note: I think there's a massive difference between those that have a neat and clean collection versus those that have a cluttered collection, in and around drawers etc. Hoarders? Maybe some of our collections ressemble that of a trophy room. I know mine are dusted and sometimes reorganized every week/month or so.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it wierd that I have so many hobbies or collections and other people I know have few or none. Am I (are we) eccentric or are they bland and boring?

Typically the stuff I buy is not over the hill expensive.

All my flashlights sit on a display ledge adjacent my transistor radio collection that sort of wraps around the perimeter 2 to 3 ft from the ceiling of the home office. IMO hobbies and collectables are to be shared and appreciated by all whom visit. If they don't appreciate my collection, that's their problem.
Worthy note: I think there's a massive difference between those that have a neat and clean collection versus those that have a cluttered collection, in and around drawers etc. Hoarders? Maybe some of our collections ressemble that of a trophy room. I know mine are dusted and sometimes reorganized every week/month or so.

Not having hobbies would be boring. So long as you can afford your hobby/hobbies, it's great to have something to put your mind on.

To the OP's questions...luckily, my fiancée is a flashaholic herself! Although, not as much as I am. She is understanding of purchases I make under the Hobby budget though :D

Post #1,000 :party:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
My fiancee doesnt like it when i go behind her back. But i think she tolerates it cause its not like im cheating on her. Which would be WAY worse.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I spoke to her the other day about getting a small lathe so I can make my own heatsinks and hosts ...

If their manual Lathes are as good as their CNC Lathes, this would be a great lathe for you. My Emco CNC is going on 20 years with daily usage.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
I make it a practice to be completely open about my flashlight expenditures .

now , fishing tackle , not so much ...

:devil:

I am reminded of the old story about a man who hoped that in the event of his death , his wife would not sell his gear for what he told her he paid for it ...