cow orkers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your light

KIT19RTX

Newly Enlightened
cow orkers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your light

Any interesting stories of coworkers and other acquaintances, who get bothered even hot when you don't grant them permission to borrow your flashlights?

Anyone who insistently asks me what the silver clip on my pants is will receive a round around so long they would think they've been drugged and brainwashed by the time I'm done deviating there attention off of what is clipped to my pants LoL

I've used this technique several times in different matters. From pokey little children to adult men and woman who want to act like pokey little children.

Need some pointers? I think I picked up on this technique watching The Bill Cosby Show. Some people just have a hard time saying no ,at least with the run around you can try and tire and dissuade their attention or just wait till you are tired of giving the run around and unleash the smack down on those pesky may-i -can-i-whynot body's.

Last edited by a moderator:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: coworkers and other aquaintances whom act as if they have a right to borrow your

Ask if you can borrow their girlfriend, fiancée or wife.

If they say no, then you say no.

If they say yes, well...

jellydonut

Enlightened
Re: coworkers and other aquaintances whom act as if they have a right to borrow your

Boss wanted to borrow my light. I was hesitant - with a grin he said 'expensive batteries, huh?'

It's not that CR123s are that expensive, it's that I didn't have spares, in the middle of nowhere. :sigh::mecry:

BREAM

Newly Enlightened

If they say yes, well...

I've used that one myself. lol

GeetarHero

Newly Enlightened

That's why I carry two lights! (Not counting the E-O1 on my keychain) If they ask I just loan them my beater light! :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

If they say yes, well...
How's that working out for you so far?
str.gif
thinking.gif
shrug.gif
icon10.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

If they say yes, well...

That is so funny. My wife would kill me if I said it, but it is still a great comeback. I usually loan out something under $ 10, or more often a trinket light I received for free.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have loaned things reluctantly at times. I tell them what they will have to pay me if anything happens to it beforehand. If it is a $20 item I tell them it will cost $30 to replace and so on. If they realize how expensive something is and it will come out of their pocket if not returned they get very careful and sometimes don't want to borrow it again. It is nice to have a witness that you loaned it out also, one that is not going to disappear when it does.

Eslocklier

Newly Enlightened
Re: coworkers and other aquaintances WHO act as if they have a right to borrow your l

I just executed my first and last loan. My buddy has had my Z2 over a week now. :mad:

ackbar

Enlightened

I have loaned things reluctantly at times. I tell them what they will have to pay me if anything happens to it beforehand. If it is a $20 item I tell them it will cost $30 to replace and so on. If they realize how expensive something is and it will come out of their pocket if not returned they get very careful and sometimes don't want to borrow it again. It is nice to have a witness that you loaned it out also, one that is not going to disappear when it does.

+1

It drives me nuts when people start grabbing stuff out of my PANTS pockets without asking me. It has happened to me 4x in the last 2 years. Gotta start putting my game face back on. :p

MXDan

Newly Enlightened
Re: coworkers and other aquaintances WHO act as if they have a right to borrow your l

My worst experience with this:

I had an employee come into my office and ask to borrow my flashlight. I handed it to her thinking it was for her.

20 minutes later I go upstairs to find her and she tells me someone walked in from outside and asked to borrow a light because they locked their keys in their car.

I immediately go outside to find the car in question pulling out onto the street, with my light, never to be seen again.

Here's the ridiculous part:
It was a vitalgear 2 cell body with an e2c adapter and a p90 bulb running on 2 unprotected rc123 cells. That light was worthless to the *******s that stole it. Runtime was limited as is, and I'm sure they'd have no idea how to recharge it. Even if they bought 123s for it, it wouldn't work right!

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

Family members will often "borrow" lights without asking, I discourage this because I have lost multiple lights to irresponsible "borrowing". The rusty inova and the direct drive 5mm in the closet are supposed to be "their" lights... I'll buy them some lights from DX for christmas I guess.

ackbar

Enlightened

Family members will often "borrow" lights without asking, I discourage this because I have lost multiple lights to irresponsible "borrowing". The rusty inova and the direct drive 5mm in the closet are supposed to be "their" lights... I'll buy them some lights from DX for christmas I guess.

I guess you will need to return the favor by "borrowing" something of theirs that they worked hard for and then treating said item the same way they did. I swear, some people have no respect for other people's property.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Just keep cheap junky lights around where people reside that must "borrow" things and loan then the $5 lights and refuse to let go of the nicer ones.

sabre7

Enlightened

Learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago. Items I never allow to be used out of my sight under ANY circumstances are: flashlights, tools, lawnmowers, cars, bikes, knives, musical equipment, and photography equipment. For some reason, some borrowers feel free to abuse, misuse, break, keep, or re-lend those items. A firm NO! meaning the discussion is over works every time.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

The older I get, the less patience I have with people. Most of the time people who are upset from asking me to borrow something are upset because I told them the truth about how the need for such an item was very obvious and should have been foreseen, or how they didn't take care of their own equipment and sure as hell weren't going to borrow and destroy mine.

I have zero trouble telling someone no.

Billy Ram

Enlightened

I keep a m*g85 and a m*g09 at work that get used by quite a few folks. I see a new scratch or ding once in a while but haven't given it any thought. once in a while I end up helping someone build one after using one of mine.
Billy

TRITON

Newly Enlightened

Nothing gets on my goat more than someone who just expects you to automaticaly hand over some piece of equipment that they want to borrow.:scowl:.

Even some people who pay you out or get nasty with you because you won't let them use something ( ah whats the matter, scared I might put a scratch on your torch,knife multitoolwhat ever).

If some wa@#ker doesnt think it nessecery to carry a few easy to E.D.C tools or a torch on them its not my F!@#en problem. PERIOD!.

I learnt a long time ago to be incogneeto so to speak, also found other people dont seem to respect your stuff especially when the havent payed a healthy price for it ($200 plus AEON ).To them its just a torch or whatever.

If I know well and trust someone that I believe is like me and will respect the said item to be borrowed I will probably lend it to them, but even then I have that uneasy feeling until I get it back.:(

The way I think is if I can go a little bit out of my way ( ok sometimes a lot out of my way) to buy and carry some small handy sometimes life enhansing tools or gadjet or a torch (because 50% of your life is spent in the dark) then why cant everybody do the same.

Accidents do happen,I have lent people I trusted things in the past only to discover they have cut themselves or dropped the torch or broken the tip of the screwdriver or something (never underestimate the level of human stupidity) and then sometimes not even bothered to say sorry or anything about it. I HATE THAT!.

Sorry I'm having a bit of a dummy spit but REALLY ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY!. ( give us your torch, NO but i'll shine it on what you want to see) If they complain about that I get my hackles up. NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO DEMAND MY STUFF!!.

Ok now i've finnished I think, like someone else said, can I borrow your torch ? NO .. can I borrow your wife ?. NO.. Peoples stuff is personal so respect there yes or no, there maybe a good reason why they dont want to lend something out to you !. I like my stuff the way I like my stuff and I didnt hunt all over the world (almost) to go have to put up with halfwits or even fulwits for that matter to winge at me when I dont let them use one of my precious. Life or death situation I would not hesitate to help someone out but the ****head radar is always ON. :thumbsup:

ejot

Enlightened

+1

It drives me nuts when people start grabbing stuff out of my PANTS pockets without asking me.
That could be acceptable, depending of course on who was doing the grabbing. :naughty::laughing:

I love lending out lights. Sharing the thrill and helping out others less prepared are big parts of the hobby for me. Everyone I work or live with do act as if they have the right to borrow my lights, because they do. Free reign on whatever is sitting out at any time. It's a small enough group of people with enough respect for property that I haven't had a single issue. I've lost lights on my own but never due to lending.

Think of the disappointment, if my roommates were no longer allowed to have DEFT vs. DEFT light sword fights in the backyard.