Fenix LD10 R4 NiZn vs Eneloop

aau007

Enlightened
I have been trying to find out how much difference does the NiZn make and I just got my wish because Shnoop had that one day sale.

So I took each a fully charged NiZn and Eneloop off the charger and took a beam shot of each about 5 feet from the wall. Camera was manually set for 1/500 shutter, F2.8 aperture, ISO200 and here are the results.

Eneloop, 15 minutes off charger:

IMG_1222.JPG

NiZn, 5 hours off charger:

IMG_1223.JPG

It does show the NiZn being a little brighter but not sure if anyone can tell with naked eyes, but it is brighter as shown in the pics.

I have read that Fenix uses constant current driver. Therefore, if higher voltage results in more light, that means their buck up circuit is a multiplier instead of bucking up to a specific regulated voltage. Does anyone know what that multiplier is? Or is there no buck up and just straight voltage?

tandem

Enlightened
In the immortal words of one H. Simpson: Mmmmm, doughnut! :)

Yeah, it's an XP-G, and yeah, it has a smooth reflector, and yeah, it has a doughnut hole like a great many other XP-G lights have. Perhaps it's a little worse due to the SMO reflector but the trade offs made produce a throwy enough beam that works for me on the ground if not on beam shots of walls.

All this talk of deep-fried batter is making me hungry and thirsty. I'm hoping that instead of doughnuts when the XM-L emitter starts showing up in small lights we see a coffee-cup pattern.

aau007

Enlightened
Do you loose low mode with the NiZn? I assume you do.

look at that doughnut hole:eek:.
All modes works fine. Low, med, high, turbo, strobe, SOS are ok. Just like the light is on a little steroid.

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
The LD20 with two NiZn batteries will lose modes because it's being driven at 3.2V. Since the head is the same between the LD10 and LD20, the LD10 is fine with 1.6V.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lightbox shows 120lm with NiMH, 145lm with NiZn, and 177lm with a 14500.

tandem

Enlightened
How is heat build up on NiZn and 14500 LiCo on Turbo?

PS: Is the 14500 used a protected cell? Wondering about the fit of protected 14500 cells in the LD10.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is heat build up on NiZn and 14500 LiCo on Turbo?

PS: Is the 14500 used a protected cell? Wondering about the fit of protected 14500 cells in the LD10.

I haven't run it with the 14500, just checked the output for comparison. I used an AW protected with button top, fit is close lenghtwise. I tried a protected Ultrafire and it was too long.

The longest I've run it with the NiZn is about 5 min. on Turbo. It got warm, but not uncomfortable.